Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
First ride of the season and it Locked up solid on me in less than 40yards at half throttle. Right in the middle of a lake at 230 am to boot! Pto side plug is white. Centre is also white but not as much as pto and the mag side looked like it was starting to go white but was still mostly brown. carbs boots are good. carbs were clean last season but sat all summer. it didn't bog and I was only and about 60%throttle when it seized. im thinking it could have got an air lock in the oil line since I had it completely drained in the off season. But I'm kind of ruling out oil because the plugs are white and it was smoking I before drove off. Ready to just pay the dough at a reputable shop. I spent way to many hours building this machine from my parts sled,vand I'm tired of wrenching this season is too short as is. I just want to have it set up by a pro and do some riding. Looking at iantomassi or bondi to do the motor and give the sled a once over. Is it worth it going with these guys if I'm not going to do any porting or power mods?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I've heard good things about Larry Wilson in Orangeville.

·
Registered
592 Posts
That really sucks, especially with only four or maybe five weeks of riding left in the season. Best get a move on either way or you won't get the beast back till April.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would a bad crank seal lean out more than The pto cylinder? If I pull the clutch is there anything I can look for to see if it's a bad crank seal?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out the crank was shot! Pieces bearing coming up through the ports took out a cylinder. Rebuilt crank/cylinder and a 1 new piston later...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have iantomasi doing the rebuild for me. bottom end is beyond my skills. Spoke with jerry and he is able to have it ready by next weekend. Finally I'll be able to get some riding in

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Funny but I have seen the name Iantomasi dropped a couple times in the last two weeks. Stopped by a racer's shop last week and saw the name on his race sled. Iantomasi did build an engine for him. I have seen the sled in action. It rips!
An ad on Craig's List used the Iantomasi name as the builder of a 700 triple engine I was asking about. When I asked if the seller had receipts from Iantomasi for the build it turned out the engine was not the seller's but a friend of a friend. I didn't have any more questions to ask the seller.
Do you know what Iantomasi used for bearings when he rebuilt the crank?
Lynn

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Iantomasi has been around for years and was heavily into the racing scene.
They do good work, Clayton is close with them (Flav and Gerry)and has them do certain things for his racing engines.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
My millennium is heading to Iantomasi on Tue. I squeaked the mag side. I live just down the road from them and know the family well. You won't get a better more honest bunch.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Couldnt agree more taylor. Guys like gerry are far and few between.

I never thought to ask what brand bearings were used, but i could find out for you..... anyone claiming to have work done should have a work order at the very least. You never knkw tho....

He was showing me his custom race engines and they are just something else. Thinking of letting him do a bit of porting on the off season. All else would be stock except for vforce.

On a side note am i asking for trouble riding around with 290 jets in -28c?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Couldnt agree more taylor. Guys like gerry are far and few between.

I never thought to ask what brand bearings were used, but i could find out for you..... anyone claiming to have work done should have a work order at the very least. You never knkw tho....

He was showing me his custom race engines and they are just something else. Thinking of letting him do a bit of porting on the off season. All else would be stock except for vforce.

On a side note am i asking for trouble riding around with 290 jets in -28c?
290's should be fine in those temps, just vary the throttle and don't hold her wide open for too long.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally got some real miles in. Sled runs like a mach should. Been laying a whooping on my buddies 800 etec and f7. they are not liking it one bit haha. heres a pic from this weekend

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts