Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Check carefully for bent front cross member (flying nun) (search for detail).

Check carefully for worn/tired motor. Check compression...should be 150 new for HC heads and 135 or so with LC heads. Start the sled up and listen for piston slap. The motor should sound tight with no rattles or metallic sounds. A rebuild is nearly $300 for parts and that is without cylinders. If the sled needs new linings in the cylinders you should double that.

Check track lugs...'03 tracks were made of cheese, scotch tape and chewing gum. As a result the lugs fall off.

Check the secondary for broken or worn parts. If you can't pull it apart, ride it and see if the sled makes and holds 8500 RPM.

Look at the tunnel, rear skid and front end where the shocks/skid frame bolts to aluminum and check for wobbled out holes, kinked aluminum, etc.

Check behind the exhaust can for kinked aluminum. These are signs the sled has been hit hard and may not be straight.

Start the sled and have someone engage and spin the track slowly. Watch if the track runs side to side. If it does, it could mean the frame is bent where the drive shaft bolts through.

Check behind the secondary for dented and/or bashed in metal.

This should get you started.

·
Registered
683 Posts
will74 said:
I am looking at a 03 440. I was wondering if there were any issues or any things I should look for when buying this particular model.

Appreciate any input.
[snapback]703089[/snapback]​
Check the front heat exchanger and top of tunnel for excessive stud damage.

Check pipe cover for obvious signs (dents) of body part/frame member impact due to front end accident.

Check a-arms and tie rods for dents/bends and that they are 440 original chromemoly (not sure how to check the lower a-arms but the top should have the webbing at the "U").

Like Tom said - check the frame behind the can - should be completely straight - no curve or bend (03's were much weaker here). That's one of the first frame improvements I would make to an 03 - replace the brace at that spot with the 04 up one.

Check bars and post for straightness (stuff adds up).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.