Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to look at a skidoo formula III 600 this weekend and was wondering if there’s anything I should look for. Is this a good engine, is it fast, top speed, mods I can do, etc. In the ad it says he put new fuel lines in, brake lines and a new track last season. It doesn’t run he says it ran this winter but this spring he couldn’t get it to he said needs a good carb clean, he sent me a video of when it ran this winter. He wants $400

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had one for 5 years since new. Not one issue at all. Triples sounds great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
851 Posts
PTO side crank bearings were known to fail. A lot of them had a hole drilled in the case and the inner seal removed to lube the bearing from the injection oil. This was a precursor to the isoflex set up. I think originally they used Dow Molycote 111 grease. Correct me if I’m wrong guys but that’s what I recall.

At $400 you really can’t go wrong but keep in mind a new crank will set you back about $500. If it’s caught in time you can just put new bearings on the PTO and mag ends and go on but only if you’re lucky.

These were runners in their day. Solid 120 hp. Triple power so it was fat and torquey. I had one new back in the day. It would get you to 115mph on a good day. Quicker than snot and carried skis past 70 easily. Awesome blast to ride. If the ground was smooth. I used to just go do pulls down the bean fields all day long. It was a trip to feel that pull and hear that Rotax triple sing it’s song. Had a 700 too and it was beast. Pulled like a freight train. These new twins just don’t have the balls those triples had.

Clean runners too. We used to start them by flipping the clutch just for kicks. They would start by just flipping one cylinder over compression.

Another thing too. The carb float needle valves would leak and fill the case with fuel if a guy didn’t shut the fuel valve. Had one fill the center chamber and when I fired it it destroyed the center cylinder piston and rod in about 1/2 second. That’s why I know the crank cost $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
21,022 Posts
If you have a compression tester, take it with you.

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
21,022 Posts
You know at $500 you could part it out and get that back, but I can’t help but think you should walk away. I can send you a video of my sled running great, right before it blew up.

Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I'd buy it and part it, make your money back on the track alone provided its new like stated.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
21,022 Posts
Do you think I should not look at formula III at all or just not this one
I’m just saying this one. It’s not running. There’s a million reasons why this could be. Some cost $$$ to fix.

Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There’s a pic of under the hood and was wondering why the hose might be missing or was a hose supposed to there

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Triples are a fun Sled and can be fast but anything this old is going to require some maintenance. The older Ski-Doo triples up to including 97 had the older simpler ignition system. Could be a bad stator. Could be a carb issue too assuming it pulls over.

To find out if bearings are bad, pull the plugs out and roll the motor with the clutch and see how it feels.

Personally unless you are good at wrenching, I'd say find something else unless you are really set on getting a triple and willing to work and learn.

Yes you can buy it and part out but the 600 triple parts don't bring the money like the 700 or 800 triples.

Reactions: Ty Peterson

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
If ur buying this to ride trails keep looking ,they where fun in there day (had2) but not a good handleing machine.I would look toward a zx or rev twin.Now if u are looking for a lake racer this would be fun !!

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Bring a compression tester. If it tests good, and you want a triple, buy it. No doubt it will need some TLC.

As mentioned, the ignition system on the 96 is simple. The CDI/ignition box is on the oil tank mount bracket.

No hose on that coolant bottle nipple. Should be just 2 main hoses. 1 off the top/front of the bottle and 1 off the bottom of the bottle. The 1 off the bottom goes to a T.

Lots of smart triple guys on the forum here... Mach Z / Mach 1 / Formula III Triples

1 - 20 of 45 Posts