Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a sled but want to try to tow it with my Saab 9000 turbo. Car has new tranny and clutch (manual tranny) and strong motor--240 H.P. Car weighs about 3,300 pounds. Is a Triton aluminum single a good choice for my needs? It weighs 350-400 lbs. plus sled would be under 1,000 lbs--should be okay. Any other considerations? I am in MI: Who is a good source?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
ttraynor said:
Thinking about getting a sled but want to try to tow it with my Saab 9000 turbo. Car has new tranny and clutch (manual tranny) and strong motor--240 H.P. Car weighs about 3,300 pounds. Is a Triton aluminum single a good choice for my needs? It weighs 350-400 lbs. plus sled would be under 1,000 lbs--should be okay. Any other considerations? I am in MI: Who is a good source?

Thanks
[snapback]728284[/snapback]​
I'd suggest a light weight aluminum Menards or Home Depot special. I think it would work fine for your situation.
-Good luck

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
TeamScream said:
ttraynor said:

Thanks
I'd suggest a light weight aluminum Menards or Home Depot special. I think it would work fine for your situation.
-Good luck

[snapback]728292[/snapback]​
i bought a home depot special for my lawn mower to hall down the road and back so i didnt have to drive it that far. works great. i also it use it to hall just about anything. good all around trailer. its not long enouph for a sled to fit though, you might have to get a little bigger one.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
500ssADR said:
TeamScream said:
ttraynor said:

Thanks
-Good luck

[snapback]728292[/snapback]​
i bought a home depot special for my lawn mower to hall down the road and back so i didnt have to drive it that far. works great. i also it use it to hall just about anything. good all around trailer. its not long enouph for a sled to fit though, you might have to get a little bigger one.
[snapback]728298[/snapback]​
i have a newman's sledbed single place aluminum tilter, great trailer, feather weight light, pulls like a dream!
-FFF

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
FLOE makes a nice single place trailer that is very light, I have a 2 place Floe and it only weighs maybe 400 lbs. so I think the single place would be very light

·
Registered
933 Posts
Isaw a little saturan pulling a single place with a sled. it took off from a stop and did fine, sounded like like he rode the clutch a bit but it probly only had the 2.0liter.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thesledhead said:
Isaw a little saturan pulling a single place with a sled. it took off from a stop and did fine, sounded like like he rode the clutch a bit but it probly only had the 2.0liter.
[snapback]729300[/snapback]​
Yeah, in the "old days", our family pulled double steel trailer (heavy) and two sleds with a mid-seventies Chevy station wagon with a choked down motor which couldn't have more than 150-160 H.P.s. Saab has torque (250+ ft. lbs.) and is known as a "snow car" (Scandanavian).

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I used to tow a 2 place aluminum trailer with a 5 speed VW diesel, that was no where near 240 HP, more like 50. I would still get 35-40 mpg with the trailer. Usually it only had one sled on it but it could haul 2 if needed. I wouldn't recomend it for long hauls or icy conditions. You can get it to go, but stopping and staying under control is a different story. You also have to deal with everyone staring at you like you're crazy when they pass you.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Last year, I purchased a new 1-place Triton and towed it behind a 200 HP Taurus. The trailer was real nice and I didn't feel it behind the car. A 2-place with a salt shield is a whole another story, though, you will definitely feel one of those.

Stay away from leaf springs and Home Depot steel trailers, the road salt will destroy them in no time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts