Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
PS If you get that sled I can send you the manual. PM your email.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Ty ur talking about machines that are 25 yrs old.I'm not sure the direction u are headed or how much $$ u have to work with ,I wouldn't want to do much more than putt around the yard with either of these sleds.The Z was quick ,not sure why ur worried about how fast they are.The 96 F3 I believe had the C6 rear suspension (?) that was heavy and awful . Tell us what you are looking for , what type riding,budget ect people here will do there best to point u in a good direction ,we have had all those machines.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Im looking for a older skidoo that I can ride in the ditch’s and trails but I want to go fast when I want to go fast. Right now I drive my dads 95 skidoo formula z 583 so that’s why I’m not to worried about the older suspension and trying to buy my first snowmobile

Im 15 years old buying and flipping lawn mowers so im not to afraid of wrenching on my snowmobile, I know lawn mowers and snowmobiles are two different things but that’s why I’m trying to learn and read all these forms

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I would look for something else besides that F3 if you're looking to own your first sled.
Sure they were legendary in their day, but unless you are specifically after a classic triple muscle sled, you are bound to learn a lot with your wallet.
In the year 2021, there really isn't much you can buy for that 96 F3 from Ski Doo anymore. So you are down to used market and aftermarket when it comes to parts. When the snow is flying and you have a problem, nothing comes quickly.

The $400 you save not buying that sled will be money well spent on something else.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
There’s this nice looking 1996 skidoo formula z 583 runs everything works. I know that the 583 is a good engine has reverse. He wants $900 for it but I want to know if it’s fast, because I got to beat my buddy’s 1999 Polaris Xc 700

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I can appreciate trying to be fast on a hamburger and fries budget. You'll have to consider what that is worth to you, versus being able to buy a sled you can be working to get ready for the season so you can RIDE when there is snow. If you continue to wait, the used sled prices will continue to rise and the demand for them increases as you get closer to snow.

I can say that non-VES XC 700's were strong runners and made in the 115-120HP range when new. The 583 made 105(?). Both machines are plenty quick for a beginner; but you should probably start with something similar in displacement or larger if beating your buddy is the most important thing in your search.

Consider that many times the race outcome is decided in the first 5 feet because of traction. It's the whole package that matters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
what about a 1997 skidoo mxz 670 everything works rebuilt 200 miles ago the hood was cracked and looks like zip tied back to gather he wants $1200

·
SnomoSnob
2,587 Posts
Hey,
I'd go with the 670 so far. A little high on $$ just given the age. 670 is a good engine, powerful, fast, easy to work on. The F3 and 583 are in the F-Chassis Plastic and the 670 is in S-Chassis Plastic. They are essentially the same chassis but having both in the past I can say the S-Chassis is "Sportier" feeling ( think tighter trails, ditches, etc ) the F-Chassis is better ( IMHO ) for long flat trails and racing on lakes, etc....
Hope this helps
GutZ

Reactions: Ty Peterson

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I'd spend a little more and go a little newer. Just my opinion. But anything 15-20 years could use a lot of work, no doubt. Carbs gum up, bearings rust, rubber rots, etc. Most owners are clueless when it comes to maintenance. Not anyone on Dootalk of course, but there are others out there.

·
Registered
2018 MXZX 850 / 2011 MXZX 800 etec
1,528 Posts
I had a 97, MXZ 670 it was a nice sled but in the tight trails my bro's 583 MXZ was more fun. It had much better response and spooled up quicker although once on the lake the 670 would walk the 583. Now my 01, MXZ 700 was the best of both of them. The ZX chassis was a huge improvement over the S2000 chassis and the 700 was awesome.That chassis and motor combo was so fun I bypassed the Rev chassis went to the XP.

As for looks one of my faves is the 1995 Formula Z. Loved the red windshield.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
R those 670's or 780's? Either way, that's a deal if they are in good shape. Where are they?

·
Registered
768 Posts
You're always going to get tons of great advice on this site. I will throw in my two cents.

As already stated, speed is not just about power. The Pirelli tire saying is "Power is nothing without control". Traction, weight transfer, suspension and clutching has as much to do with it as HP.

Finally, keeping up with your buddy on the tight twisties has almost nothing to do with speed, but way more to do with skill. Reading a trail, picking a line, braking, accelerating, leaning, steering, counter-steering, identifying the apex of a turn, maintaining rpm to keep in the engine's power band....

All of these skills take seat time to learn, not balls.

I wish you good luck and safe travels with the sport we all love.

·
SnomoSnob
2,587 Posts
Reactions: Ty Peterson
21 - 40 of 45 Posts