Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to make a really long story short...

I recently built a Formula III using a 1998 Mach 700 and 1999 wire harness, cdi, stock triple pipes, 1999 jetting, etc. The flywheel is still from the 98. Brand new crank and pistons in the motor.

The problem I'm having now is getting the timing all squared away. Backfires, spits, sputters, runs like **** as if the timing is way off.

Tested the stator and it was weak so I replaced that with a brand new one. Also put a new trigger pick up to rule that out.

I put my buddy's 2000 Mach Z cdi on it and the sled ran fine. I'm assuming this is because the timing on the 2000 is controlled within the cdi.

My question is, before I go ahead throw a new cdi in, would having a 98 flywheel and 99 ignition, etc cause it to run like ****? When I put the 99 flywheel on, what is the trigger pick up gap spec for 1999?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

603-393-6342

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
According to the Ski-Doo parts fische the 1998 700 Mach 1 flywheel # is 410922800

'99 Mach 1 # is 410922917. If it has reverse the '99 # would be 410922920

Apparently reverse didn't make a difference in 1998

Lynn

·
Registered
123 Posts
I learnt this the hard way few years back, lol. When switching wiring harnesses u need to use all ignitions for the wiring harness your using. That's cdi, flywheel, pick coil, regulator, dess with program key, etc. Awhile back I mixed matched my ignition and when I tired pulling it to start it. It sling shot me back just about over the hood just about pulling my arms off, and when it did start the Fer, took off back wards, In yet it had no reverse lol. My buddies had a good laugh on me lol. When I finally got it started and going forward it ran like crap spitting and back firing. Then switched all ignition over, and it ran like a champ. Just saying when switching change everything over, no cutting corners. Good luck

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
98 was mechanical reverse.
I was going to come back and edit that out. It dawned on me when I walked out into the shop then I got busy. LOL

Lynn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts