Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don’t have an etec and the sled I will reference is not a 16 but a 12. And that sled will only idle at about 1000 rpm when warm. FWIW

·
Premium Member
27,907 Posts
I don't have an etec and the sled I will reference is not a 16 but a 12. And that sled will only idle at about 1000 rpm when warm. FWIW
Is it the rpm shown on the gauge cluster or tachometer? From my own experience a 1000 rpm idle is very low for any healthy running 600/800 ETEC.

·
Premium Member
27,907 Posts
What I normally see is 1200-1250 rpm.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
For the etec 600, I took that straight out of the service manual.

For non-etecs, yes, 1200 to 1800 is normal. For example, the 2001 600's are 1500-1600 RPM, while the 500 is 1700.

If you have the service manual, it will be in the technical data. For carb'd machines, it is listed under the Carb Type section.

·
Premium Member
27,907 Posts
For the etec 600, I took that straight out of the service manual.

For non-etecs, yes, 1200 to 1800 is normal. For example, the 2001 600's are 1500-1600 RPM, while the 500 is 1700.

If you have the service manual, it will be in the technical data. For carb'd machines, it is listed under the Carb Type section.
I took the 1200 rpm straight from the Shop Manual, and the 1200-1250 rpm from my own visual experience.

You are a wealth of good information and experience that has helped me personally. And I enjoy that we have some of the same background in computers/electronics - I do follow closely ;) . So please don't take my reply in any shape or form as a pushback.

On a more personal note, I think that we need for you to continue participating. The small stuff is often the most important. Did you see the 800RE owner who inadvertently posted in the REV forum (SDI and carbs) about trouble testing a relay? Within one page on DooTalk we got to cover the Wiring Diagram, Power Distribution and proper testing in a remarkably short number of posts. I realized quickly within the first few posts that the guy was generally more knowledgeable than I was in electrical/electronics, yet I didn't let it stop me from showing the best and most efficient method to test a relay with a volt meter instead of an ohm meter.

I had never seem that happen before, but it did. Heck I don't even see this kind of testing shown on other forums, articles or YouTube videos. We don't have to be smarter in everything, only good on the things that count the most. And that is how we build on each other's experiences. Over the years you reminded me of things that I though I had forgotten! It just goes to show what we can accomplish when we have each other's back. Sure I come-up with some neat things, but none of them came from working alone in a dark corner servicing computers, printers, networks and servers. I could add so many other things from refrigeration to construction to wells, but the point is there is a big wheel that turns that can only be seen when participating. Nothing comes out of the blue and there is no other secret than participaction.

There is no schooling certification or degree, and no level of experience that can magically bypass the experience of participating on an open forum like DooTalk. It challenges us in ways that no other venue can match. It requires us to not only know the basics, but also be responsible and proving our work in public display. That in itself is a lot harder than most people realize.

·
Premium Member
27,907 Posts
Sorry for the tangent. Sometimes this stuff need to bleed through in public posts to show our strengths and limitations. Both asking a question and answering one on a public forum is a lot harder than it looks. And I mean it with just asking. I assume the one asking a question to be knowledgeable, unless they stop replying and I know they were way over the head lol

·
Registered
312 Posts
Daag you probably have me there at 1200. I’m looking at an analog gage so ya maybe a little margin of error there but I’d say 1200 is closer to 1000 then 1600. Like I said isnt my sled sled I still have an old ptec. Every one I ride with is now on some sort of etec wether 600. 800. Or 850. They are all really low compared to my relic????

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I rarely take anything personal and just like to add to the information when I can. Over the years I've collected a lot of information, by learning, on paper and electronically.

My brother knows 100x what I do about older Skidoos and I often go to him. Recently it was about the timing of the rotax valve. He happened to still have the tools needed, which helped a lot. He worked at a local dealership for 20 years. Skidoo and Evinrude, both in service and parts. Kinda handy to be able to call him and get a part number. He still remembers most of them. Ha!

I was directing the "if you have the service manual..." comment to the OP. It probably came across the wrong way though, I just meant it as information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts