Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
possible 3 inch lug
Fair enough. I know a couple years ago guys were using templates to relocate their stock chain case. That way youy don't have to run a long weak chain, but it does put your drive shaft on the underside of the sled. I don't know if anyone had any ill effects because of it. I also don't remember who was selling the kit so I'm of not much use to you anyways. Lol

·
Far from cheap, but really close to broke!
5,880 Posts
Smaller drivers. cheaper and easier!!! Not going to notice a difference in the bending radius either

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Vanamburg's got the templates for under 90 bucks... if I recall it just relocates the shaft throught the tunnel. I would add the skid plate for the chain case that they have for around another 90 bucks.

I'm thinking of going with this setup for my REV project this summer.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
In wet heavy snow, the snow gets packed in hard at the front with the 7th drivers. Not really the proper way of doing a 3"lug

LetItSnow
I already run 7 tooth Avids and 2.5. will be too tight with a 3 inch and With the 880 a better approach angle will help keep the front down even with the Timbersled shimmed to the max skid .And yes its the only part unaltered on the sled.Avid does make extended setup for the REV and Specialty Sleds does sell a kit as well which drops the stock chaincase and jackshaft, This looks like the best option and not much $$.The 3 inch would be really sweet but want it in a 156.Waiting to see what Tracks USA does on this as there is a big following for this track.

·
Sled Builder
9,282 Posts
Fair enough. I know a couple years ago guys were using templates to relocate their stock chain case. That way youy don't have to run a long weak chain, but it does put your drive shaft on the underside of the sled. I don't know if anyone had any ill effects because of it. I also don't remember who was selling the kit so I'm of not much use to you anyways. Lol
I am curious as to why you think a longer chain is a weaker chain?

Wouldn't chain wear be more related to gear size and load, than length? A smaller sprocket would wear on a chain more than a larger sprocket due to the number of rotations and chain angle on the sprocket.

Why would a 72 link chain be stronger than an 80 link chain?

If that were true, then why would Ski-Doo keep the same chain width on the XP's as opposed to the REV's? The chain is much longer in an XP than those in a REV.

The REV's used a chain in 70-80 link range, the XP mountain sleds use 102-106 link range. The XP's have basically done an extended chaincase.

I was going to TIG two cases together and then remachine the surfaces for a drop and roll, but had enough clearance for 2.5" X 163" 2.86 pitch track in my REV.

Chain length was not a factor.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I am curious as to why you think a longer chain is a weaker chain?

Wouldn't chain wear be more related to gear size and load, than length? A smaller sprocket would wear on a chain more than a larger sprocket due to the number of rotations and chain angle on the sprocket.

Why would a 72 link chain be stronger than an 80 link chain?

If that were true, then why would Ski-Doo keep the same chain width on the XP's as opposed to the REV's? The chain is much longer in an XP than those in a REV.

The REV's used a chain in 70-80 link range, the XP mountain sleds use 102-106 link range. The XP's have basically done an extended chaincase.

I was going to TIG two cases together and then remachine the surfaces for a drop and roll, but had enough clearance for 2.5" X 163" 2.86 pitch track in my REV.

Chain length was not a factor.
Agreed, I do like the wider[ 2 plates] 07 chain over the XP width as I,ve even snapped the heavy duty ones, Dropping the stock jackshaft and chaincase looks like pretty simple project.Cleaner than welding.Some of the extended chain-cases ran the narrowed chain.What about the RT1 you had?

·
Sled Builder
9,282 Posts
Agreed, I do like the wider[ 2 plates] 07 chain over the XP width as I,ve even snapped the heavy duty ones, Dropping the stock jackshaft and chaincase looks like pretty simple project.Cleaner than welding.Some of the extended chain-cases ran the narrowed chain.What about the RT1 you had?
I am not sure what you mean. I have never had an RT1.

When I was going to do my 'merger'. I was going to TIG it, not weld it. Then smooth out the outside and have it powder coated. When I was done, it would have looked like a stock. larger case.

My goal, on any of my builds, is to look like the sled is supposed to be that way. Only by really looking at my sleds can you see the modifications that have been done.

Sure they powder coating, but that is just to keep them looking nice.

The only thing that scares about dropping the chaincase and lowering the axle is how far is hangs below the chassis.

We do a lot of boondocking, we hit rocks, tree stumps and whatever else is under the snow. I could just see me center punching a stump and bending an axle.

After all....you know what's covered up by 7' of snow?

Everything 6'11" and shorter.

That is basically why I chose not to do the drop and roll on this chassis. I have done many of them and they work well. I just know my luck in the back country....me and Murphy are pretty close. He knows his law, well. LOL

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not sure what you mean. I have never had an RT1.

When I was going to do my 'merger'. I was going to TIG it, not weld it. Then smooth out the outside and have it powder coated. When I was done, it would have looked like a stock. larger case.

My goal, on any of my builds, is to look like the sled is supposed to be that way. Only by really looking at my sleds can you see the modifications that have been done.

Sure they powder coating, but that is just to keep them looking nice.

The only thing that scares about dropping the chaincase and lowering the axle is how far is hangs below the chassis.

We do a lot of boondocking, we hit rocks, tree stumps and whatever else is under the snow. I could just see me center punching a stump and bending an axle.

After all....you know what's covered up by 7' of snow?

Everything 6'11" and shorter.

That is basically why I chose not to do the drop and roll on this chassis. I have done many of them and they work well. I just know my luck in the back country....me and Murphy are pretty close. He knows his law, well. LOL
Hmm I though I saw an RT1 on your mod post,Anyway the Drop shouldnt be more than 1.5 inch to protect drivers and I think id stay with 7 tooth for more clearance.Do people really ride in 7 inches of snow?We dont ride till 7 feet.

·
I Just Wanna Ride Man
2,420 Posts
C3 sells nice protective panels for the drop and roll chaincases. It might be minimal but wouldnt u lose some hp to the 7th drivers over the 8th's?

LetItSnow

·
Sled Builder
9,282 Posts
Hmm I though I saw an RT1 on your mod post,Anyway the Drop shouldnt be more than 1.5 inch to protect drivers and I think id stay with 7 tooth for more clearance.Do people really ride in 7 inches of snow?We dont ride till 7 feet.
Um.....I put 7 feet of snow. LOL

7 feet of snow only covers up things 6 foot 11 inches and shorter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts