Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the trails a couple weeks ago. There were a few spots that were a little rough but nothing that I would say was major issues. Well anyways...had to get something out of my trailer last weekend and found a puddle of oil under my sled. Hauled it into the garage and found I had taken a hit to the chaincase. Bent up the groove in the cover where the seal sets in. Along with a new cover, bent up the aluminum plate under the case and the plastic piece that runs underneath and up the front. Total tamage - $75-$80. I have only replaced the cover so far. Youhave to pull the whole chaincase and grind off about 20 rivets. Looks like a good job in the Spring. Be careful!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Blinkster said:
Hit the trails a couple weeks ago. There were a few spots that were a little rough but nothing that I would say was major issues. Well anyways...had to get something out of my trailer last weekend and found a puddle of oil under my sled. Hauled it into the garage and found I had taken a hit to the chaincase. Bent up the groove in the cover where the seal sets in. Along with a new cover, bent up the aluminum plate under the case and the plastic piece that runs underneath and up the front. Total tamage - $75-$80. I have only replaced the cover so far. Youhave to pull the whole chaincase and grind off about 20 rivets. Looks like a good job in the Spring. Be careful!!!
[snapback]309121[/snapback]​

·
Registered
17 Posts
Blinkster said:

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
A lot of people are taking hits in that area to include the heat exchanger, chaincase and surrounding metal. Ground clearance is too low in that area and is much more vulnerable than the standard REVs which ride higer. Plus that area is unprotected and the damage can be very expensive to repair. Add that to the list of issues that need to be addressed on this chassis before it is released next year as an 06.

1. Belt Wear
2. Hyfax Wear
3. Engine Operating Temperature too low and inconsistent due to lack of thermostat.
4. Cold Start Issues (plug fouling)
5. Loose Secondary Screws on Rollers
6. Loose Pyramid Bolts
7. Pulse Pump filling with oil and locking up
8. Running out of gas with 1/4 tank left
9. Clutch Calibration
10. Paint wearing off running boards in one season (should have been powdercoated)
11. Ground clearance inadequate with unprotected heat exchanger and chaincase.

Any others I missed?

·
Registered
17 Posts
To late I aready did the same thing!!!! Except I was in the middle of Quebec and had to ride it 300 miles back to the truck with zero oil in the case.It took out the belly and the bottom of the chain case,

I am in for gears case and bearings!!!
oh ya no parts either!!!! ouch.

Funny thing was the other 4 sleds in the group went over the same rock without incident.

Thanks though

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MindenZ said:
To late I aready did the same thing!!!! Except I was in the middle of Quebec and had to ride it 300 miles back to the truck with zero oil in the case.It took out the belly and the bottom of the chain case,

I am in for gears case and bearings!!!
oh ya no parts either!!!! ouch.

Funny thing was the other 4 sleds in the group went over the same rock without incident.

Thanks though
[snapback]309263[/snapback]​
4" left ot right and I would have been OK I figure. My dealer (Ingles) is awesome. Had the part for me in 3 days. If you are careful, you can press (beat it out with a large socket) the seals. There are small springs around them...be careful not to lose or damage them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
too late for me IM IN caught a stone in the belly pan. Chain chain case upper and lower sprocket and chain case cover damages $ 450 in parts plus labor Im gettin x shocks next year for sure cant get them this year cuz i am through sled money for this year

·
Registered
130 Posts
Blinkster said:
WOULD A SKI PLATE HAVE PREVENTED THIS

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
t cat said:
Blinkster said:
WOULD A SKI PLATE HAVE PREVENTED THIS

[snapback]309409[/snapback]​
I looked into it and I don't think so. The place where I hit was right behind the a-arm. It was just inside of the ski...just outside of the track. I think I will put one on for next season though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BlueMax said:
The factory skid plate only covers the aluminum plate under the engine area and typical front section on a Mach Z. The skid plate is still worth it in my opinion. It also has a hole in it to get at chassis plug for draining coolant from engine. The area where the chaincase is located has a section of aluminum under it and a hole for oil drainage. The setup is the same as the REV chassis except it is 1 1/4" lower to the ground.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to go out and buy longer shocks unless you like to just pound moguls. The Mach Z was lowered to improve cornering and enhance stability. I have a 05 REV and Mach Z and the Z takes high speed corners much better even though it is 90 pounds heavier. The 2006 REVs are being lowered 1 1/2 inches to improve handling and stability. The new REV shocks are 1" shorter with only 3/8" less stroke. The 2006 Machs will have an X package with new designed shocks that should eliminate how easily the existing front suspension bottoms out.
[snapback]309486[/snapback]​
I have the X-Package shocks on my Z...2003 HPG Piggybacks. THey were about 3/4" longer than stock. They work great but like I said, I hit it just right. I just wish there was a stronger piece of metal plate there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts