Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting one of these bad boys and have been following a few of the posts. Most of them are on performance and speed.

I'd like to know what you think in terms of the handling in groomed trails and also in the rough stuff. I ride in both. How about ski-lift?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
[quote name='smgunning' date='Jan 8 2005, 09:18 PM']
I'm inquiring about the 05's...
[snapback]258110[/snapback]​
[/quote

In my opinion this sled handles awesome on the trails - i know some guys are complaining about soft suspension in the rough stuff(bottoming out) but i'm happy with it. Turns awesome, lots of acceleration on the trails, i don't think you'll be disappointed unless you are a mougle masher or ditch banger, the positioning on it is comfortable and i find when i get into rough stuff, because your feet are under you you just lift up and let the sled take the bump.Skis push a little in soft snow, and if you want them to lift - just sneak back on the seat - if you want them to stay down - sneak forward. Awesome sled - very happy - if you want performance, lake running and a good handling trail sled - if you just want a trail sled with awesome suspension a rev may be the ticket

·
Registered
883 Posts
Be ready for some opinionated responses...that being said, here's mine:
Handling on smooth fast trails is excellent if it's tight. I'm not a fan of the precisions, so comparing it to other ski-doos with precisions I'd say it's better. This can be attributed to the lower center of gravity.
Now, that lower CG (in my opinion) has effected the ability of this chassis in the rough stuff. If more of your riding is less than well-groomed, I'd recommend the 05 600 SDI or 800 HO in the REV chassis.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Sled handles great if the bumps are not to big, we are running Usi SPX skis and they work good, a little heavy on the steering but you know where your sled is going. This sled is not a mogul masher! Everyone that ordered one knew this coming in. It fits my riding style perfect as we like to run 80 plus mph all day. This sled doesn't burn gas or oil! We are seeing around 15 miles per gallon and at 700 miles I have only put 1 1/2 gallons of oil in it! I rank it a 9 in handling.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
smgunning said:
I'm inquiring about the 05's...
[snapback]258110[/snapback]​
Look how I ride trails on the old 2001 Mach Z. The 05 has to be light years better than my sled. I say buy one

Cheers,
Evel

P.S. there are a few places in NY that still has em for 9299-9499.. Plus ft. and tax.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here's my observations after 400 miles of riding in all conditions: It is not as great a ditch banger as my 2003 REV MX-X, but better than anything else I've ridden. It is a great trail sled with more room and a more relaxed riding position than a standard REV. Other larger size riders with REVs that have tried mine agree. It is also pretty good in the powder - just watch for snow coming in the front vent under the bumper and melting. There is a filter kit available for it though.

I did have trouble with too much ski lift, sometimes 0 to 80 mph with a good hook-up. But I have since set the shocks up stiffer and shortened the limiter strap and it has made a big improvement.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just wanted to say, great thread. I have an 03 blair mxz-x, and I am debating between the MACH or Yamaha RX-1. Reliability concerns me as well as awesome performance, I just got back from a 350 mile day of riding at about 80-90 mph average speed, and I cannot imagine riding anything else but a DOO, but I dunno....Keep the answers coming guys and gals......This is the only place we get the truth.

Cheers !!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
SERPAGS said:
Just wanted to say, great thread. I have an 03 blair mxz-x, and I am debating between the MACH or Yamaha RX-1. Reliability concerns me as well as awesome performance, I just got back from a 350 mile day of riding at about 80-90 mph average speed, and I cannot imagine riding anything else but a DOO, but I dunno....Keep the answers coming guys and gals......This is the only place we get the truth.

Cheers !!!
[snapback]259288[/snapback]​
I also came off of an 03 Blair Morgan and as far as rough trails or "ditch-banging" goes the blair is a better sled. On a smooth trail the mach is hands down a better handling sled. By far the best ive ever rode. I thought I may regret the change but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Oh and by the way.......the mach will hang the skies till 80mph!!! Definately a bonus!

·
Registered
101 Posts
andy670ho said:
Sled handles great if the bumps are not to big, we are running Usi SPX skis and they work good, a little heavy on the steering but you know where your sled is going. This sled is not a mogul masher! Everyone that ordered one knew this coming in. It fits my riding style perfect as we like to run 80 plus mph all day. This sled doesn't burn gas or oil! We are seeing around 15 miles per gallon and at 700 miles I have only put 1 1/2 gallons of oil in it! I rank it a 9 in handling.
[snapback]258247[/snapback]​
im seriorly thinking of buying a 05mach. however the feedback on the mogal riding is a concern. i would like some feedback on this idea: what if i put shocks from a 05 800x on front and m 10 in rear. i cant imagine this would not solve the suspention issues. thanks for any and all feedback

·
Registered
489 Posts
carmotive said:
andy670ho said:
im seriorly thinking of buying a 05mach. however the feedback on the mogal riding is a concern. i would like some feedback on this idea: what if i put shocks from a 05 800x on front and m 10 in rear. i cant imagine this would not solve the suspention issues. thanks for any and all feedback
[snapback]268860[/snapback]​
I ordered the M-10 yesterday (Fox zero comp pro shock setup) and already have Fox Floats on the front. I love the Floats and can't wait to try this sled with an M-10....I am hoping to have the best of all worlds with this sled (Handling and speed). The premature Hyfax wear has me concerned about the 1000 mile trip I have planned for later this season. At 380 miles mine are worn out!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Soldier said:
carmotive said:
andy670ho said:
I ordered the M-10 yesterday (Fox zero comp pro shock setup) and already have Fox Floats on the front. I love the Floats and can't wait to try this sled with an M-10....I am hoping to have the best of all worlds with this sled (Handling and speed). The premature Hyfax wear has me concerned about the 1000 mile trip I have planned for later this season. At 380 miles mine are worn out!
[snapback]272169[/snapback]​

M10 IS NICE BUT YOU WILL LOOSE A COUPLE MPH'S !!

·
Registered
489 Posts
MEA said:
Soldier said:
carmotive said:
andy670ho said:

M10 IS NICE BUT YOU WILL LOOSE A COUPLE MPH'S !!

[snapback]272387[/snapback]​
A little off the top end is OK with me. I would rather have the comfort. This sled fits me better than my GSX 800. I am 6'3" and like the riding position better on the Mach. The speed from this thing is scary fast enough for me!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
carmotive said:
andy670ho said:
Andy
Is my math bad or is your sled using oil at about a 30-1 ratio?

Soldier
Which part number Fox Floats did you put on? Are they the longer shocks that fit a regular Rev or have they been shortened? I am thinking of Rev shock to smooth out the ride a bit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I will have to agree the sled handles good dose not take bumps at high speed very well i think.
the fix is easy x shocks all the way around and you will have the best all around ride and proformance i added flex skis to top the cake off.
like riding on a cloud,sure hope they get the hyfax and plug problem taken care ove soon so i can go for a real ride with it ..

·
Registered
489 Posts
xcpilot said:
carmotive said:
andy670ho said:
Andy
Is my math bad or is your sled using oil at about a 30-1 ratio?

Soldier
Which part number Fox Floats did you put on? Are they the longer shocks that fit a regular Rev or have they been shortened? I am thinking of Rev shock to smooth out the ride a bit.
[snapback]272606[/snapback]​
Piolot,

I installed the longer shock that was designed for the REV adreneline. They raised the front end a couple inches. The part # is 950-52-012-A. They hold a nice line through the rough stuff and I feel provide a great ride in all conditions.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks Pop for the shock info. I will talk to my Fox guy tomorrow. He had a set of Rev shocks in stock yesterday, I think I will grab them. So if I have this right you have raised the front of your sled a couple inches and the rear is still stock and you are still happy with the handling? Do you think your skis steer heavier than the Precisions? Thanks for the tip, I want a better ride from this rocket!

rotax4ever I am thinking about the skid shox too-thanks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
xcpilot said:
Thanks Pop for the shock info. I will talk to my Fox guy tomorrow. He had a set of Rev shocks in stock yesterday, I think I will grab them. So if I have this right you have raised the front of your sled a couple inches and the rear is still stock and you are still happy with the handling? Do you think your skis steer heavier than the Precisions? Thanks for the tip, I want a better ride from this rocket!

rotax4ever I am thinking about the skid shox too-thanks.
[snapback]273444[/snapback]​
Yeah,

The sled is up about 2 inches in the front with the stock rear suspension O.E. and it handles well. I am not happy with the rear though.....I feel it has way too much rebound kick. I have tried all types of adjustment combinations. A decent set of shocks should help this a bunch but we still have the hyfax wear out issue to deal with. I really don't want to carry along an extra set of hyfax on my 1000 mile touring trip!....For a little more $$ than the shocks would have cost we can get the whole deal! I am installing an M 10 next week. I ought to be able to really dial in this sled after installing it. I have not changed the skies as yet....I am still on the Precisions

Hope this helps! (Just my $.02)

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I put a set of 02 adrenaline shocks on the front-works great and raises it 2 inches. I also bought the Mach Z Euro rear shock and threw that in the skid-handles the kick way better than the stock shock. $213 retail for the rebuildable Euro Z shock-the shocks the sled should have came with! I did get a glimpse at dealer cost- $127 so there should be some room to dicker with your dealer. The center shock retails for $283 but I have not bought that one yet and probably won't-my main problem was the kick.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.