Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem with a friends sled...2014 GSX with 7000 miles. It started fine after sitting on trailer all night before our ride. 20 minutes into our ride he says it flashing the battery symbol and coming up "LOW BAT" Then it dies and won't start. Battery is dead. (battery had been fully charged by Optimate battery charger a week ago.) We jump it and continue on. Sled keeps dying...we keep jumping it. Now we are miles from truck and decide to buy another battery. We do and all is good...until the same thing happens. And during all this his gauges are either not working or bouncing around. More so on rough trails.

Any ideas? We will check all grounds. Any relays to check? What charges the battery in a snowmobile? Because it is not working?

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Exact same thing happened to my 13 with near 7000 mi on it last year. It was the stator. Motor must come out to replace!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no! I really hope that is not it.

My 2012 has 14,500 miles on it...my only concern with reliability with it is the stator.

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
Sounds like a loose ground or. Loose relay. Before thinking about the stator I would check all the easy stuff.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Assuming that all your connections are solid, you can easily check the output of your charging system (stator and voltage rectifier/regulator) using a multimeter set to DC volts and measuring across your battery terminals.

If the voltage (13.5-14.0) is not there you will have to troubleshoot the connections before condemning the charging system. It is just about a given that you will have less than adequate voltage across your battery terminals given what you describe happened when you put a new battery in.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I'd go after the relay. Condensation can get in them over summer and cloud up the contacts. Easy to test with a light, power in must have power out.

·
Registered
920 Posts
ive been fighting this for a month.....except I get high battery and low battery occasionally as well along with an engine lite and 2-3 beeps....,.... sled SO far hasn't quit, runs fine......seems more so on bumpy trails, so ive been all over the grounds......also my dash is goofy too...rpm side lights go on and off periodically. I took my sled to a dealer...and he "said" my voltage reg, and stator test good. They ended up adding a ground,....still didn't fix it. I would get it to a dealer for buds to atleast check the stator to eliminate that, No one wants to hear that word! $$$$ but atleast you would know which way to look further.....good luck

·
Registered
754 Posts
Stator your machine is running off your battery , when you jumped it you gave it a small charge . Then soon that charge was used up and it died . It ran longer on a new fully charged battery but again as soon as that battery was drained it died .

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it was dropped off to dealer. They said everything you guys did and will check them. I will post up the outcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, dealer is saying its the stator. Would the sled still run with a bad stator? Started weakly if jumped and then went a bit.

We had a Yamaha in our group and the stator went bad. Just quit and would not start. Turned over fine but would not fire.

What exactly does the stator do?!

Sorry for all the questions!

Oh yeah, rough estimate from dealer is $1000.00! Ouch!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Dam stators there my biggest worry when I ride , and why are some failing and some not ? . I ride pretty much 100% alone miles from home that why I'm on this 4 stroke I don't like the fact that I need to worry about a stator failing on me .

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes its a concern. My 2012 with 14,500 miles is running flawlessly if that helps alleviate your concerns. I don't think there is a way to do preventative maintenance on something like that. I thought of changing mine out in the summer but who's to say the new one would work correctly or as long?

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is the non rotating part of the magneto.. aka stator, versus the rotating part, the rotor.

The magneto is the main power source of your machine. It charge/maintain your battery and supply power to aux and engine while running.

Same function as your alternator in cars. Historically, it is called magneto because the inductive part (the rotor) is based out of rare earth magnet, versus an alternator on which the inductive part is an electro-magnet. That is, a controlled current driven coil which induce magnetic field to the stator windings.

Stator is 3 phases alternating output which need rectification, filtration and regulation before being useful. Today's regulator provide all 3 steps.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yes its a concern. My 2012 with 14,500 miles is running flawlessly if that helps alleviate your concerns. I don't think there is a way to do preventative maintenance on something like that. I thought of changing mine out in the summer but who's to say the new one would work correctly or as long?
Its the concern that bothers me , its not like I'll stop riding because of it or limit my riding its just the hassle involved breaking down 100 miles from home by yourself , and all because of a dam stator .

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Well, dealer is saying its the stator. Would the sled still run with a bad stator? Started weakly if jumped and then went a bit.

We had a Yamaha in our group and the stator went bad. Just quit and would not start. Turned over fine but would not fire.

A stator is made up of laminated core pieces with poles that are wound with wire. The wire has a thin enamel layer for insulation. Heat and vibration can cause this insulation to deteriorate. When this happens the wire can short to other wires or to ground. If the wires short to other wires you will loose some output. If the wires short to ground your stator can melt down quickly.

One of the tests for a suspect stator is an ohms test. I would ask the dealer if he ohm tested your stator. Also tell him that you want the bad stator as they can be rewound and are worth something just for the copper.

One of the things I have suggested is to put a unique marking (like a purple magic marker) on the yellow wires coming out of your stator and take a picture of it. If you do not get that stator back then you know that someone is playing games.

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts

Ya that is a bummer. Engine yank is a pita 4-6 hours I would think if you hustle but if is a grand overall then I would pony for it.

You have to pull the engine to get the side cover off. Blows that BRP has not engineered such so the side cover can be serviced without engine removal...

New from doo stator plate is $467.

Gearhead is selling for less so might be worth asking the dealer if they will price match to save a couple $:

Ski-Doo - 420892376 - STATOR "edit for bad language" Y Ships out in 3-6 Business Days $395.48

Ski-Doo - 420430750 - Cover GASKET $13.37

http://www.gearhead.com/ski-doo-420892376.html

#8 on the drawing is the stator plate. #14 is the magneto flywheel.

Attachments

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
Well, dealer is saying its the stator. Would the sled still run with a bad stator?
Sometimes yes.

My brother's 2014 took a stator over the summer under warranty. It was running perfectly fine. The only clue we had that it was going bad was no charge at idle as evidenced by a volt meter test. It would charge at higher rpms while moving, so it never fully drained the battery enough to die because we never let it idle that long. It would run fine off the battery at idle, and it would recharge under motion.

Swapped stator, problem solved. Now it charges all the time even at idle.

There are two clear service manual procedures to check for bad stator. Ohms is one, and voltage output at idle is the other. So if dealer checked specs against what's in the service manual for those 2 tests, and it failed one or both, then their diagnosis is likely correct. My brothers ohm'd out fine, but didn't pass the idle voltage test.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Dam stators there my biggest worry when I ride , and why are some failing and some not ? . I ride pretty much 100% alone miles from home that why I'm on this 4 stroke I don't like the fact that I need to worry about a stator failing on me .
I had my stator fail at the end of the season, but the sled ran flawless, I only noticed because it was dark out, my headlights would go dim then brighten up again. Checked it out, stator was bad. I had my stator rewound and I added a small koso voltmeter so I can monitor the charging voltage now. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454211191.019142.jpg
As an added bonus it also has a clock
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454211238.059770.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts