Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

little spring info please

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  MXZEric 
#1 ·
ok i sold my 2012x 1200 and i am getting a 2015x 1200 so it will have r-motion now i go 260lbs before i am ready to ride. just wondering what spring #`s or where to search for info on them i do remember Ian at monster having a chart but i seem to have lost it as it was what i used for info to order my last sled springs. any big boys with r-motion change there springs and how did you like the change ?

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
270/271 are the heavy ones. Then there is also one in between.. Don't know those #s
I believe Ian has these springs 287/289.

I myself would ride the sled first & see how many times you bottom it out. I feel if I bottom out the suspension at least once a day them I'm using the full travel. If you almost never bottom, chances are you are only using 7 " of the 10 you have. Also if you do go with the quick adjust it alone gives you 40% more adjustment so that by itself might get you where you need to be. This R motion is very good at resisting bottoming out as the shock & spring travel are separate from each other.

#8 ·
i am 240 in jeans and t shirt i ride with my stock springs on 3 or 4 depending on conditions i bought the 270-271 springs and put them in so the wife can ride on the back. with the 270-271springs in and two of us i ride on full 5 but alone myself on #1 its to stiff felt like a pogo stick had to switch them back to stock springs which is not a hard job if you are fairly handy.

#10 ·
I believe Ian has these springs 287/289.

I myself would ride the sled first & see how many times you bottom it out. I feel if I bottom out the suspension at least once a day them I'm using the full travel. If you almost never bottom, chances are you are only using 7 " of the 10 you have. Also if you do go with the quick adjust it alone gives you 40% more adjustment so that by itself might get you where you need to be. This R motion is very good at resisting bottoming out as the shock & spring travel are separate from each other.
287/289 is correct. Based on feedback from Ian these are the ones I went with and I love them. Ian's post about them can be found in the link below.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/548079-new-torsion-spring-option-for-rm-skid/?hl=rmotion%20springs

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
i am 240 in jeans and t shirt i ride with my stock springs on 3 or 4 depending on conditions i bought the 270-271 springs and put them in so the wife can ride on the back. with the 270-271springs in and two of us i ride on full 5 but alone myself on #1 its to stiff felt like a pogo stick had to switch them back to stock springs which is not a hard job if you are fairly handy.
X2

With the 270/271s the sled will take the large g-outs at speed better but you will lose the plushness of the stock set-up on the small to medium sized stutter bumps at more moderate speeds. With the stock springs you have to slow down for the big stuff but on everything else you hardly feel a thing. I weigh around 240 and I've got 2,500 miles on the stock springs and 1K miles on the 270/271s. The best advice I can give you on the RM is to crank up the rear springs so you don't crash through the travel and set the shock soft so when you do run into it it's not harsh. The rear arm motion ratio on the RM is uber progressive so it doesn't have the tandem ride height of the shock and springs working together which is why you need to crank up the springs cuz those first few inches of travel you're riding pretty much on the springs only. The shock doesn't really get involved till much deeper into the travel and if it's set stiff it will almost feel like you're bottoming out when you run into it which is why I say set it on the soft side. I started with everything on full soft and went up from there for the best ride possible. I run the non QA springs on block position 3 and the rear shock 6 clicks in from full soft. About the worst thing you could do with the RM is to set the springs soft and the shock stiff, it will ride horrible.

Oh, and yes with the stock springs the sag will seem excessive but it just plain works. With the 270/271s the sag seems about right but you lose the plush ride of the stock set-up.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm about 250 and I still use my stock springs on my shorty rMotion, and I used set them between 4 and 5, with the rear shock set in the sport position. The rear skid performance was close, but I wanted a wider window in which to tune the stock springs. I contacted Ian at Monster Performance. and he recommended his torsion spring spacers, to which I've been very happy with. I now run in the 3-4 range and the spring rate is much more linear. However, you're gonna have to ride the sled to determine what's best for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.