Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I completely forgot about this problem; just 5 minutes into the first ride my lights stopped working, just totally flickered on and off for 20 seconds and then died. They are all new bulbs and I just don't know what happened? Where should I look because everything seems in order?
My sled is an OLY 399 1972.
Thanks

Bossmatt123

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not with the sled right now. Could you tell me where the fuse is? That would be a simple solution if that's what's busted.

Bossmatt123

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I do not.

Bossmatt123

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The front bulb was burnt out. Are they like Christmas lights where if one is gone all the others will be too? Also, my throttle cable is frayed and it's only connects day the lever by one strand. Is this an easy fix?

Bossmatt123

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
The front bulb was burnt out. Are they like Christmas lights where if one is gone all the others will be too? Also, my throttle cable is frayed and it's only connects day the lever by one strand. Is this an easy fix?

Bossmatt123
Yes,like Christmas tree. You can get throttle cable only easily from aftermarket suppliers.Just loosen the throttle shaft bolt holding the cabel and pull out cable.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
On the no estart 72 399 there are no fuses or regulator. Also if one bulb burns out the other continues to work. But if there is a ground issue they could both go.

Sounds like you could have a short on the wiring harness to the front light, check the ground and make sure the supply is not grounding on the hood cable or something.

If you get the cables to the bulb assembly reversed it will still work but the ground will be hot. I've done this before.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
For the throttle cable, you can use the old style bicycle brake cable, same round part that goes in the handle lever, a universal replacemeny cable will work.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Oh the front burnt out, I missed that on my small phone screen. And the back is not working? Is it burnt out too? Might be a problem with your coil.
Are you handy with a voltage multi meter? Get the wiring diagram from vintagesnow.com and find which lead from the engine is the lighting coil, and test it there with engine running.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I posted this a while back on another topic. I forgot how simple the wiring is, and no connector for the harness I think, but you can test the yellow green wire (or yellow red as on my earlier model) from the engine, its easy to access it at the light switch see lower photo (ignore what I am doing with the green wire). You can unplug that plastic connector from the switch and put your test lead in there.

1972Olympique399ElectricaldiagramFromTec

20141223_145032_zps3767bab0.jpg

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the responses. I won't be able to work on the lighting system until Friday night, so I still don't know what is going on with it, but I'll look over everything you guys told me to. In the meantime I ordered 3 of these headlight bulbs for the sled: https://www.alssnowmobile.com/oemProductParts.aspx?ps_OemSku=GE660B&pl_Exact=1

They are 60 watt bulbs. Are these the right ones? I looked up headlight bulb for 1972 ski doo olympique and I clicked images and some were 35 watt! What ones do I need?

Thanks

Boss

·
Registered
250 Posts
Use a bike shiftier cable the brake ones are to big. Get them at a bike store and they will be a lot better quality than the aftermarket throttle cables.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Alright, few, good thing I got the right bulbs. I went and got a cable from the brake store and the ends from Napa. Went in very easy and everything is all set now. All I have left to do is fix the lights and I'll be all set. Could I use a fuse instead of a regulator? What would the regulator do, just restrict how much juice goes into the bulb so they don't just burn out?

Bossmatt123

1 - 16 of 16 Posts