Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed after riding a couple buddies’ sleds that the rear end on my sled is really squirrelly. If I come into a corner and just let off the gas the back end is sliding all over the place. If I hit the brakes it is even worse. The skis however are hard to turn and in a corner they are on rails. I don’t have to worry about missing a corner but more of if I can keep the back end on the trail. I have heard suggestions of loosening the front springs and to let the limiter strap out a little to transfer more weight to the back so the skis aren't so hard to turn and the rear end doesn't want to flip out on every turn. I also noticed that when racing my buddy on the lake (only about 2” of super hard pack and we both have studs) his will hook up much better then mine. He pulls out a 2 sled lead and then we are dead even until eternity. How can I get more hook up back there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hot dang hasn't anyone had this problem?

TTT

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would think your on the right track by loosening your limiter straps a little.how sping pressure do you have on the front springs?How much pressure on the rear springs?Do you have the correct springs on the rear suspension for your weight?The basics are if you stiffen up the frontshock spring in the rear skid and loosen up the limiter straps (and set your rear springs as light as you can with out compromising ride height) the sled should hook-up great,the down side is you now loose the ability to steer very good.You need to find a middle area that works for your riding style.Good luck figuring it out. FYI I run mine with the straps as loose as you can and set the front shock (rear skid ) as stiff as I can .I also do alot of off trail riding and not that much trail.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
First things first. If you haven't already go through the weight settings for your entire suspension, these are located on the belt guard, if I remember correctly. At least get to that point and then change one thing at a time.. Also, how does your sled handle in big bumps vs. small stutter bumps, at low speed and higher speed? Does it bottom occasionally on big bumps or never? Does it ride stiff over the small stutter bumps? Do you get any ski lift in the corners? There is always a compromise on the suspension setup. It sounds like you have a heavy amount of ski pressure cuz you said it is hard to turn and the back end gets a little loose going into corners. Also, how much carbide are you running and how many studs?

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To answer mxz longtrack's question's

The front springs are adjusted approximately half way or about 2 1/2 or so on the gauge I believe. Will double check tonight. The springs in the back are stock and I weigh approx 190lbs without riding gear.
That middle point of decent steering and better hook up is what I am searching for.

To marc brown 98:

I have gone through the spring settings on the belt guard for my weight at the beginning of the season when I put my shocks back in from being rebuilt. The sled handles fine in all the bumps little and large but does occasionally bottom out on the really big ones, when I am running hard. In the stutter bumps it is pretty stiff and I can generally go very quick and skip right off the tops of them without a problem. In the corners if I am turning really hard and am on a tight trail it is pretty easy to lift a ski in the corner. A matter of fact when one of my buddies was on it this weekend he noted how much more "tippy" it seemed compared to his sled. And yes I have a very heavy amount of ski pressure. It is very hard to turn in comparison to my other buddies. My carbides are 8" Woody's on C&A Ultra Pro III skis.

One thing I noticed about riding on the trails with a loose rear end is I can tell almost immediately when a groomer went through last. If the trail is set up good it doesn't slide out much but still does it, and if a groomer has just come through the rear end is all over the place. Very difficult to control.

I appreciate you guys help, and hope I can fix it with your upcoming suggestions.

Josh

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also forgot to mention I have 144 studs in the back. The track is the original .88" and the studs are 1.175".

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
JB,
Good that you have everything at a known point. Also, good that you occasionally bottom on really big hits. Gotta like the bite of C&A's? I had a pair of C&A pro skis on an older polaris a few years ago and those are a nice aggressive ski, don't know how the ultra pros compare. Sounds like you need to take some ski pressure off the front end, you can do this by adjusting limiter straps and preload on the center shock I believe. Obviously this will take some compromise from the handling on rails of the front end. This will flatten the rear skid a little. I can't remember if doo has a sag spec for the 10-3. The thing to do for fine tuning like you want is to find a section of trail about a mile long with some average bumps and some turns and make 1 adjustment and then take a couple passes at your normal pace and see what you like and don't like.

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a good plan to me. I think I'll start by letting the straps out one to see how that affects things and then start playing with the front shock in the skid.
I do like the C&A's a lot. Especially when there is a lot of powder and loose snow they climb right on top like it's not even there. Then on the trails they bite like a pitbull. Can't go wrong there in my opinion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Josh , I was wondering are your studs just on the center section of the track or are you studded out side edges too?I've been told that studding the center section only will let the sled slide sideways while cornering. I agree with Marc Brown 98 that you need to get some lighter ski pressure up front.Good luck and keep us informed on what happens.

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope I have studs in the center and up the sides as well.

Gonna try to loosen the limiter straps tonight after work if I have time after I change the oil in my truck. No trails around my house though. Might be awhile before I have results to report.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts