Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im new to skidoo. Just bought my nicest sled to date. It's a 05 mxz 600 ho trail. I'm not sure if guys posted about this before but if they have I'm sorry. From what I have found the trail sled is a basic sled with absolutely nothing fancy. I'm looking for tips and ideas on ways to change that. I plan on keeping it for awhile. As of right now I have replaced the crappy carb boots with rage cages. Plan on getting a fixed windshield for it so I can put a raiser on and change the bars cause I like to stand more then sit. Anything lease I should do? I would like to change supenision but not sure. Also hear get rid of the skis I have and get the pilot skis?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
You pretty much have a idea of the best mods. Windshield/handguards, carb boots, suspension, riser, skis, maybe a clutch kit.

If it were mine and I wanted best bang for the buck:

Windshield/guards/riser: find a low from a X model and powermadd has a set up for your sled that attaches the handguards to the old mobile windshield mounts and comes with a riser.

Carb boots: done.

Suspension: call ian at monster performance. See if he has a set of shocks off a sc3 X model. He will rebuild/valve them for you and your riding style. They won't be clicker shocks but they will be less than half the price all set up.

Skis: pilots with shaper bars if you want cheap and better than your precisions. If you want ultra precise steering at the expense of a little heavier steering go aftermarket, more money tho.

Clutch kit is last on my list. Expensive and it is better than stock the other things are more important to me. Suspension being number one. Either a DJ clutch kit or a cudney are very popular.

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Pull the clutches apart and inspect for worn parts, pull the skid and inspect, give the front suspension a good shake down, check for loose ball joints, tie rod ends and a-arm bushings.

Clean the Rave valves, clean the carbs.

Do maintenance stuff before modifying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dudes. I will give Ian a call. Any idea of what he would run me? I'm sure it's not cheap but that's alright. I have already did a shakedown on the whole sled the front end bushing are shot the brake rotor key way was bad so I replaced it. Flushed the coolant and change chain case oil. Both cly are at 130psi so they are ok. Only thing I'm worried about is the sled as 7500 miles and really sure how much life it has left. Was thinking of putting new rings in just to safe. As for as the bar raiser stuff goes how tall is the low for a x model?

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
If you just want to go ahead and test the post, couldn't hurt.

Test it at room temp and then also frozen(throw in the freeze for an hour or so)

Set meter to ohms, test across black wires

Tether off: OL

Tether on: 0.0-0.5 ohms

Anything else is bad.

My post has a cold issue, once it was warm it was ok. There's an updated part with a larger ring on it. Also giving the tabs on the inside of the tether a squeeze in wouldn't hurt, they can get out of shape.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Like said, check clutches for wear. Clutch springs get sacked so a simple replacement of them sometimes can take the place of a whole kit. Not expensive either. Keeping a good belt on there is a must.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I was assuming it was a lower mile sled. Def go through everything first, starting with the motor. Then you can mod it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking of rebuilding the motor myself being I'm a technician and part of my job is rebuilding motors. The more I think of it the more I would rather pay to have it done cause it looks like whole different ball game compared to what I do and I don't wanna risk it. Plus have a warranty on the rebuild would be nice

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just rebuilt my motor crank to the top. Ran about $950 from Utah crank. Crank was $650 after core and piston, rings, gaskets and seals were $300

·
Registered
40 Posts
Buy a shop manual! I was of the same opinion, my 500ss let go at the end of last year and I wanted to pull the engine and have someone do it for me for the same reasons as you. This is only my third year having owned a sled and I don't have much 2 stroke experience otherwise but I do pull wrenches for a living also. I sent out my crank, the two inner bearings were the cause of my failure, and with the manual did the rebuild myself. 500 miles later says I did alright I guess. I found the doo manual to be better than the crap that comes with a $300k machine I'm expected to fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts