Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about swapping my stock seat for a Boss and my stock panels for lexan. Id like to know how well the lexan holds up first though. Im thinking BR Tech panels.
Also can the stock airbox be hooked to the lexan panel?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I heard that the lexan material doesn't stand up to the heat of the exhaust. Melts and deforms a little. Don't take my word for it though...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mine have held up fantastic. 1000 miles on so far just need more snow

·
Registered
205 Posts
How well it holds up will be completely up to how it is treated. Lexan is impressive in some regards but has just as many weaknesses. Even in wooded tight trails, the hood does not get very much abuse. The lexan wil do fine. BUT, once any area gets bent to kinking, it will only get weaker and fall apart. Side panels get a bit more contact but it still is up to what it gets subjected to. You can kick your side panels and twist your hood without damage, BUT bend any area in a localized manner and you will see it immediatly fatigue and break off. If you roll over, the lexan panels will give and most likely handle quite a bit of abuse, but it is the mounting areas and concentrated stress points that will go. In summation, if it will break the lexan in a crash, it most definitely would have broken the plastic as well. In time however, the stress points will fatigue and you will need to replace it unlike the plastic ones. Even if it is every other season, if you are into the weight savings then it seems to be worth it. Very few things, when done correctly, can be made cheaply. Ask anyone who has raced R/C cars about lexan. They are more familiar with the material than most. I have been using lexan for over 20 years. Great stuff, just cracks after a while.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I bought the doo set, they look cool as heck but they are cheap I would not doo it again, mine have already cracked at the ends were the rubber strap holds them I had to take the sheet metal tape for duct work and tape all the edges to reinforce it they are very flimsy I gues the cold will make them suseptiple to cracking I meet soneone else on the trail that had the same doo ones as me and he had them crack at the edges as well and the cracks travel like a broken windshield
he had used ducked type on the inside to try and reinforce them I do not know how the other brands hold up the doo light weight panels are very very cheap
I can post you some pics if you want to see were they crack
and dont forget you can not put knee pads on them or any weight at all I was thrown forward and my knee hit panel and cracked it even worse

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK which is better (stronger, longer lasting) lexan or kevlar/composite? I can get either for only a $25 difference. The lexan I can get in colors and the kevlar/composite only in gloss black.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone know about the kevlar/composite and how it compares to the lexan?

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you can get kevlar/composite for only a bit more, GO FOR IT! The material is far stronger, will not keep cracking and unlike lexan, composites can be repaired.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would not buy the BRP panels! I bought them thinking they were the same as BR TECH "NOT". They look sweet but the first 5 min. I rode they were junk. I would go with BR TECH'S panels. BRP'S panels are weak and not BR quality.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah Yo DEEZ NUTZ, man that sounded like Snoop Dogg talking or something. lol
Anyway are those the BR Tech panels? Have they held up well? Im looking at either BR Tech or kevlar/composite. (not Ski Doo panels)
thanks for any tips and advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts