Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 MXZX 800HO. I've been told the M-10 suspension with fox clicker is a great setup. Anybody ever tried it? Also, has anybody tried Fox's gas front shocks on the Rev?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
M-10's are great! You will NEVER go back if you have one! I had them in the ZX chasis and didn't in the REV because the SC setup was supposed to be close. Well, the SC is NOT even in the same ballpark.

The biggest thing about ANY suspension is that you need to adjust it. Trail condtions, etc... make a huge difference obviously. WEIGHT is another. Every 10 pounds added or removed from your sled, you need to adjust. Saddle bags, for instance, can weigh 40 pounds loaded.

The M-10 is like riding in an old cadillac that the shocks are gone. One of those that just kind of glides along over the bumps! I have installed them and had a couple myself. All in ZX chasis, but I know it would work the same on the REV. When you see a bump coming with the SC suspensions you kind of brace yourself hoping not to jar your back. The M-10 or M-12... you go hunting for bumps!!!!!
No jarring, no rebound, etc... You end up laughing in your helmet because it is working so well. You have to ride one set for your weight to realize how bad the SCIII and IV suspensions ride. I may put one in my REV. I will post pics if I do!

FAST's biggest issue is the installation of the M-10. Not the best instructions and basically a hope and pray booklet. Template pattern comes with them, but I have installed 5 of them and still have to read and read and read again the instructions to make sure. Shouldn't be rocket science, but they kind of make it that way.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
The M10 on a Rev is a waste of money in my opinion. If you're an old duffer and like to cruise the trails at 30 MPH max then the M10 is for you, you have an 800X so I assume you still expect a little handling out of your sled? The M10 ruins the handling characteristics of the sled and isn't all that great for aggressive riding, not to mention that it has absolutely no weight transfer. I hear that they're more durable now but I was always chasing mine around with a wrench.

Personally I think the stock suspension is great but if you want aftermarket get the Expert rear skid, much better. I had an M10 on my old F3 and I've ridden a buddy's 800LE, smooth rides but that's only nice thing that I have to say about it.

Just my .02

·
Registered
489 Posts
Enginehead said:
I have a 2005 MXZX 800HO. I've been told the M-10 suspension with fox clicker is a great setup. Anybody ever tried it? Also, has anybody tried Fox's gas front shocks on the Rev?
[snapback]287728[/snapback]​
I just rode my M-10 (Fox zero comp pro...shock setup) for the first time this week. It is under an 05 Mach Z. (The RT rear tunnel is the same as the REV) I have never ridden an M-10 prior to installing it on the Mach and I'll tell you that I can't believe the difference! What an improvement!!!! I would have a hard time believing there is a better setup available. At the skies I have Fox Floats and like Formajim stated I found myself looking for bumps and giggling after gliding through them. Once it's dialed in your sled will be transformed. The steering is lighter, hookup is good, no inside ski lift and BRING ON THE BUMPS!

You asked for opinions!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a POO 600 classic with M-10 and sold it at a big loss to get a REV with SC-III. I hated the M-10 because I couldn't adjust it to not bottom. The Fox reservoir shock was no good, even after a rebuild. The SC-III with stock HPG non-rebuildable shocks is much crisper and smoooth, too.
unbroke

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
[quote name='unbroke' date='Jan 28 2005, 12:21 PM']
I had a POO 600 classic with M-10 and sold it at a big loss to get a REV with SC-III. I hated the M-10 because I couldn't adjust it to not bottom. The Fox reservoir shock was no good, even after a rebuild. The SC-III with stock HPG non-rebuildable shocks is much crisper and smoooth, too.
unbroke

When adjusting any suspension, you want it to bottom out just a little bit on the real hard bumps. Nothing that you can really feel, just that knowing you are using the entire throw of the shocks...

As far as being only a trail suspension... well, I am not an old duffer and do hit the hard stuff. That is where the M-10 shines. Weight transfer... let's see, when you hit the gas the M-10 actually squats and puts more track on the ground and is FULLY coupled to allow transfer. There is a reason FAST has patients on the coupling and a reason that each BRP suspension is trying to get closer to copying the M series suspensions.

IMO of course

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
[quote name='DOOSKIX' date='Jan 28 2005, 01:03 PM']
The M10 on a Rev is a waste of money in my opinion. If you're an old duffer and like to cruise the trails at 30 MPH max then the M10 is for you, you have an 800X so I assume you still expect a little handling out of your sled? The M10 ruins the handling characteristics of the sled and isn't all that great for aggressive riding, not to mention that it has absolutely no weight transfer. I hear that they're more durable now but I was always chasing mine around with a wrench.

Personally I think the stock suspension is great but if you want aftermarket get the Expert rear skid, much better. I had an M10 on my old F3 and I've ridden a buddy's 800LE, smooth rides but that's only nice thing that I have to say about it.

Just my .02
[snapback]287790[/snapback]​

How many miles do you have on an m-10?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I installed the M10 in my 03 800 Rev. MAJOR P.I.T.A!

I got to ride it only ~400 miles this year.

Here are a few of my concerns.

Weight transfer. With the stock coupling blocks it will spin the studded track on ice. (Just trying to get moving)!

Brian from FAST recommended cutting 1/4 - 3/8" from the bottom of the block.

I tried 1/4" so far and this made a HUGE difference. Still not the same as the stock skid, but....

The rear spring is TOO stiff. Overall the rear is TOO stiff. I weigh 200 lbs and I can't get the 4-6 inches of sag. I feel that the rider position make this a problem.
have the FRA as the lowest setting and the preload I have reduced from 8mm to 4mm. Brian said not to touch this, but it's the only thing that helped so far.

This past sunday, I rode a bumpy railroad bed. I found it to be a bit jarring at times. But it seems to be better that the stock skid was. Also, this skid handle the major hits with a smile. I'm impressed with this mostly.

My brother weighs 255lbs. He tried the sled and mentioned it was perfect. So I either have to add ballast
or find a way to soften the spring.

I may try the blocks cut to 3/8" to improve weight transfer more. Brian mentioned that the more I cut the less of a ride quality I will have.

Test, test,test....

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
keithstef said:

Weight transfer. With the stock coupling blocks it will spin the studded track on ice. (Just trying to get moving)!

I tried 1/4" so far and this made a HUGE difference. Still not the same as the stock skid, but....

The rear spring is TOO stiff. Overall the rear is TOO stiff. I weigh 200 lbs and I can't get the 4-6 inches of sag. I feel that the rider position make this a problem.
have the FRA as the lowest setting and the preload I have reduced from 8mm to 4mm. Brian said not to touch this, but it's the only thing that helped so far.

This past sunday, I rode a bumpy railroad bed. I found it to be a bit jarring at times. But it seems to be better that the stock skid was. Also, this skid handle the major hits with a smile. I'm impressed with this mostly.

My brother weighs 255lbs. He tried the sled and mentioned it was perfect. So I either have to add ballast

I may try the blocks cut to 3/8" to improve weight transfer more. Brian mentioned that the more I cut the less of a ride quality I will have.

Test, test,test....
[snapback]288156[/snapback]​
How many miles on it? Be sure you run in for a few hundred before taking drastic measures to soften the ride. The springs will take a set and get softer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
~400 so far.
Brian Said that same thing. I hope that it sets soon!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Enginehead said:
my buddy's pooh has the m-10 ace in it. it is an awesome suspension for smooth ride but not the best for a ditchbanger sled. my 6 eats him on the lake because it robs a lot off the top end. excellent cruising set-up and very flexible.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
keithstef said:

Test, test,test....
[snapback]288156[/snapback]​
I have a softer spring for the rear of the m-10. I see your in northeast pa? Im up by high point state park in nj. Your free to try it if you want. You just need to bring the shock to me so we can switch it over. unless you have a spring compresser. Let me know. Mike

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Enginehead said:
I have an 05 800 x , but only have less than 30 miles on it. I also have a set of fox shocks that im going to try . I bought them off ebay. they were off a polaris extra 12 and are almost exactly the same size. I have to rebuild them and then I will try them along with a bunch of spring combo's . I want to get the dual rate springs figured out. I might go to old forge next friday to test

·
Registered
618 Posts
keithstef said:
~400 so far.
Brian Said that same thing. I hope that it sets soon!
[snapback]288378[/snapback]​
most m10's take way past 500 to get fully broken in... set it to the factory reccomendations for baseline until you have about 700 miles on it... otherwise you will be chasing your tail...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Enginehead said:
Thanks all for your input. I still can't decide if this would be a good move.
[snapback]289752[/snapback]​
one more reccomendation... get the ohlins with m-valve, it handles the big and aggressive riding much better than the fox crap...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
M10 is the best suspension out their for old style sleds. However it still doesn't beat the Rev with SCIII or SCIV.

·
Registered
35 Posts
we have a polaris classic, and it has m-10 with the fox clickers in it, and it was great then we got the rev. before the rev we had a xc polaris 600, and then sold that got the rev and kept the classic. honestly i think the suspension on the rev is a little bit better than the classic. imo.

mike

1 - 20 of 25 Posts