I was given the same offers. Tough spot for me, as I don't have a sled, and the used market is through the roof. Hopefully, I don't miss much of the season.
The email was personalized from salesman I deal with. Which is a thread of conversation we've had since ordered including receipts and documents of purchase.Was it a generic Email or Lynx specific? I'm not doubting what some dealers are emailing out or telling people, but it seems like there are two distinctly different messages being sent out at the dealer level.
I called another dealer at random, and they said the same thing as my originating dealer The delays mentioned were not model specific and only in-season stock sleds were potentially being pushed back significantly (not spring order only). That matches up with the facebook live video that a dealer posted over the weekend.
It sounds like some dealers are being pro-active and assuming delays may be coming across the board to everything. Acting on that, it seems like some are sending out emails to everyone in an attempt to soften the blow if there are further delays, and/or maybe looking to pick up some in-season stock that people decide to back out of.
Why wouldn’t they do this. Then when it comes in Dec they can sell it for way more since all sleds are sold and no floor stock. Called my dealer Friday (upstate) and lynx rave scheduled for Dec 1st.Got an email from my dealer today saying my rave went from Nov delivery now to January. I can opt out and get deposit back or I can roll my deposit over to a 2023 or wait for the 22. Not sure what I'll do as of now but have until Oct 31 to decide
Given the mixed messages floating around, that’s kind of what I was thinking. Dealers offering everyone a way out if they don’t want to risk later delivery, but keeping the sled for stock when it shows.Why wouldn’t they do this. Then when it comes in Dec they can sell it for way more since all sleds are sold and no floor stock. Called my dealer Friday (upstate) and lynx rave scheduled for Dec 1st.
I think this is the most likely reason for potential delays on the lynx side.The problem is there are no guarantees with overseas shipping currently. Every industry is seeing random, unknown delays with overseas shipping right now. If the lynx sleds are currently in process of shipping, it could be 4-6 weeks or it could be 12 weeks.