Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked the new 2017 Models and all the MXZ sleds except the entry level Sport now have a 129 inch track as opposed to previous models 120 inch. The blizzard last year was first MXZ to go with a longer track and looks like they expanded it to several other sleds....also offer an 850 Etec now. I always liked my 120 track.....but I guess longer track is the future. Wouldn't be surprised to see them eliminate the 120 all together down the road.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Its pretty sad that the best cornering sleds (120") are being removed from the line up. The longer the sled the larger the radius of the turn. Longer isn't better in the tight twisties.

At a shack last week. about 20 sled there ... 15 doos there, All MXZ's .... X's TNT's Andrenalines .... Not 1 longer than 121 not 1 rider under 50 most in their sixties.

For the woods and trails 120/121 is where it's at.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Its pretty sad that the best cornering sleds (120") are being removed from the line up. The longer the sled the larger the radius of the turn. Longer isn't better in the tight twisties.

At a shack last week. about 20 sled there ... 15 doos there, All MXZ's .... X's TNT's Andrenalines .... Not 1 longer than 121 not 1 rider under 50 most in their sixties.

I don't think riders at 60+ are the future of the sport.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree.....the 120 tracks seem to corner better and are better in twisties. I rode a two up rental a few years ago.....and the longer track is definitely noticeable and did not carve as well into turns. They claim the longer track absorbs the bumps on ungroomed trail better,, ,but who knows? Guess it is what it is.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Is this from experience or just your guess? If they don't corner as well, why would snocross have gone to longer tracks? The benefits of a longer track far outweigh the assumed short comings.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think when a sled has a proven feature that is not only popular, but hits the mark with handling, style, and functionality.....they should leave it alone. I think all too often to stay competitive with other brands....there is the tendency to fix what isn't broken so to speak.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am not an engineer.....but my experience has been that the shorter track sleds do corner and handle better in turns....however I have maybe not had enough experiences riding a longer track sled to say for sure that is the case?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Part of snocross is about marketing of sleds too I believe.
Not when it comes to tracks. Longer tracks get better traction for acc. and dec., they take the bumps better, and they float better. People just assume since it's longer it's not going to turn as well, but I know I don't miss my 120" track and I'm 95% trail rider.

Every single person in my group that has bought a newer sled in the last several years has all gone to renegades. Never again will I own a short track. Maybe the 129" is a good compromise, but I don't know if I'll get to ever try one since we only have gades.

·
Registered
295 Posts
One of the concerns that gets overlooked is that when the majority of the trail sleds were 120", the ruts were created from being repetitively ridden over by all of the 120" tracks. If all of the tracks are 129" or 137", then the rut distances will become more bias toward these track lengths and the longer tracks will no longer be bridging bumps...

They do however, provide better acceleration, break, and flotation... so there's those benefits. The cornering between a 120" and 137" is noticeable but with a good rider, adapting is not difficult.

Getting into these discussions, I am reminded how well the industry does at marketing. We sit here and debate of small pros and cons of the newest track and in the end, many people will buy the new ones for the added benefits that we discuss... Jokes on us though, because when I think about my diverse riding group (2012 yamaha apex, 2012 yamaha phazer, 2010 skidoo 800etc back country, 2015 gade adrenline 900 ace, 2015 gade sport 600 cab, 2004 mxz-x 600 sdi, 2015 arctic cat pantera 1100) we all have so many differences in between sleds... but we all have a great day riding, we trade off who leads and who tails, we all have new enough machines that no one comes home with back pain or fatigue, and we all go out and doo it again the next day. If I traded my 137" gade for a 129" mxz-x for better cornering, my day on the trails would change a negligible amount...

Reactions: yeller

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have ridden half of this season on a 120" and half on a 129". In my opinion there is not a noticeable difference in cornering. Maybe the RAS 2 has something to do with that. Maybe not. I did however notice the difference in the small stutter bumps. I did not feel them at all with the 129".

·
Registered
576 Posts
Huge advantages with longer tracks. Too numerous to list. Days of 120 are long gone, don't let the door hit you in the ...... on your way out. That was the 90s. I'm looking for 146 to be the new standard for renegades and 129-137 are going to be the short tracks.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts