Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 05 GTX Sport 600 HO. Had it out for the first time two weekends ago. AWESOME machine. I just started the sport this year with a 1998 Polaris Classic Touring sled. After riding a 05 Rev 500 I just had to get one. I know there is 6 years difference in the sleds but WOW what a difference. What do you out there in DOO land think about them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
GTX SPORT 600 HO said:
I just bought a new 05 GTX Sport 600 HO. Had it out for the first time two weekends ago. AWESOME machine. I just started the sport this year with a 1998 Polaris Classic Touring sled. After riding a 05 Rev 500 I just had to get one. I know there is 6 years difference in the sleds but WOW what a difference. What do you out there in DOO land think about them?

[snapback]305872[/snapback]​
My brother has a GTX 500SS, seems to be a great sled, the ride is awesome
better than my REV MXZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
I love my sled so far. (500SS) Rides like a dream. Pulls like crazy and the storage space is awesome! I got the large tunnel bag for it. I can put enough clothes in there for a week. I also like the fact that when you leave the wife at home you can also leave the rear seat with her.
My only complaint is the rear hand warmers stopped working after only 175 miles. I don't know what they are goint to do to fix them either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
GTX 600HO SDI Limited. So far the sled is great, except watch out for rapid slider wear at rear idler wheels. The REV in a touring model offers some real comfort when the trails get rough. Gas mileage has been 20.5 miles/ imperial gallon (or 17 miles/US) riding 2-up. The most comfortable seats on a touring sled to date. SDI always starts, first push of the starter. With fuel caddy I should get almost 225 miles on fumes. For those which tour 2-up, the hard luggage is worth it, secure and dry. For those which suffer from ice build-up which rattles in the tunnel, this sled doesn't seem to have that problem, and the occasional time it does, it's much easier to clear than the old Zx chassis. Things I don't like about the GTX are useless mirrors and it's not easy to fill with gas, with the white plastic insert in the gas tank and the handlebars get in the way of pump nozzle. I get some belt burning, the dealer is working to resolve. The rear handwarmers still work, but all rear handwarmers to date (all sleds I've owned) have just been so so. I put an Ice Claw track on, which has better hook-up in snow than OEM, and I haven’t encountered any ice and hardpack to know how studs will work.. I can say that the studs make a mess of the concrete floor when I spun. The new clips on the Ice Claw hold snow/ice and slides don't touch metal clip. These special clips actual seem to work well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
GTX 600 SDI with 1.25 track -- 752 miles -- running great. Buddy has same sled no problems either. 18-21 mpg imperial. Haven't used the back seat yet; will be using it this weekend for the first time. Been trail running, ice fishing, and it has performed flawlessly in all conditions. Great sled. Fixed both the mirror problem and the gas tank access. Pushed the mirrors out about 2 inches, and replaced the handlebar cover with the Expedition set-up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GTX-Doo said:
GTX 600 SDI with 1.25 track -- 752 miles -- running great. Buddy has same sled no problems either. 18-21 mpg imperial. Haven't used the back seat yet; will be using it this weekend for the first time. Been trail running, ice fishing, and it has performed flawlessly in all conditions. Great sled. Fixed both the mirror problem and the gas tank access. Pushed the mirrors out about 2 inches, and replaced the handlebar cover with the Expedition set-up.
[snapback]306585[/snapback]​
What did you have to do to push them out 2"? Mirrors are my only problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTX-Doo said:
GTX 600 SDI with 1.25 track -- 752 miles -- running great. Buddy has same sled no problems either. 18-21 mpg imperial. Haven't used the back seat yet; will be using it this weekend for the first time. Been trail running, ice fishing, and it has performed flawlessly in all conditions. Great sled. Fixed both the mirror problem and the gas tank access. Pushed the mirrors out about 2 inches, and replaced the handlebar cover with the Expedition set-up.
[snapback]306585[/snapback]​
I forgot. Does the cover still fit after moving them out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Back from a 2 day excursion with the little woman on the back. She found it very comfortable. The sled performed flawlessly again. The ride of this sled is awsome. Compared to my 02 GT my trail speed with 2 up increased 10 to 20 k on average and she didn't even realize it. She didn't hit me on the back of the head once.
It is just soooo smooooth.

GTSport600ho -- If you look at my pick above you can see the 2" plate I used to push the mirrors out towards the sides. Also, you will notice I removed the vinal cover and replaced it with the one from the Expidition (which is a lot simpler and gives good access to the gas tank)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
SnowCruiser said:
GTX 600HO SDI Limited. So far the sled is great, except watch out for rapid slider wear at rear idler wheels. The REV in a touring model offers some real comfort when the trails get rough. Gas mileage has been 20.5 miles/ imperial gallon (or 17 miles/US) riding 2-up. The most comfortable seats on a touring sled to date. SDI always starts, first push of the starter. With fuel caddy I should get almost 225 miles on fumes. For those which tour 2-up, the hard luggage is worth it, secure and dry. For those which suffer from ice build-up which rattles in the tunnel, this sled doesn't seem to have that problem, and the occasional time it does, it's much easier to clear than the old Zx chassis. Things I don't like about the GTX are useless mirrors and it's not easy to fill with gas, with the white plastic insert in the gas tank and the handlebars get in the way of pump nozzle. I get some belt burning, the dealer is working to resolve. The rear handwarmers still work, but all rear handwarmers to date (all sleds I've owned) have just been so so. I put an Ice Claw track on, which has better hook-up in snow than OEM, and I haven't encountered any ice and hardpack to know how studs will work.. I can say that the studs make a mess of the concrete floor when I spun. The new clips on the Ice Claw hold snow/ice and slides don't touch metal clip. These special clips actual seem to work well.
[snapback]306098[/snapback]​
Do you know if the 16 inch track will fit? considering ordering a 06, but with the 16 inch track.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,516 Posts
Walleyeguy,

Yes, the 16" track will fit. You might even want to get the 1.25" lugs as well if you want better offtrail performance.

Check out the thread:

www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34295&hl=
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I spoke with a factory rep/racer in Burlingtn,Vt this week. When I asked about the handwarmers he smiled. They know the issue. He said" The wires coiled in the hand grip are getting too hot and shorting out on themselves when it starts to melt the plastic" in the hand grip. No info on the replacement procedure or if the corrected hand warmer is being produced yet. Maybe only use them on the low setting for now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
frostyy said:
Walleyeguy,

Yes, the 16" track will fit. You might even want to get the 1.25" lugs as well if you want better offtrail performance.

Check out the thread:

www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34295&hl=
[snapback]362836[/snapback]​
Thanks Frosty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Well - 1940 miles so far and all is well; never fouled a plug - got it back from the dealer after the checkup and they fixed 2 issues I had --- the oil usage - about 40-1 now vs 20-1 before --- fixed the overheating too --- prior to the checkup it tended to overheat on lousy snow condiditons - last trip to the fish camp we had hard trails and the highest the temp gauge got was between 1/2 and 3/4 when going through the trees very slowly.

Love the storage capacity of this sled --- our fish camp is 50 miles from civilization --- last trip up I carried --- a large cooler --- 7 gals gas (1-3gal, 2-2gal) (I can up that to 9 gals if I need to) --- fishing gear pack --- misc pack --- sleeping bag --- on my GTX so I didn't need to haul a sleigh - sure makes it easy; don't have to keep an eye on the sleigh when going over the non-groomed trails since they tend to tip over sometimes and I was able to cruze along about 20k - 30k faster then with a sleigh. That GTX just eats up the rough stuff --- with the 1.25 track I don't worry about deep snow --- it crawls through the trees like a mountain goat --- with the SDI I don't worry about gas (it reduced my gas requirements by about half from my old SD GT 600) --- all in all it is a great sled.

Oh yea, I almost gave up sledding because of a bad back --- I have not had an ounce of pain riding this sled .

My buddy who has an identical sled has not had a speck of trouble either and he hasn't brought it in for a checkup. On the back of his sled he carries a medium cooler --- 5 gal gas --- ice auger --- misc pack --- sleeping bag --- fishing gear including a bag of minnows.

On our last trip 2 yam - RX1 & Vector and a cat came up behind us on the groomed trail --- we were doing 80-100k --- we let them pass --- at the fork in the trail where the groomed trail stops and the ungroomed towards our camp starts they were stopped and we stopped --- they said we were the fastest fishermen they ever saw on the trails
- they were going in the same direction as us up past our camp -- when we start to get ready to go they said "let us get out front" so we let them go -- we waited for 2 other guys who were on older sleds - I woud say the yamies left about 5 min ahead of us -- about half way to our camp guess who my buddy and I (rev's) caught up with - even with our loaded down sleds --- good thing too as they were almost going to make a wrong turn --- anyway these GTX's just eat up the rough stuff -- those yamies looked cool but can't take the rough stuff and the cat - well - you know.....
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top