Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a ride yesterday my sled starting going into limp mode, it would run rough and was limited to 4k rpm. Check engine light would come on. It did it 3 or 4 times, lasted a few minutes each time then ran fine. Earlier in the day I did notice it was a little rough when idling.

When I started it this morning, it quickly went into limp mode. I then siphoned as much fuel out of the tank as possible. No bars showing on fuel gauge. I then added some fresh fuel and it runs fine.

Could bad gas/water have been the cause?

I will probably take to dealer to get code run.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I wouldn't think bad gas/plugged filter would activate the engine light although it sounds like it`s starving for gas?
I`m leaning towards a faulty idle bypass valve, B.U.D.S. will tell you.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
agree, check with bud :smile_old:

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
On a ride yesterday my sled starting going into limp mode, it would run rough and was limited to 4k rpm. Check engine light would come on. It did it 3 or 4 times, lasted a few minutes each time then ran fine. Earlier in the day I did notice it was a little rough when idling.

When I started it this morning, it quickly went into limp mode. I then siphoned as much fuel out of the tank as possible. No bars showing on fuel gauge. I then added some fresh fuel and it runs fine.

Could bad gas/water have been the cause?

I will probably take to dealer to get code run.
Just a thought if adding new gas didn't work before taking it to a dealer i would check/clean the battery terminals & grounds.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Taking sled to dealer tomorrow.

Was out for ride yesterday, issue continues. Sled sputters, goes into limp mode and check engine message and light comes on.

Let rpms drop off below 1500, light goes out and sled runs fine. Would run ok longer if rpms kept below 4500.

Started checking things this morning. Found evidence of problem at negative battery terminal. Connection was tight, but some plastic from battery box was melted and terminal itself slightly deformed. Checked ground, it was tight and clean.

Could this have been issue? There was no evidence of short on winch connector, I will leave it off for now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had these same symptoms with my 600 Ace a couple of years ago and found I had created the issue myself. I had the battery disconnected and did not retighten the positive terminal tight enough. At times she would run fun, then limited to 4k RPM with engine light. I tightened the terminal and everything was fine afterwards.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealer ran BUDS this morning.

Ground fault on coil 2 and 3.

They agreed it was likely loose connection at negative battery terminal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts