Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 05 800 Rev Summit. After three trips (120 miles 10 hours) babying the sled I started to get on it pulling some hills. After a few climbs (full throttle 15 to 30 seconds each climb) my sled fell on it face while under full power. Real bad loss of power, my guess around a 30% loss. If I let the sled sit for a few minutes or idle a few minutes it would climb a couple good climbs then lose power again. Took it to the dealer and told there was nothing wrong. They told me to come back at 250 miles if it is still doing it. We were riding 4000 to 5000 feet.

Also blew a belt at 100 miles. Put a new one on and that belt started to come apart after 50 miles. The dealer said that the clutches were aligned and I was out of luck on getting a new belt. When asked how I would fix the problem they said the clutches were aligned and the belts are not a warranty item. No help what so ever. This happen a Ride Motorsports in Woodinville.

Any ideas on what might be happening?

G

·
As I have been told, by some very good people in the business.
The stock rings are junk. They can be ruined in less than 20 miles or 200 miles, depends on your riding style.
As for the clutch's, I FIRMLY believe, Ski-doo has it all WRONG on the alignment.
I also went through 2 belts last year, crappy as it was, still 2 belts in 364 miles? NON Warr. issue.
You might consider going to Lynnwood Motorplex. Sumner just had his " Repair'd" with 2 new belts to boot. The Belt Warr. issue is up to the dealer.
Not what you wanted to hear, but gives you some options on where to go from here.
You already know how I feel about my RKT set-up!
Smitty

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with smitty800. try a new dealer and see what happens.. If you have a compression gauge check your compression and see if both cyl. are the same.. Smitty 800 is right too on the BAD rings ... and most dealers won't fess up about it.. unless you have a good dealer.. If you go to ttabs mods shop. post in the mountain section, both of us have been doing a lot of general mods to the machines and posted lost of pics and how to with lots of other guys imputs also.. Besides Smitty and ttabs are trying to break each other piggy banks.. and I have been having lots of fun.. By the way you might go to duck899 he's a member on here and check out his floating secondary kit.. I bought one and put it in mine and so has many other people and for me it has cut back on lots of the belt dust.. Might be worth a try..... it also i in the ttabs mods... and by the way.. You might just replace y9our sparkplugs and see if that changes anything. Might be fouled..Smitty knows lots about that... and check all of the hoses to your carb and the compensator. That is just above the carbs. and check all the quick disconect plugs. Might be loose...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
x-man said:
I agree with smitty800. try a new dealer and see what happens.. If you have a compression gauge check your compression and see if both cyl. are the same.. Smitty 800 is right too on the BAD rings ... and most dealers won't fess up about it.. unless you have a good dealer.. If you go to ttabs mods shop. post in the mountain section, both of us have been doing a lot of general mods to the machines and posted lost of pics and how to with lots of other guys imputs also.. Besides Smitty and ttabs are trying to break each other piggy banks.. and I have been having lots of fun.. By the way you might go to duck899 he's a member on here and check out his floating secondary kit.. I bought one and put it in mine and so has many other people and for me it has cut back on lots of the belt dust.. Might be worth a try..... it also i in the ttabs mods... and by the way.. You might just replace y9our sparkplugs and see if that changes anything. Might be fouled..Smitty knows lots about that...
[snapback]685627[/snapback]​
The whole reason I sold my Mod Polaris and bought a REV was I was sick of working on a Mod sled.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
What is your rpm running when climbing WOT? is there a chance it may be over-revving and shutting down automatically? If you pay close attention and run a steady 7500 rpm does this still happen? If not, you may have clutching issues and need to add pin weight or just need to adjust your clicker settings, Each click down should drop your rpm by about 200. Just a thought and would also cause a belt to smoke if it was slipping and getting too hot. Good luck

G

·
Torq,
Not to worry,
There are enough GOOD people here that can get you dialed in.
We are heading to Greenwater tommorrow, can spend some time on your sled if you like, or we can hook again later and dial away. I have learned a lot on this site, probably the best thing going for us " Dealer don't care about the customer"
issue.
Lynwood took good care of Sumner this week, corrected alignment and 2 new belts.
Give them a call, tell them Smitty and Sumner sent you down, and need a dealer that give's a hoot!!
Smitty

·
Registered
682 Posts
Need to figure out whether it clutching or engine 1st. The clutches are calibrated for a pretty hard belt compound, put the belt "in a box" and pound some hills and its' sticky, and starts acting like a soft belt. Rpms fall off. That's one theory.
Now engine, yes rings maybe, but another thing that seems to happen to the 800 more than the smaller series 3 is heat soak. Gutting the stat and blocking the bypass really helps, as does (on some models) fooling the temp sender. Another thing I've seen happen is the the dpm go rich which possibly could be related to a coolant heat failsafe?
Take it all FWIW me and me buds have fought these same issues for afew years now. Addressing the colling and clutching always seemd to fix it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sharky74 said:
What is your rpm running when climbing WOT? is there a chance it may be over-revving and shutting down automatically? If you pay close attention and run a steady 7500 rpm does this still happen? If not, you may have clutching issues and need to add pin weight or just need to adjust your clicker settings, Each click down should drop your rpm by about 200. Just a thought and would also cause a belt to smoke if it was slipping and getting too hot. Good luck

[snapback]685645[/snapback]​
The RPM's were 7400 with the clickers on 3. I bumped them up to 5 and was running 7700 to 7800 and the sled ran the same.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
smittys800 said:
Torq,
Not to worry,
There are enough GOOD people here that can get you dialed in.
We are heading to Greenwater tommorrow, can spend some time on your sled if you like, or we can hook again later and dial away. I have learned a lot on this site, probably the best thing going for us " Dealer don't care about the customer"
issue.
Lynwood took good care of Sumner this week, corrected alignment and 2 new belts.
Give them a call, tell them Smitty and Sumner sent you down, and need a dealer that give's a hoot!!
Smitty
[snapback]685680[/snapback]​
I will be up at Hyak tomorrow running it till it fails. I put a can on and will put a .006 shim behind the clutch. We will see. I will keep ya posted. Would have been up today but got cought in the I-90 closer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BMEP said:
Need to figure out whether it clutching or engine 1st. The clutches are calibrated for a pretty hard belt compound, put the belt "in a box" and pound some hills and its' sticky, and starts acting like a soft belt. Rpms fall off. That's one theory.
Now engine, yes rings maybe, but another thing that seems to happen to the 800 more than the smaller series 3 is heat soak. Gutting the stat and blocking the bypass really helps, as does (on some models) fooling the temp sender. Another thing I've seen happen is the the dpm go rich which possibly could be related to a coolant heat failsafe?
Take it all FWIW me and me buds have fought these same issues for afew years now. Addressing the colling and clutching always seemd to fix it.
[snapback]685711[/snapback]​
I saw Smitty800's REV and got some ideas about cooling. I will try som of that when I get some time.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Is it a SDI? Stock rings are on recall and if it is that is most probably your problem. On my 2004 Renegade 600 X, the black coating around my rings was completing gone, explaining my 102(pto) and 105(mag) loss of compression. There was a service bulletin put out about all the rings but I am pretty sure the SDI's were on a recall, cant completely remember but definately do a compression test, btw what do you have it jetted? Thats pretty high up there. Considering there is no mountains anywhere near where I live. As for the belts, Id just say bad luck, my belts have all worked out great for me.... Even the one on both of our 800 mod machines, lasted a whole year of racing. Make sure you got the right belt for your machine other then that look for a new dealer

·
Registered
368 Posts
Check all of your DPM air lines.
Check the one that plugs into the outer air box (mounted on the inside of the left panel).
Pull the main air box and check the lines behind the carbs.
Check the plug boots and go ahead and replace your plugs.
After all of that, check your compression.
If you blew a belt as in "cat in a microwave" blown, you might want to (really should) pull the primary and take a look at the outer PTO seal.
Good luck,
hickster

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me on my 04 800. I could climb great but sometimes it would fall on its face intermittantly. If i'd let off the gas and get back into it, it would finish the climb. I ended the season with this problem, and hoped it would magically go away over the summer. It didn't. The first ride of the following season, the engine melted down. One of the pistons melted all the way down to the ring groove. Thankfully, I had warranty.
But here is the kicker, Skidoo tried to tell me it was caused by a cold seize. They said it will only take one time of firing up cold and takin off to do it. May melt down that day, or may melt down next year. All I know is I warm my sleds up for at least 5 minutes now so there is no question. Thankfully I have a good dealer who went to bat for me and the warranty went through.
If I were you I would take your sled in and demand an inspection of the engine, if you don't you might be experiencing a meltdown in the near future.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
summit436 said:
I had the exact same thing happen to me on my 04 800. I could climb great but sometimes it would fall on its face intermittantly. If i'd let off the gas and get back into it, it would finish the climb. I ended the season with this problem, and hoped it would magically go away over the summer. It didn't. The first ride of the following season, the engine melted down. One of the pistons melted all the way down to the ring groove. Thankfully, I had warranty.
But here is the kicker, Skidoo tried to tell me it was caused by a cold seize. They said it will only take one time of firing up cold and takin off to do it. May melt down that day, or may melt down next year. All I know is I warm my sleds up for at least 5 minutes now so there is no question. Thankfully I have a good dealer who went to bat for me and the warranty went through.
If I were you I would take your sled in and demand an inspection of the engine, if you don't you might be experiencing a meltdown in the near future.
[snapback]688607[/snapback]​
I rode this week end and had a pretty all around sh!ty ride. My sled feels like its running on one piston. Also got turned around Saturday when they closed the pass. We all went home except a new guy that was going to ride with us. It was his fourth ride. He decided to go riding when the pass was open later that day. When we got to the pass the next morning we had heard that he was missing. While I was disassembling my carbs on the trail my friends rode on. My friends found him. He had flipped his sled of a ten foot ledge it landed on him killing him. It was hard to sleep last night. Be Safe.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Tork,

VERY sorry to hear of the loss...thoughts and prayers with family and friends!!!!

sounds like a freak accident....always have to be careful, and ride with others...read a litte on this on SnoWest...got seperated from son or friend or something?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.