Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not looking to start any arguments! Coming off AC for ten years I have enjoyed them and have no real grippes. I have ridden the older REV chassis and liked them. Looking at possibly getting an 09 or newer DOO. Never rode one but I hear that the are lighter and handle well compared to AC. I dont care about the fastest on the lake but I do ride fairly fast on trails with sometimes rough TUG HILL NY conditions, so suspension and weight is important (thats why no YAM>). Looking for a 600 for wife but I would like an 800 coming off an F7-Sno Pro.
Here is what scares me- It seems that I read alot about motor issues with 800s and I see people adding hundreds to upgrade suspension and chassis (braces etc). I am not saying my F7 SP was the greatest, but I did not have to modify it with aftermarket parts to hold up for 5 yrs and 6000mi.
I no how the internet forums can be, and I dont take it all in. But when I check in from time to time I have been reading more on these issues with newer DOO sleds. You read AC forums and you dont read of blown motors often, adding suspension/frame braces etc.
I respectfully want your opinions.Thank you
PS-700 Grand Touring is my fathers, great sled

·
Registered
906 Posts
Not looking to start any arguments! Coming off AC for ten years I have enjoyed them and have no real grippes. I have ridden the older REV chassis and liked them. Looking at possibly getting an 09 or newer DOO. Never rode one but I hear that the are lighter and handle well compared to AC. I dont care about the fastest on the lake but I do ride fairly fast on trails with sometimes rough TUG HILL NY conditions, so suspension and weight is important (thats why no YAM>). Looking for a 600 for wife but I would like an 800 coming off an F7-Sno Pro.
Here is what scares me- It seems that I read alot about motor issues with 800s and I see people adding hundreds to upgrade suspension and chassis (braces etc). I am not saying my F7 SP was the greatest, but I did not have to modify it with aftermarket parts to hold up for 5 yrs and 6000mi.
I no how the internet forums can be, and I dont take it all in. But when I check in from time to time I have been reading more on these issues with newer DOO sleds. You read AC forums and you dont read of blown motors often, adding suspension/frame braces etc.
I was riding CAT's for 25yrs, and last year jumped ship to doo with a 09 600 E-tec TNT. I'm going to tell you right up front, the doo XP chassis won't take the pounding my CAT chassis took. With that in mind, the doo chassis is lighter, more fun to ride, but will bend easier. Here in PA, we take the term "ditch banging" to the extreme, since by the time the gas companys plow what little snow we get, all we pretty much have left to ride in are the ditchs!!! In 25yrs on CAT's I only every bent one A-arm. Last year on my XP, I had three different incidents. One resulted in a bent lower right A-arm, another a bent left spindle, and the other a bent S-module. I can honestly say, I bounced my snopro of stuff much harder, and never bent anything. Now, with all that said, I hope you don't think I'm running down the new doo's, just trying to give you what information I can provide. Was the cost of repairs and time worth the improvement in ride over my CAT's? Hell yeh!!!!! The new XP is by far the best handleing and suspension chassis I've every ridin, even better than my Trail converted 440 snopro CAT. I like the XP so much, I spring ordered another one. Although, I have learned to let my buddys lead when we are boondocking in unexplored teritory, hopefully that will save me on some bent parts for next season. One another note, my girl friend has alway bitched and complained about never being comfortable, or feel she is in control of the sleds she's rode in the past. I let her ride my E-tec last year, and to my suprize, she loved it!! So, even if anyone feeds you a bunch of complaints about the XP's, just keep in mind, the pro's definatly out way any cons.

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Yes it's true Cat hasn't had any engine issues related to the EPA, yet...I'm really anxious to see what Cat does for 2012, they have to have something coming out to deal with the emission regs... As for Doo's 800R some have had problems and others haven't. It's just part of these growing pains with the epa but in the end we'll all have more powerful sleds that get better mileage. Hopefully DI is the solution, so far so good...

Back to the 800R. The problem lies with Doo running really advanced timing to meet the regs so the engines run physically hot in the mid-range. With the carbed 800R it's an easy fix to add a little fuel in the mid-range to act as a band-aid fix for the really advanced timing. All you have to do is add an extra shim under your needles. I did that along with #20 pilot jets for the hanging idle, the stock pilots are 17.5. My plugs are black and I'm only getting 10-12 mpg but I ride worry free. I've got about 2,400 miles on my 09 800R, so far so good. I never rode it with the stock setup so I don't know what if any power I'm missing / got put back on the table but in good traction conditions I can nail it at 40mph and hold the skis in the air till 80+ (dream-o-meter indicated). The cool thing with Doo's DPM is that you get EFI like peformace (automatic temp compensation / same crisp throttle response whether it's -20 or 40 above) yet you still retain the ability to go in there and easily adjust the base line / add fuel for peace of mind without having to spends hundreds on a control box. Course getting to the carbs on an XP is kind of a pain but it's a once and done job. That's good that you're looking at 09 or newer cuz the 08s had some issues, most of which were addressed for 09. I'm sure you'll be looking at an X-Pkg but just in case steer clear of the 09 Adrenaline as that was the only 09 that didn't get the rear arm update which lets it ride plusher on the small stuff and allowed them to calibrate the shock stiffer to absorb the big hits at the same time. I only mention cuz some big bump guys will buy the cheap shock version to save some coin knowing they'll be upgrading to aftermarket shocks anyways...

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I have 10,600 miles on my 08, I did shim my needles when new. Oil and gas as far as the motor goes. At the end of this season I needed a new track, clutch rebuild and front end bushings. still has 140 in each cylinder. I have run spectro full synthetic from day one. sled still pulls like a beast and gets beat on every chance I get. I do summerize the motor each year and service it when it needs it.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Like bird says the pros outweigh the cons, are they perfect? no but IMO the best sleds out there, (I've got 3500 miles on both my xp's without any trouble although I inspect my sleds carefully almost every ride), but you should spend some time on one if your not sure, another thing doo has going for it is this site, if you have questions there's alot of guys on here willing to help with their knowledge.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Like bird says the pros outweigh the cons, are they perfect? no but IMO the best sleds out there, (I've got 3500 miles on both my xp's without any trouble although I inspect my sleds carefully almost every ride), but you should spend some time on one if your not sure, another thing doo has going for it is this site, if you have questions there's alot of guys on here willing to help with their knowledge.
X2, dootalk is by far the best snowmobile form!! Although I do think sometimes the moderators take things a bit to far, like when they made me take off my avatar picture of the girl bouncing her jugs. I mean she had a shirt on, come on guys. Like razer said, if you have a question the guys on dootalk will usually get you a answer.

·
Registered
764 Posts
X2, dootalk is by far the best snowmobile form!! Although I do think sometimes the moderators take things a bit to far, like when they made me take off my avatar picture of the girl bouncing her jugs. I mean she had a shirt on, come on guys. Like razer said, if you have a question the guys on dootalk will usually get you a answer.
... You won't neccesarily need an 800 if you are coming off of an F7, the 600 Etec is an awesome motor, top end it obviously won't be the F7, but off the line it will. My buddy and I raced his 03 F7 and my 10 Etec and I killed him off the line but then he slowly passed me. The throttle response on the Etec is so crisp and strong compared to the F7, I dont think you would be dissapointed at all. And the Xp Chassis is flat out amazing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You know I look at it this way alot of peeps add all kinds of crap to a brand new car.Is it needed prob not
but its fun to make it your own.Some guys add all that stuff just so they can look like they ride hard
when the sled is sittin at the bar.I like sled wraps they dont do a darn thing other than I enjoy a sharp
lookin sled.Buy one and enjoy it any sled of any brand can and will have issues.Buy the way
I rode a 05 7 snopro for a year and that thing was a lumber wagon You will enjoy any xp with any susp
over that.I would rec an x pack for the clickers just for the adjustability.It comes down to how you ride
and you know that best you dont buy a ranger if you tow every day with it.
I will also say Dootalk
is a big reason I ride skidoo Im on arcticchat hcsledder and here and you will always get help on this sight.
Lots of good info just a small amount of bs to filter through.Good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thank you all for your input. About the 800, If I understand they are all carbed from 08-10? So it is best to richen pilot 1 size and needle 1 notch? I am used to usually leaning out AC or Pol. sleds from factory. I am looking at purchacing this fall, seen some good deals lately on all brands. Its almost a shame the depreshiation they take (all brands).
If I understand correct, the 500 sled is really 600cc liquid cooled, and the 550 is an air cooled 550cc , and the 600 is the more powerfull 600cc?

·
Registered
321 Posts
You ride in Ny dont forget ethanol I dont like to lean anything out anymore.Ride and check your plugs
it goes a long way.No sled is the same.The 500ss is the old rotax 600 yes 550 fan and I think your talking about the 600 etech and they make good power.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
yes, all the 08-10 doo 800's are carbed with dpm (leans-richens carb as needed) alot of guys fatten them up to make em safer, maybe not a bad idea, but I haven't touched mine in 3500 miles, still runs a strong as it did when new, but I only run premium fuel which is ethanol free (so far), the only thing I have to watch closely is the c-c on the clutches (motor mount are a bit soft), fairly easy to maintain, I wouldn't say I'm hard on a sled very often, but I changed my original belt at 2500 miles and it was still good.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
well i have never riddin a ac but i did come off the old f2000 chasis of skidoo whitch is similar to ac's f7 sno pro and the rev xp platform was hands down light years better everything from handling to the suspension to the motor (had a mach z with a modd'ed 809 i have the carb'ed 800r now) the motor power is incredable gas and oil was much better than the 809 this thing is nimble and light i was doing things on this sled that i would have never done on my mach z the mach i never felt like i had control of the mach but my bc x is a completely different story the rider forward position is very nice it feels comforable and made me feel like i had complete control of the sled at all times the 2010 models have the improved steering too (easyer to turn) were in tug hill do you ride?

·
The 02 REVOLUTION
3,892 Posts
Get no less then an X package if you're into riding hard on rough trails or like to get air often.

Maybe look at an RS package too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I recently purchaced a camp on Little John drive (Redfield). I am not big at catching air time, but I do ride trails aggresive and trails can be bumpy/rough threw the Tug Hill area.

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Buy a left over 2010 800r X or the new 800 Etec.

Leave the darn thing alone, do not clutch or jet or do anything and RIDE it. Forget all the crap you read here as most of it is just that.
If it's all crap, care to explain all the 800R burn down threads??????

How bout the 800R burn down polls with a significant amount of owners having engines go down????

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,820 Posts
If it's all crap, care to explain all the 800R burn down threads??????

How bout the 800R burn down polls with a significant amount of owners having engines go down????
Internet hype / crap. I ride a TON of mileage in a season have yet to experience an 800 series failier. Shimming needles = moron's kills fuel mileage. If such a widespread epidemic it would be a recall.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Internet hype / crap. I ride a TON of mileage in a season have yet to experience an 800 series failier. Shimming needles = moron's kills fuel mileage. If such a widespread epidemic it would be a recall.
So you are saying that the 800R does not need a bit more fuel in the mid range?

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,820 Posts
So you are saying that the 800R does not need a bit more fuel in the mid range?
I sure as hell disagree with anyone that says it does. I have run a bondi airbox on every 800r I have owned 08/09/10 which "supposeidly" leans the mixture further and have yet to have a problem. I average 4k a season AND ride northern ontario at -40*C sometimes when we have to with no problems. Nuff Said.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I sure as hell disagree with anyone that says it does. I have run a bondi airbox on every 800r I have owned 08/09/10 which "supposeidly" leans the mixture further and have yet to have a problem. I average 4k a season AND ride northern ontario at -40*C sometimes when we have to with no problems. Nuff Said.
Okay I guess we disagree. My 2009 800R would not go down a rail road grade without setting off the check engine light and knock sensor. They tried recalibrating the sensor, they did all the updates etc. The only thing that stopped this from happening was to shim the needles. No pilot change just shim the needles. I only run 93 premium in my sled (mostly from the same station) so this was not a fuel issue. It was a lean midrange issue. It still runs like a raped ape and gets 14mpg on trail and 13mpg when hammering off trail.

Each sled is different but this is what mine required to run like it should of from the factory.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts