Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
:ROFLMAO: So, you're 15 and you've ditched the triple idea and now want an old twin? Funny.

I get it. You're young and chasing the next best thing and money is an issue. We've all been there.

You're also looking for something to keep up to your buddies 700. If you haven't ridden sleds before that may get you killed but we all make our own choices.

My suggestion would be to go all in on a 98-99 MXZ 670 HO. Watch FB Market Place; CL and Snowmobile Trader twice a day...or more. Good deals go fast and you'll need to be on top of any listing.

As far as old iron goes, the MXZ was light and nimble and the 670HO was super strong and the 98-99 will give you a suspension that handles well. You'll give your buddy a run more often than not.

I'm on the for sale sites often. If I see something I'll post it here.

Good luck.

PS Where are you at in MN?

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
$1500 sounds steep to me unless it is super clean with low miles...under 5k. If it's reasonably sound $1100 would be fair.

$1000 for that F3 is a fair price if it's running well and clean. However, it looks like a 98 to me so you might expect a cdi failure and pto bearing failure unless the wiring harness has been moved and the oil mod has been done.

This is what a 99 F3 looks like.

PS Looks like your thread was moved to the "Want to Buy" forum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The mxz 670 the guy said he could do $1300 for the sled and a helmet is that good, it has about 4000 miles on it. He said he would be $1200 but he just bought the 3 year trail pass

That’s his description

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Here is where you learn from experience. I can't tell you with certainty it's a fair deal without pulling it apart and riding it. Every used sled purchase has a measure of risk. With experience the risk becomes less.

I do know you can find help here from some really smart guys.

Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I told him I’m going to hold out and see if a better deal comes up and he said he would do $1200 just to get it out of his garage. Do you think I should go look at for that

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
As David says, any purchase will involve a risk. It could be the sled you talk about years from now saying you drove it for years and it was bulletproof or could be the sled that blows up your first ride. There is no way for any of us to say for sure. The 670s are good but I have seen a lot blown up as well, and when they go it usually costs a lot to fix. Rotary valve engines have a bit more going on and damage often extends to that area. I have seen engines ‘just need a piston” but unknowingly have a stripped rotary valve gear that requires stripping the whole motor down.

I am wondering if you are not better to look for something like a little bit newer MXZ 500-600 or Formula Deluxe etc. Those are good motors ( not to say the 670 is not), likely better on fuel and a bit more modern. One thing you would find if you ride with guys with newer sleds is that a 670 will take way more gas. I see that when I take my XC 700 once in a while, it takes substantially more than modern sleds, which can sometimes make you the odd man out who is the only one low on gas etc.

I would go early 2000 ZX chassis or get on an early REV - something like a 500 SS is a great sled. As far as CCs ,don’t get caught up in that too much, I used to beat my nephews 670 Formula Z pretty easily with my 600 Etec, and gas mileage was not even in the same ball park.

That being said, the MXZ at $1200 could be a fine deal, depends what else is out there in your area in that price range. Nothing wrong with that sled.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
The 95/96 mach 1 670’s where an awesome sled made right around 120hp they had short carb boots with 44mm carbs instead of the 40’s the other 670’s had. The also ran a different rotary valve, and where twin pipes. The M1 would easily hang with a stock 700 ALL DAY. The 99 670ho made same HP but was a single pipe and had a different ignition system that was a one off year so if the mpem fails yaaaaaa good luck finding one. $1200 is a good price for a clean 99 670ho. That 98 F3 700 made same hp as the 670ho or M1 they where triple carbed and a single pipe. The ck3 chassis was slightly more trail friendly then the F but not to par as the S of the 99 670ho. Just like that 99ho being a one off year that 98 F3 700 was a one off too and finding a cdi for that will be like finding gold in your back yard. I know this from personal experience, I looked for one for months and payed out my arse for it.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
That M1 looks well taken care of. If it's actually in great shape 18 is not unreasonable. $1500 would be a deal. Got any pictures under the hood? Engine history?

·
SnomoSnob
2,618 Posts
Looks Good, C7 Rear ( Hooks Up Straight Line ), 44mm Carbs and Twin Pipes ( 7-8 MPG ), Low Travel in Front.
Nice, just make sure it is what You are looking to do.
GutZ

1 - 19 of 19 Posts