Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2020 900 ace . Yesterday twice it started loosing power wile i was driving along at 50 mph and when i give it more throttle it would sputter and back fire, drove it til it would hardly haul its self then stop , Shut it off for a couple of minutes start it back up work perfect again. 40 miles later same thing. Shut it off let sit . Started again drove 50 back to camp worked great. Today put 145 mile on no problem . Can any one tell me what i should at for the problem?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Seems to be a few sleds with fuel pump related issues. Don't recall seeing much of that in years past with the 900ACE sleds.

Curious if the problem is a faulty pump, dirty/clogged filters, or something else.

I did see the part number for the fuel pump assembly has changed at some point, not sure why.

Previous # 513033773, new # 513033996.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i also had the exact same problem, my sled has been at the dealers for 3 weeks now waiting on a fuel pump. like said on backorder till may 10th i am told my winter is over on this sled not a happy camper on this end.

·
boost junkie
10,601 Posts
you know the dealer cant just change filters...lol

Reactions: RENREV

·
Registered
718 Posts
Buddys did the same, shut it off for a bit then could go for a while. Turned out the sock on the pump would plug up with junk because he used a sh it y slip tank that had rust in it. Plugged the filter aswell. Dealer changed pump anyway and took tank off to clean properly. All good now. Dont use junk old slip tanks for at home storage!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have had it happen on two 900s changed the filter sock on the fuel pump and the inline filter. Both sleds have logged 1000s of miles since with out issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my 2020 900 turbo. My friend lent me his tank with pump included since he was sure that was the problem. Issue solved. Just need to get a new pump now. My sock also had a covering of very fine black powder/ wet dust. I don’t think it was heavy enough to cause the issue

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
In Quebec last year I had sled in heated garage then when out and it was cold. 5 mins into ride sled went into limp mode. I shut it down, opened gas cap but didnt hear anything with helmet on. Started sled back up and all good and fine all this year. Dealer stated tank rapid cooled and negative pressure starved fuel pump so when I opened cap I fixed issue.

Is there any thought that the EPA required vent restrictor (check valve part 60) is hard on pumps and causing failures that are not filter related?

Check Valve.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good point. Just about everyone notices the sound when you open the tank. Something is going on to ruin these pumps. We need to get to the bottom of this. Cant be replacing pumps off warranty and loosing half the season.

This seems to be the failure mode... Doesn't quit entirely and usually able to limp home indicating something has worn rather than broke. I doubt the dealer will let me play with the old pump.

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,316 Posts
In Quebec last year I had sled in heated garage then when out and it was cold. 5 mins into ride sled went into limp mode. I shut it down, opened gas cap but didnt hear anything with helmet on. Started sled back up and all good and fine all this year. Dealer stated tank rapid cooled and negative pressure starved fuel pump so when I opened cap I fixed issue.

Is there any thought that the EPA required vent restrictor (check valve part 60) is hard on pumps and causing failures that are not filter related?

attachicon.gif
Check Valve.JPG
Tank needs to breath and Not spill fuel .or you'd have a fire .

·
Registered
677 Posts
My dad had a 2020 900T last season and this season. Last season it did the same thing near the end of the season. So he took it in to dealer and they found some plastic filings or something like that in the tank. Cleaned it out and it ran perfect all this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
27,912 Posts
My dad had a 2020 900T last season and this season. Last season it did the same thing near the end of the season. So he took it in to dealer and they found some plastic filings or something like that in the tank. Cleaned it out and it ran perfect all this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have seen such plastic shavings when turning the gas tank upside down to empty. It was an older XP sled which was once considered new. While it did not clog any filter, I am not reassured to know a 2020 has the same shavings. Thanks for sharing.

I should note these shavings were from making the holes in the tank during assembly.

·
Premium Member
27,912 Posts
Good point. Just about everyone notices the sound when you open the tank. Something is going on to ruin these pumps. We need to get to the bottom of this. Cant be replacing pumps off warranty and loosing half the season.
This seems to be the failure mode... Doesn't quit entirely and usually able to limp home indicating something has worn rather than broke. I doubt the dealer will let me play with the old pump.
It would be good to know if the EVAP system is within tolerance.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

Hopefully Doo will look into possible causes of what is causing the issue with the fuel pump issue.

Sure would hate to have someone have the problem arise when travelling alone and in remote areas.

·
Registered
41 Posts
went for a 400km run today, at 300 km into the run it start cutting and backfiring,

there was 3 bar left on gauge so i thought i was low in fuel, i dropped 4 gal into it, start back and ran fine for about 50km then start cutting again,

drived home at 30km/h backfiring all the way.

When i arrived, I drived it in my garage and went home, came back about 10 min later, when I got close to the sled, I could here a hising sound, it was coming from the fuel cap, when I removed the cap, it blew almost to the ceiling.

What could cause such a pressure in the tank?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
went for a 400km run today, at 300 km into the run it start cutting and backfiring,
there was 3 bar left on gauge so i thought i was low in fuel, i dropped 4 gal into it, start back and ran fine for about 50km then start cutting again,
drived home at 30km/h backfiring all the way.

When i arrived, I drived it in my garage and went home, came back about 10 min later, when I got close to the sled, I could here a hising sound, it was coming from the fuel cap, when I removed the cap, it blew almost to the ceiling.

What could cause such a pressure in the tank?
It's heating up and expanding in your garage. There is a 2 way check valve, to bleed pressure from expansion and also to allow air to enter the tank as the fuel level drops. I believe doo has a test procedure with a handheld pump for seeing at what pressure and vacuum the valve opens.
An iced up or pinched hose could do the same thing.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts