Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an LED tail light bulb and the light functions fine and is very bright. Much better than stock. This is the kind that has about 18 LEDs in each direction.

But....
The only issue I have is the "(!)" light stays on on the dash. Does it think my light is burt out? Maybe not enough load. Any ideas on tricking the system in to thinking there is a regular bulb in there?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hmmmm...
Braap when I installed my BOSS seat, w/ about 12 1/4" LED lights, last year I had no problems. LED's are very low amperage drain so maybe you need a resister (BUT one would assume the LED bulb maker would have addressed this if needed) I truly don't thing our sled are smart enough to know when a tail/brake light is out. Is your parking brake set? I'm sure it's not but I had to ask.....
05SDI

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
05SDI said:
Hmmmm...
Braap when I installed my BOSS seat, w/ about 12 1/4" LED lights, last year I had no problems. LED's are very low amperage drain so maybe you need a resister (BUT one would assume the LED bulb maker would have addressed this if needed) I truly don't thing our sled are smart enough to know when a tail/brake light is out. Is your parking brake set? I'm sure it's not but I had to ask.....
05SDI
[snapback]688086[/snapback]​
The park brake was not on. I switched the bulbs back and forth a few times and the problem was consistant. The brake light and tail worked ok. I like how fast an LED comes tuns on and off. Its my primary way to signal the riders behind of a hazard. Tap the brake a few times....

This was a cheap light ($12) so I am not sure if they did a lot of engineereing with it.

I think a resistor might do it too I just don't know what value to use. I assume I should install it in-line??

·
Registered
243 Posts
how'd it work?

·
Registered
66 Posts
vettezr1 said:
not in line Brapp I would think load resistor , go across the hot and ground wire red and black? with a .500 ohm 1 watt resistor that would be the equal load the a regular tail light
[snapback]688225[/snapback]​
You sure about this?

Half ohm across 12 volts is 6 amps...which is 72 watts!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am dealing with the same problem. I put 3 led lights on the rear end. center is a runnong and the two outside are braking. An my (!) light is on too. It didn't start right away, but about the second weekend it came on and wont go off. I could really care less so long as she keeps runnin. but if the fix was easy enough I'd do it. So let us know

·
Registered
243 Posts
does the sled really "know" that there is low voltage in the taillight? kinda weird...

·
Wasting money wisely
1,640 Posts
Braap said:
I did not try it yet. Probably this weekend.... I will have an engineer at work verify the resistor value....
[snapback]692108[/snapback]​
Just to keep it simple. A guy could measure the resistance the stock bulb provides compared to the LED bulb. Are they close?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Treebasher said:
Braap said:
I did not try it yet. Probably this weekend.... I will have an engineer at work verify the resistor value....
[snapback]692108[/snapback]​
Just to keep it simple. A guy could measure the resistance the stock bulb provides compared to the LED bulb. Are they close?
[snapback]693767[/snapback]​
I am pretty sure that an incandescent bulb changes resistance when it lights up due to the temp change. If you have an amp meter, you could measure the current and divide it into the voltage to get the resistance. V=I*R (voltage=current * resistance). Also P=IV (power=voltage * current) [ (watts)= (volts)*(amps) ] or maybe you could just look up the specs from the manufacturer

·
G MAN
5,381 Posts
johhnycrash said:
does the sled really "know" that there is low voltage in the taillight? kinda weird...
[snapback]693738[/snapback]​
Yes, the resistance value changes and the light on the speedo will come on if you burn out a "normal" tail-light bulb. Unfortunatley it causes problems with LED's. Has anyone talked to the guys at 4-bar about this? I have the same issue.

Thanks,

G MAN

·
Hurry, pull my string again!
2,181 Posts
FYI, the dash light (!) comes on when your *brake* light filament is open. you can run all day with no running light but the brake light sets it off. i've broken/burned out 4 taillights, so i have seen this 4x.

W

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
Thanks 919Rider...I never had a issue until last ride and the (!) came on. Mine is a 30 bulb LED so never was an issue and then all of sudden it comes on. Same issue with a 440 conversion I just did for another dootalker. The 440 light already has a big resistor on it but same issue.

Got a pic of your install of that setup?

thanks, Chuck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.