Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ask the question, because one of the best dealers i have ever seen, cant even buy brp parts.
from what i was told, they were told they had to sell/buy/be responsable what ever amount of sleds. it was not something stupid, he told me in a good year it would be alright. he said i can not afford to do that. brp the maker of the #1 selling snowmobile then told him he was done. they will not even sell him parts. what is more crazy, they have been a dealer for more 30 something years. why? dosent make any sence. he used to build and race doos, placqes on the wall! best dealer! service! now, he cant get parts. is this happening anywhere else?

·
Registered
0 Posts
ejbrev2003 said:
i ask the question, because one of the best dealers i have ever seen, cant even buy brp parts.
from what i was told, they were told they had to sell/buy/be responsable what ever amount of sleds. it was not something stupid, he told me in a good year it would be alright. he said i can not afford to do that. brp the maker of the #1 selling snowmobile then told him he was done. they will not even sell him parts. what is more crazy, they have been a dealer for more 30 something years. why? dosent make any sence. he used to build and race doos, placqes on the wall! best dealer! service! now, he cant get parts. is this happening anywhere else?

[snapback]704275[/snapback]​
This does happen. Back in the 80's a dealer near me sold Doo and Yamaha. Doo told him he had to get rid of Yamaha if he wanted to keep selling Doo. He sells Yamaha bikes in the Summer so he told Doo to stick it and then he picked up Cat as his second line. Three years ago another dealership in PA had his dealership pulled because he wasn't selling what Doo felt he should be. I know Doo puts alot of pressure on its dealers but it's not only Doo. When Polaris was no 1 thru the 90's they did the same thing. I think that these manufactures get a chip on their shoulders when they are at or near the top of the food chain. This is a bad year to demand anything from your dealers, most dealers are choking on leftover sleds and it's only going to get worse with this Winter and the economy.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Since your in Michigan what dealer is it?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
twin lakes, lewiston. they still do repairs, but have to get there parts from another dealer, which is , big no no, brp does not like that. to boot the other dealer said he might stop dealing with brp too. they do good work for a reasonable price , fixxed my brothers 2 sleds,he bought them there. 2000 800 grand touring / air compresser rebuild , cleaned carbs ,replaced slides , changed some electrial part can not remember what it was, it would not run. 2000 600 grand touring cleaned carbs replaced slides. he also went trough both sleds and checked them out and made sure everything else was ok. $500. seams like a fare price. the compresser new was like $350 , but like i said he rebuilt it. it also seams strange, but they still sell evenrude outboards.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
R U kidding if thats your dealer i feel sorry 4 U. They had a friends 3 times to fix it and kept messing with the carbs. He finally took it 2 dee's and while they were writing it up they told him the rings were bad and fixed it. Charged him $85 to adjust the carbs because in there words " man were they [email protected]#ked up". He hasent been back 2 Twin Lakes again.

·
Registered
648 Posts
My local dealer was forced out by Doo. A small family run business that did a great job and really cared about thier customers. I was really upset when I found out they were closing but figured I would go back to my old dealer who also did a great job but was just to far away. The first time I called the old dealer all I got was a recording saying, "Sorry DZ Barn is no longer in business." We lost both Doo dealers in this part of the state. Doo2

·
Registered
336 Posts
It is true, I know a dealer. They are required to order and sell a number of sleds,acessories etc. BRP seems to be not really concerned about low snow falls or customer base. The word is sell or don't sell at all. This is how many manufactures deal and yes, many dealers are now lossing there bussiness.

Not sure why, maybe the manufactures are trying to reduce there dealer bases? In any case thats a pretty bad way of doing so and does not show much respect to 20 year old dealers.

Which is why many manufactures are losing sales to better manufactures.

If you think i am lieing, go check out E-bay. There is a BRP dealer with over 600 items that he is trying to sell. There is dealers selling items at cost !! This takes a lot of time and money to do. Why do you think they are doing this??

Look at what manufactures are doing.

G.M-Ford= toyoda, honda

Polaris,A.C,BRP= Yamaha, Kawasiki, honda.

It's about money and hard heads !!! Some learn, some don't !!

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
ejbrev2003 said:

[snapback]704275[/snapback]​
Just remember there are always 2 sides to every story.

I don't know the other side of your story, but let me tell you one around here; Sounds a lot like your guy, 30 years, did it all, great guy, etc... Well, the story goes, and this is only a story, so take it for what it's worth, but I've heard it enough from enough quality people at least some of it has to be true; apparently this guy decided he was bigger than BRP, and he was going to prove it. He either started or was a member of a group of dealers who decided they didn't like how BRP was doing business so they were going to in effect "unionize" and FORCE BRP to treat THEM differently than every other dealer. If BRP didn't do what they wanted they were all going to stop selling BRP stuff. They weren't going to give up their franchise or sell it, they were just going to stop buying and selling BRP products - until BRP came around and did business how THEY told BRP to, in effect holding BRP hostage. These were older dealerships with a long track record, so BRP was going to just pull the plug on them, but they were forced to do something. Some guys lost dealerships, some lost any and all good relationships that had been built over the years. In a case like this, NO ONE wins.

Hopefully this isn't the case with your guy and it was something else. But remember, there are always 2 sides...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts