Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey guys, just wondering if someone had any suggestions regarding a problem I've been experiencing the last two days.

2000 Mach Z with reverse, clutches redone during the fall.

-Rebuilt with a stiffer primary spring pk/wh 230/380, and more pin weight, new 295 ramps.

-After problems were noticed reverted to a new stock spring and stock pin weight.

-Carbs thoroughly cleaned every off season, new fuel lines installed this fall. New reeds and plug wires installed last season. New plugs/gas etc.

From a dead stop and very slow roll the machine is bogging heavilly then limiting rpm to 7000. At any greater rate of speed and it'll pull the arms off you as it should.

On the lift with no load I'm getting a full shift and everything seems to be in working order. Changed out the belt, last years 066 to the new Gates Gforce I recently picked up.

If anyone has any ideas they'd be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Try obvious and easiest first maybe. I would try to eliminate either carb or clutch. Carb seems a little less likely as the problem is better with track in the air. I would take a couple clickers to the next higher number and give that a quick try.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
What is your secondary preload set at? If it's not high enough you could be shifting out to fast. Would be like trying to take off with your car/bike ect in 2nd or 3rd gear. This would explain the low rpm's as well as the motor has been loaded to fast thus dragging rpm's down.

This is also assuming you have mechanical reverse. If you have RER then maybe you need a stiffer spring.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try obvious and easiest first maybe. I would try to eliminate either carb or clutch. Carb seems a little less likely as the problem is better with track in the air. I would take a couple clickers to the next higher number and give that a quick try.

Adjusting the clickers a bit higher was my first thought, didn't eliminate the problem.

This is also assuming you have mechanical reverse. If you have RER then maybe you need a stiffer spring.

Sled has RER, with a new stock primary spring would a stiffer spring in the secondary really be needed?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Secondary pre-load or bushings worn out. It does sound like shifting out to fast and secondary swallowing belt to fast like mentioned.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I've dropped the secondary off for an overhaul, I don't have a proper press to do it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Recently reinstalled secondary clutch after a complete overhaul. Spring, bushings, shoes. Preload set to stock.

Problem still persists!

From a dead stop machine completely over-revs, then drops and holds at 7000rpm.

Going to begin adding pin weight tommorow morning to pull intial rpms down.

Once again though, after reading through lots and lots of threads, does anyone think a stator could cause this?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I think it's a carb issue or your fuel filter in the tank is clogged. I don't think it's clutch related.
Also check to see if your rave valves are moving freely.

This of course are my guesses but in your original post you said it was boggy at lower rpm then limited to 7000 grand.

When you service your carbs, do you completely disassemble them? I take every jet aside from the needle and seat (which I only do every two seasons, hate taking that pin out) which hasn't given me any issues.
Let all the jets sit over night, spray carb cleaner through all passages then blow with compressed air. If you don't have a compressor, a can of compressed air they sell at the dollar store works in a pinch.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Carbs were completlely torn down and laid out for cleaning. Carb cleaner and air blown through every passage. But I'll remove tommorow for an inspection and redo since everyone is mentioning them in their posts.

With the fuel filter being clogged wouldn't performance be affected throughout? Not just from a dead stop? Once I'm above 30+ kph machine workds fantastic.

From a dead stop sled will launch, rise to very high rpms, 9000+ range, then suddenly fall on its face, limited to 7000rpm.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I don't know and I'm just taking guesses at this but also make sure your air screws are 1.5 turn out which is stock spec, this will have an effect on low speed riding of off.
Yeah, check out the carbs again as it sounds like you've covered the rest of the bases. As well as the raves. Pop the covers off and make sure they are moving freely.
Good luck.
Also gap the plugs at .018 just to rule that out. Check air box for restriction.
What about the plug wires? You can cut 1/4 inch off each end and screw them back in to make sure it's not weak spark. A stator with sputter (misfire when weak)More usually at higher RPMs.

Again, just shooting out ideas.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
1.5 turns out Gaboon? I believe he said its a 2000 z with rer air screws 4 turns out. Just to be clear after you had the secondary serviced now the low end bog is gone but still wont rev past 7k. The 9k you are now seeing from a dig is belt slip so yes add more weight 19-20 grams with that spring should fix that. Did you do a compression check? This sled is running pig rich or has a cylinder down.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I don't know and I'm just taking guesses at this but also make sure your air screws are 1.5 turn out which is stock spec, this will have an effect on low speed riding of off.
Yeah, check out the carbs again as it sounds like you've covered the rest of the bases. As well as the raves. Pop the covers off and make sure they are moving freely.
Good luck.
Also gap the plugs at .018 just to rule that out. Check air box for restriction.
What about the plug wires? You can cut 1/4 inch off each end and screw them back in to make sure it's not weak spark. A stator with sputter (misfire when weak)More usually at higher RPMs.

Again, just shooting out ideas.
gaboon made a mistake on the air screws. that beer must have been good at 01:20 AM gaboon :) 2000 Mach Z air screws are set at 4.5 turn out .which is stock spec. not 1.5

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
quit it you guys, you all know what happens to me after a certain hour...;(
You guys are correct, 4.5 turns out. I guess my fingers get fatter as the evening goes on.

Oh come on, we all make teeny tiny mistake now and then.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts