Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys lets talk about suspension setup, no I am not talking about a drag sled that is strapped down with chissels on it, I am talking about a full bodied CK3 chassis that will be trail ridden (not 200 miles a day) but a few miles here and there so trailabilty might be sacraficed. What I am looking for is a great setup for weight transfer and traction on snow for snow drags radar runs and grudge racing on hard pack, not Ice.

Here is what I have 1999 CK3 with a SC10-II 136" track 216 1.175 Woody's and lots of HP and torque. Right now I am running the front suspension on the softest setting, the rear block on the skid are taken off completely, the limiter straps were sucked down all the way, I just loosened them all the way up (have not had time to ride it. Front shock on the skid is set in the middle and the springs in back are in the loosest position.

What have you found works for you? Thoughts? Ideas? More or less general discusion?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you think it is a 900?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fiii-600? is the screen name

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it is an 1144. Who cares what my screen name is, who cares what motor it has in it! What does this have to doo with Suspension Setup?

·
Registered
592 Posts
fiii-600? said:
Yes, it is an 1144. Who cares what my screen name is, who cares what motor it has in it! What does this have to doo with Suspension Setup?
[snapback]692781[/snapback]​
first off if you let your limiters all the way down HOLD ON your not gonna have fun in the trails or any where else your just gonna hang wheelies

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ran my 890 through the trails before I long tracked it and put the Price motor in with an SC10 and had the limiter straps full loose and removed the ACM assembly completely. Rode that for a good 1000 miles in the trail before this.

·
Registered
592 Posts
fiii-600? said:
I ran my 890 through the trails before I long tracked it and put the Price motor in with an SC10 and had the limiter straps full loose and removed the ACM assembly completely. Rode that for a good 1000 miles in the trail before this.
[snapback]692855[/snapback]​
if you can loosing the limiters all the way and not keep the skis in the air your motor is junk throw it out my fiends old 470 mx hangs the skis with the limiters loose

·
Registered
41 Posts
fiii-600? said:
[snapback]692855[/snapback]​
I don't care for the ACM being gone but that's just me. I look at it like this...the time you spend winding up on the track is LESS time spent MOVING FORWARD. While you may have abundant power you won't get the most out of it doing that. I would rather spin just a little bit while I'm MOVING FORWARD. Did I say moving forward?
So, that being said, the ACM serves that skid in 2 ways. It's front to rear coupling for trail control and traction/wt transfer. My old 583 hangs the skis for 200' but it don't hang with much else doing it. Now I know you said no chisels. Why? Chisels are cheap and done right you can run em in the trail and be ready for some awesome hardpack draggin. The trick is to "pair them up" with a longer carbide stud. In my case I use a 1" chisel and a 1'075 Megabite. I'm just slow and careful at road xings and paved gas stations to make em last. The payoff? This big ol beeotch fricken HOOKS (97 Mach Z). I spin just a bit on a hardpack but I'm (sorry) MOVING FORWARD as I doo it. The rest is just common SC-10 set up. Rear full soft, center in the middle, fronts full soft, limiters in the stock position. I also have the AD Boivin ETS bars and they do well for keeping the skis close to the ground. For draggin I loosen the ACM as far as I can but staying in the nyloc and set my 245#"edit for bad language" back on the seat.

Even with a good drag car and slicks we do our best when that tire just "turns" on launch and helps to get up on the sidewalls. While it turning it's (you guessed it) moving forward.

·
Registered
592 Posts
the more lift you have the less forward movement you have my skis come up about 3 inches and hold them so i have a good hole shot compared to the guy next to me that has his limiters all the way down and just about rolls his sled over im going forward while he is going up

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
James, I agree 100% with what you are saying and appreciate the information. One thing that confuses the thread is the skid is an SC10-II not just the SC10 there is no ACM on the SC10-II. Also, I have done the mixing and matching of trail studs with chisels not that big of a difference for me even running half and half. It was a little better this way, but not enough to deal with the wearing out of chissels and high maintenance they were.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.