Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 09 MXZ 600 ETECs in the fall. One is an Adrenaline with 4400 miles and the other is an X with 2400 miles. I am just getting back into snowmobiling after about 10 years. Due to the slow start to the Northeast season, I've only ridden the Adrenaline around the yard a few times, maybe 3-5 miles total and the X 20-30 miles total on the trail. Both sleds start up, idle, and run with no apparent issues. I had some time to poke around today so I replaced both sleds' belts with the spares that appear to be brand new. In process of doing so, I noticed that the coolant reservoir on the Adrenaline is bone dry empty and the level on the X is quite low, as pictured. There is a line about 3/4 up the tank that says "Cold Level" and I assume the coolant should be filled to that line. My question is, wouldn't I notice significant issues operating the sleds with little or no coolant? Or even a check engine light right away? Possible enough coolant in the system already that it's not pulling from the tank? I'm not sure how I didn't notice this before but it worries me. Sleds have been in an enclosed trailer for most of the time that I've had them and there is no coolant on the ground. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I use the skidoo green coolant or is a 50/50 ethylene glycol mix from an auto parts store (green) acceptable?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I bet if you loosen the caps, the coolant levels will pop up.

If you fill it to the cold line, it will burp it out to where there is hardly any coolant in the bottle.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Fill to the cold line on the reservoir and watch for leaks. Know that it is common to have the level below the fill line as they will find their level once at operating temperature. If there is nothing in the reservoir after you try this approach you most likely have a leak so keep an eye out.

One common spot that you can check the clamps on the hoses are behind the air box. Replace all faulty clamps with a gear clamp and you should be good.

Here's a video on removing the air box on your sled.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
drive it up a snowbank or jack the front end up. fill bottle to the top, start it, let it idle long enough to get rear exchangers hot. that should remove any trapped air. it will spit out what it doesn't need. let cool and you'll be right at the cold line. works every time. good luck !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts