Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks.

I normally trailer the SWT because we carry another machine or fuel or equipment but am wondering if anyone loads theirs in the back of a truck. I have a Ford F250 current model with a 6.75' box and would like to have the option to not take the trailer for short hauls on tight roads--even long hauls when only one sled is needed. I am bit concerned about bending the tailgate or getting it in the back and finding out that it is a dangerous load.

Does anyone do this on a regular basis? I don't mind hauling the enclosed trailer but it does have a significant impact on fuel consumption and sometimes I have to ditch the trailer at a parking lot to get into where I am going.

If you do this, what is your success rate with bank loading? or do you use a ramp?

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Ours was a wt but loaded with options and cargo, we loaded it all the tims in the back of my gmc 2500hd, tailgate is still brand new but its an 8’ bed

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
A lot of people around here load I or 2 sleds on a rack above the roof line.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you're going to load like this with any regularity the best thing you can do is build a loading ramp system for the box of your truck. Either with the tailgate on and down all the time of with the tailgate off. I built mine with 3/4" plywood and 2x6 treated for the deck. The ramp was built with 2x4 treated and done in a ladder style. For ski runner material I cut up plastic box liner for both the ramp and the deck. I used strap hinges with the pins removed between the halves to secure the ramp to the deck when loading.
Once the sled is on the deck in the box of the truck you unpin the ramp and slide it in underneath.

This was relatively cheap to build and worked wonderfully for the years I used it. I sold this ramp system when I bought a different truck and now if I was to load into a truck again I would just spend 1000$ and get a ramp from DGRP. (Google DGRP ramps) neat design and it works in a variety of trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
I used a folding aluminum ramp (with some bedliner wired to it on the ski paths) to load my wt into my 1/2 ton 6'6" bed all last winter before I got my trailer.

Sticks pretty far out the back but never a problem.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Your F-250 will have zero trouble hauling an SWT.

As for loading, that kind of depends on your local riding area and the time of year. Around here, this time of the year I wouldn't bother with ramps, as I know I'd find a snow bank somewhere, but early in the season I do use ramps to load up. I normally just back it off without ramps, though that kind of bit me once this season when my ski went under the tailgate protector.

As Takman suggested, if you're doing it on a regular basis, a set of ramps that can slide under a deck when the sled is in the truck is a great idea.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have a Dodge 2500 with a sled deck, my SWT and Summit live up there from October-June, along with probably 300# of tools and chains and other junk in the bed itself, no issues.

I do have airbags, which are nice to put some pressure into, but not mandatory. One Skandic in the bed will be FINE. I've probably got 30k miles with the Skandic +1 up there, 60k miles with the deck (one of my previous sleds was not known to be light - rt1000).

I doubt the tailgate will bend, I know the truck won't care.

Iain

truck.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I used to do this a lot with short track with 8 bed. I have ramps but often would use banks. I built a snow ramp with atv and plow.

When I put sxs in 6.5 bed 1500, I put 2x10s under tires to spread weight off gate. Buthe I don't think this would be issue with sled.

With gate down you will be at 8 feet so going to have a bit of over hang.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I load my wide track expedition on my 8' 2017 F350 all the time.

Get a longer ramp.

I tried using my old 3 panel Fulton ramp (short ramp) the first time on level ground and it was scary. The new Fords are pretty tall. My skis were above the box rails as I drove up and the sled slammed down pretty hard into the bed of the truck as it cleared the top of the ramp. I did some research and bought a Caliber ramp pro (Royal Distributing sells them but a lot of sled dealers will have them) and the loading angle was a lot shallower. I now just crawl the sled up the ramp with no drama. The ramp has tracks for your skegs and have traction "nibs" on them that you can walk up in your boots without fearing you will slip. Atv friendly as well.

It's a hinged three panel ramp with the widest panel being the middle. On my wide track you can slip the ramp up tight to the sled around the track. (on with Fulton ramp all three panels were the same width so you had to fight with it to slip it under the track) Not sure if it would be wide enough to do the same on a SWT.

I used to take my tailgate off as I was worried that the aluminum tailgate wouldn't stand up. It's a pain in the winter and the damn thing is pretty heavy with the tailgate step in there.

I bought tailgate loading supports from DG manufacturing and now just leave the tailgate on the truck and don't worry about it. So far I just leave the tailgate supports on when I travel but when I asked the manufacturer for their advice on that they said they recommended removing them while running.

My buddy has a F150 (steel body) pick-up and he bent his tailgate after repeated loads with his Polaris wide track.

https://www.dgmtailgatesupport.com/product/full-size-ex-ford-f250-f350/

·
Registered
223 Posts
As others have said, get a good ramp. I wrecked the tailgate on my Silverado 2500hd loading and unloading my Skandic off banks. It puts tremendous pressure on your tailgate unless the banks are at the perfect height and slope.

·
Registered
685 Posts
That's very true. I know this is not about decks, I only mentioned mine from a weight standpoint - one XU should not bother a 3/4 ton - but yeah, ramps can be spooky.

I've seen a neat looking ramp here, RevArc, I think, for putting them into truck beds. It has straps to the truck so it does not get spit out by the track, and a clever chunk that folds out on the ground, so the track is grabbing the ramp as it is trying to push the skis up.

https://www.bosskibuilt.com/2018-Sled-Ramp

That. Smart. My deck ramp does not have that, so I have to hit the ramp with enough speed to get the skis far enough up the ramp to let the track grab the ramp itself.

It is not that hard, I've never gone over the top, I've not fallen off, but it is spooky, and if the lot is icy, it is even harder.

Then, if I get hurt, and I have to get someone else to load the sled..... Ugh.

I should make a "ladder."

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
It can be a wild ride going up the ramps. You need to go fast enough to get up the ramp, and be able to stop.
That's why I have a tiny garden trailer I converted into a snomo trailer.............got pics if anyone cares.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
When my sled lived with me, I liked hauling it in the truck. Lots weight for traction, and nothing behind me. I realize I am wuss, and lots of guys pull trailers.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I bought a tri-fold aluminum ramp, put skid glides on the outer sections, a piece of 1/2" plywood on the center section and then put track grips on the plywood. My Expy sport can putt right up the ramp. No need to use Evil Kenevil mode to load the sled. It does help if you can put the truck on a lower grade than the begining of the ramp to lessen the angle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts