Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 800 ho gade that has a ticking sound..its not the starter gear or ring gear bolts..definitly engine related
I want to check my boots w starter spray..
how do you do this without a mess???
plugs don't look lean..actually they were a little dirty
I ran 240 miles last year and my fuel oil usage was 1:30 and I lenghthened the cable trying to get to 1:40
Maybe went to long..my notes state ....almost at end of adjusting area
I didn't notice the sound last year..maybe it was there
comp is 137 137 wot 6 pulls w descent gauge

thanks in advance

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have a 04 800 ho gade that has a ticking sound..its not the starter gear or ring gear bolts..definitly engine related
I want to check my boots w starter spray..
how do you do this without a mess???
plugs don't look lean..actually they were a little dirty
I ran 240 miles last year and my fuel oil usage was 1:30 and I lenghthened the cable trying to get to 1:40
Maybe went to long..my notes state ....almost at end of adjusting area
I didn't notice the sound last year..maybe it was there
comp is 137 137 wot 6 pulls w descent gauge

thanks in advance
What kind of tick ? kind of a dead thud thud , metallic tink tink, vary with engine rpm. Can U hear with side panel closed ? The 800's rattle the air box pretty good, also the air snorkel inside side panel when open. If front is tweaked at all the exhaust spring in the center of the bend in pipe will rattle due to being loose. Best bet is to pull clutches, airbox, carbs off and inspect. Look plug wires and caps over good. Could be a loose bolt rattling around in the belly. If your running an 04 with stock boots you likely need to change them, getting 5 years out of these would be considered very good. Waiting too long would be very bad !! Just don't try to start with primary off.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
sounds like it might be a exhaust leak.If it time to check your boots, then you should be checking your Y pipe for cracks/holes/leaks also. You will need to pull it and shine a light into it. When you put your exhaust back together, use the permentex high temp exhaust sealent with copper in it.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
at 1st when a lower rod bearing is starting to go,it will tick at low rpms and go away with more throttle,,then get somewhat louder,then crack the lower case maybe?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
high pitched knocking sound at lower rpms..I have started to dig in..will post back boot conditions once removed

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
Never known of a carb boot to make a knock. Could be the primary clutch, a rod bearing, maybe the recoil starter or possibly excessive piston to wall clearance. Does it fade or dissapear once the engines good and warm?

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
high pitched knocking sound at lower rpms..I have started to dig in..will post back boot conditions once removed
remove y-pipe and look in at the pistons while rotating the primary back and forth,by hand/there should be no slop

remove the reed assembly and you might possibly find some metal type chips in there if so,plus you can get a better look at both sides of the pistons for wear that would cause piston slap

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
boots good
reeds clean
y pipe fine
raves clean
pto piston has wear on the skirts
this piston shaft had needle bearings (the loose kind) 27
the mag side piston was good and had caged bearings
pto piston had markings of 2531-09 then the size of 81.87
mag piston had markings of 2749-03 then the same size 81.37
what is the diff in markings??

I'll take the case up to dealer and have it inspected
hopefully only needs repacking

I'll send out the jugs..have them take it to oem specs..get a piston..get 2 rings and 1 cage

pics coming

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so if you stay out late and pick up piston slop how do you get rid of it??
I am debating what to doo

what causes this?? besides back ally sally

option 1
send out jugs..get one piston..2 rings..2 gudgeon pins..2 caged bearings

option 2
all of above and take crank case to dealer

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
You might be able to clean those cylinders up with muriatic acid and then use a Scotch Brite pad on them. They don't look that bad. And get two new pistons not just one. That is what the cheap skate did before you. 2 Pistons, 2 sets of rings and caged bearings.

I also see that there is an eight hole base gasket on there. Not sure if that is the correct thickness for that motor. Most had 5 or 6 hole on there. You would never know the correct thickness till you get it all back together and do a squish test.

Might be just a pin hole starting in that Y pipe. Check it out in a dark room with a flashlight.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
the pto piston is .020in or .050mm bigger than the mag side?,,better measure them and cyls before you buy pistons

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
Also better find the missing needle bearing, there should be 28 of them not 27. If it fell in the engine during disassembly it could be ugly on start up. If it wasnt there, that may be the source of yout ticking sound.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
When looking for the needle, take a good look down the coolant passages on the front of the case, they've been known to fall down in there. It seems as though the previous owner just threw the engine together so I wouldnt be surprised if they did assemble it short one needle.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found the 28th pin hiding on shop floor. The crank case is heading to dealer tomorrow. I'll have them measure the jugs and look at pistons. Need to find reason for worn skirt and knocking (same issue?). hard to figure out ..only put 240 miles on it since purchased..maybe I'll get lucky and the jugs n crank will be good.....sorta doubt it..anyone know what the different markings are on the pistons..

pto piston had markings of 2531-09 then the size of 81.87
mag piston had markings of 2749-03 then the same size 81.87 (typo earlier sorry)
what is the diff in markings??

thanks, Kurt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts