Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a ton of great information here on dootalk so I need some advice.

I have a 2004 Legend GT 550f and I'm pulling the cylinders for a top end project. Heads and the PTO side cylinder came off normally, the mag side cylinder will not budge. I figured corrosion around the studs, so I've been letting penetrating oil soak down the studs for the last couple of nights. It still won't move. I've pried on it as hard as I've dared. If I push any harder I'm afraid I'll crack something.

Anyone fought with these cylinders before? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If I have issues removing a cylinder I'll usually find a place I can tap with a hammer in an upwards direction and they will usually give up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I have issues removing a cylinder I'll usually find a place I can tap with a hammer in an upwards direction and they will usually give up

Thanks for the response. I have tried that too, but it hasn't moved yet. Again, I'm worried I'll break the cylinder if I 'tap' too hard. There are only the 4 studs holding the cylinder down, right? I've checked the parts diagrams to make sure there isn't a hidden fastener somewhere, because this thing is so tight it almost feels like there is. Would heating the cylinder around the stud ruin it?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Okay, a trick we used in my automotives class was get the stud red hot then put paraffin wax on it so it melts down the side. We used this for bolts but I bet it would work just as good in your situation. If you can't get the cylinder off after that the only thing I can think of is tighten two nuts together on all the studs and wrench on the bottom one. Maybe turning the stud will pop it loose. Make sure when it comes apart all of that stuff from the studs doesn't get into the bottom end unless you are tearing it apart anyway

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, a trick we used in my automotives class was get the stud red hot then put paraffin wax on it so it melts down the side. We used this for bolts but I bet it would work just as good in your situation. If you can't get the cylinder off after that the only thing I can think of is tighten two nuts together on all the studs and wrench on the bottom one. Maybe turning the stud will pop it loose. Make sure when it comes apart all of that stuff from the studs doesn't get into the bottom end unless you are tearing it apart anyway

Thanks, its worth a try. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts