Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought a pair of NOS cylinder sleeves for my 82 Alpine. Upon further investigation of the L.A. Sleeve catalog the ones I bought fit a l/c 640. They list 2 different sleeves for 2 different 640's. One says Alpine l/c 640 and other says just 640. Both are 76mm bore but the outside dia.of the sleeves are different. The l/c sleeve being 3.255" and other being 3.235". I have never heard of any other 640 and never a liquid cooled Alpine so I don't get it.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
The closest thing I can think of is the type 643, 617cc used in the 91/92 Mach 1 Skidoo's. It is a 76 mm bore.

Thats the problem sometimes with jobber parts and catalogues - they are just wrong. Hopefully you can return them if not maybe someone will need them. Not a real popular item though with several oversizes possible and used cylinders readily available but you never know!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I have seen twice now on ebay in the last 6-7 years a 640 Rotary Valve Case, Liquid Cooled, and had the Crank with it also, a lower end, listed as a Type 640, Tag was (76mm x 70mm) 635.3cc, and No it wasn't a Type 643 617(76mm x 68mm) 617.0cc or a Fan Cooled 635/640! I don't know the first years of the RV 521(72mm x 64mm), or the 580/580/582(76mm x 64mm), but the 617(76mm x 68mm) was I think, only made two years, like 91-92. The first 670(78mm x70mm) was 1992. So the one I saw, probably was made around 1992 when the 70mm Stroke was first available for those RV Engines. Somewhere on one of these 6-9 computers in the house, I probably have a photo.

Most part manuals don't list a 1992 670 either, or a 380HO, but they were made!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info rotaxflyer. I believe you are correct or on the right track at least. All my research is leading me to the same conclusion. I did get a response from LA Sleeve Company but all he said was both sleeves are for the old 640 rotax alpines and they were pretty much the same part just different diameters. I asked if he could dig a little deeper than that because all the 640 alpines were fan cooled and essential the same so it doesn't make sense that there would be two different diameters sleeves for them. I'm not expecting much but we'll see what he has to say.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Thanks for the info rotaxflyer. I believe you are correct or on the right track at least. All my research is leading me to the same conclusion. I did get a response from LA Sleeve Company but all he said was both sleeves are for the old 640 rotax alpines and they were pretty much the same part just different diameters. I asked if he could dig a little deeper than that because all the 640 alpines were fan cooled and essential the same so it doesn't make sense that there would be two different diameters sleeves for them. I'm not expecting much but we'll see what he has to say.
Ya, I wish I had bought it now, the guy wasn't asking much, but I had (2) 670's an (1) 617, and a couple 583's sitting around at the time and didn't need another engine sitting around. 1995+ 670 Type Case's have the Black Plate on Top over the Mag, and just (1) Pickup Slot, this one didn't have the Black Plate, and had Dual Pickup Slots, so could be a 92, 93, 94, when the 70mm RV Cranks were available. Since they were dropping the 617 also around 91-92, they probably had a bunch of 76mm Cylinders sitting around. Be interesting to see what Rod they used 125mm or 132mm!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.