Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98' MXZ 500 I am looking at buying. The sled has 1300 miles and I think I can get it for $1700 as this guy can't ride it any more. The sled is very clean and owner has always fogged it in the winter....etc. Not sure yet about fluid changes. Also..not sure if that price is reasonable or not.....anyways...

Does anyone know what the HP is and or top speed would be on this sled? Also, what is the suspension travel front/rear? Or is there a place I can look this up for myself?

Is this more of a trail sled or will it work out decent for ditchbanging? My buddy told me it only has 7" travel ni the front vs. his 99 Indy 500 with 9"......so I don't know if that will make a difference. I am basically wondering how it would compare to my buddies Indy 500. I have riden that and it works for me.....so if this is close or a little better performing I think I will buy it. Will the suspension take ditch banging and such ok?

Never riden a Doo before, but is there any thing specific I need to check out before buying. (Like Polaris some of the welds can break on the front torque arm.)

Any info would be great.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have this sled!

My owsome!

Great deal to me! Mine was 2700 with more miles than that!

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MXZBOY500 said:
I have this sled!

My owsome!

Great deal to me! Mine was 2700 with more miles than that!
[snapback]286121[/snapback]​
Nice looking sled!!

You know what kind of speeds it will hit? Not that I really care but if it does 90-95 I would be happier. You know the HP off hand? Can it take a litle beating? Mainly riding ditches...... Also mostly ride lakes when ice fishing.....and some trail riding.

Shocks are rebuildable...yes?

Thanks

·
Good at wrecking stuff.
5,634 Posts
Great sled, very reliable. Might do 90mph or so in perfect conditions. Shocks are not rebuildable but are HPGs and are good shocks as long as they're not blown out. The AD Boivin ETS kit will make is handle bumps 500% better!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
98proline said:
Does that buddy of your's with the 99 indy also have a place up near garrison?
[snapback]286226[/snapback]​
Yes sir....

Is your name Rick by chance?

·
Registered
6 Posts
"edit for bad language". You're on to me. It sounds to me like the only problems with that sled is darting and jumpy rear suspensions. It sounds like most owners have had to doo a lot of screwing around with them to get them smooth.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
98proline said:
Also, I thought that the 98' 500 had hpg rebuildables as stock. correct me if I'm wrong.
[snapback]286252[/snapback]​
only 440 X racers had take apart HPG shocks.

·
Good at wrecking stuff.
5,634 Posts
SUMMIT 700 said:
That sled is rated at 97 horsepower. I had one, very reliable sled!

Cory
[snapback]286166[/snapback]​
97hp out of a rotary 500, huh? Me thinkst you're looking at the specs for a '98 583.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts