Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a long track elan because I can't find an original. I was originally going to cut the frame right in half and just extend it but my cousin did that to his and I wanted to be different, plus I kinda wanted it to look close to original as possible. So instead I built a rack off the back to extend it. One question me and my family have been asking ourselves is how to gear it. The old elans kinda just putted along not really spinning the track to much and went well for the time. But the modern sleds are all about rpms. I have enough motor on it to turn the track with bigger gears but idk if that's a good thing or bad......

·
True happiness is never trying a sled better than
14,562 Posts
I think you just need to try different set-ups to see what works for the riding you do.Check out powermodz on youtube.He's a DT'er and made an awesome elan.http://www.youtube.com/user/lshobie

·
Mr Top Whore
103,150 Posts
X2 on checking out the PowerModz, Louis built a pretty wild looking Elan. It might be more extreme than you want to go, but worth checking out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's an awesome elan. Mine is not quite that extreme. I kept the the boggie wheels instead of going to the slide suspension, hence the reason I might want to gear it low and slow because my tunnel does not sit a foot and a half out of the snow, so spinning the track faster would sink the sled to the frame. But i guess il just have to experiment.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yeah that's an awesome elan. Mine is not quite that extreme. I kept the the boggie wheels instead of going to the slide suspension, hence the reason I might want to gear it low and slow because my tunnel does not sit a foot and a half out of the snow, so spinning the track faster would sink the sled to the frame. But i guess il just have to experiment.
My Long track Elan with bogies has original gearing, no problems.

http://s221.photobucket.com/user/westadas/media/DSC00188.jpg.html]
DSC00188.jpg
[/URL]

backspring.jpg

finishjob.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh nice. I like your design with the rear sprockets, and your back rack is nice too. What's the rear drive attached with I can't quite figure out how that works?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are a few pics of my project. It's not done but it's coming along. I lowered the rear drive about an inch and a half to get the tunnel out of the snow a bit more. I hope the pics uploaded, my first time posting pictures on here.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Nice fab job! looks like that will work. I bought my Elan with the LT, seen alot of my type of LT mod here in Norway, mabey some kind of mod they did at the dealers here. They don't use the link plate, on the rear adjuster they put a square tube and inside the tube they stack flat springs, I think they are the same what is used on the rear suspension for beatles. Just chopped them to length. Rear sprocket is attached on that rear plate, The springs go in a tube and the inside of the plate hi is a bearing cup that the rear axel can attach to. the rear of the track floats on the flat springs. Had 2 up and pulled a load, worked ok for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I see what I'm looking at now. Them are flat pieces of steel stacked on top of each other with square stock tubing on each end. Makes sense now. I couldn't tell what that was made of. Seems like a good design to me. I like it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've watched this video before. It's an awesome elan. If I had it my way I would have a 277 in mine too. But my wife thinks I spend to much money on my projects already. Lol maybe someday.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its that time of year and I'm workin on one of my project elans. I have one long track in running condition. Its the white on in my profile with a stock 250 single and the alpine fish tail track. It just had the back 6 or 8 inches cut off and extended back with a piece of sheet metal that overlaps a few inches on either side. I can try and take some better pictures if you're interested. The one I'm building will be two different tunnels welded and braced together. One had bad rust behind the second bogey mount and the other was crushed in front of the second bogie mount so the two halves lapped and welded together with a little angle iron for added support will do the trick. Not sure what it'll end up with as a powerplant since I have multiple 250 singles, a 320 single and just picked up a 277 single that needs a piston. I also just picked up a 73 elan twin and a 74 ss 294 twin with slides. I bough them for the hoods and other misc parts but now that they're home they are almost too nice to part out. Maybe I'll find someone who wants a super clean resto beginner or runner after I spend a couple hours replacing fuel lines and maybe a tilly rebuild. If you can get ahold of TundraManDan he has a couple different plans for long tracks. If not I have them and can probably get em to ya. One thing to contemplate is if you are going to lower the other bogey mounts. I'll probably end up lowering the back by 4.5 in and progressive up to the front stock mount. Plus put a spacer on the leaves if I go that high.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I did lower my boggies because I lowered my rear drive to get the tunnel out if the snow a little so I had to lower the boggies. I just finished that part today. I will post more pics of the progress soon. Who is the tundramandan?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rip,

EuroBill's setup was called the Elan F in Europe as a dealer add on kit. His particular configuration was available for '78, '79 and '80 but as it was available as a kit, earlier machines could be retro-fitted (Bill's is a '76, I think).

Here are photos from the '78 and '79 brochures in Sweden:

elan78F_zps0d043b4e.jpg

elan79F2_zps29b5004e.jpg

In 1981, a different kit was made available that improved the ride from the leaf-sprung '78/'79 version. The later 'F' kit was available until at least '83 but I don't know when production officially stopped.

Here is a photo of the later kit and some brochure photos from '81-'83:

elan81f_rl__zps899e778d.jpg

elan81F2_zps10a65cb6.jpg

elan82_zps04341961.jpg

elan83_zps41b84ccd.jpg

These kits were completely bolt on, something I hope to reproduce. My current Elan is fairly rare ('72 292 SS) so I'd prefer to be able to return it to original configuration fairly easily.

I can claim credit for none of this info, it's all from the following site. It was originally produced by a guy from Sweden but has been saved and re-published online by Goose at Reproduction Vintage Parts.

http://www.reproductionvintageparts.com/elan/

Reactions: eurobill

·
Registered
658 Posts
nice work guyz !!! love these old elans sadly only just started the interest and ive passed over many many 50$ elans because i thought theywere sh*t now im kiking myself in the A$$!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My little fabrication project is to build an early F style bolt on to fit to my 292 SS and a later version to fit to a Moto-Ski Spirit. I've also got the aluminum slide setup out of a Citation that I hope to fit to a 300 SS.

My eldest daughter is only 2 at the moment but loves anything that goes 'vrooooom' and climbs on my '80 Liquifire every time she comes out to the workshop with me to feed the cats. Great to have a kid who loves the outdoors and going for a 'wyyde' with Daddy.

Eventually, the Spirit will be her beginner sled. I'll put it back to a standard track for her as she'll struggle to steer a long track.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Is there still such a thing as a source for long tracks to use when extending a 114" Elan? I presume people are using the 139" tracks with bogies from 71 to 87 Alpines? No suppliers list these tracks any more.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
I think most people are using the Tundra tracks .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts