Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seeing a post elsewhere on DooTalk today, got me to thinking about LEDs. The following is a post I made on a Ranger forum after a recent experience:

Well 1 of the DDM Tuning HIDs crapped out the other week & i decided to just go w/ LEDs. My 1st choice was the AK Offroad bulbs (nephew uses them in his Sportsman), but found them loose in the housing & broke off 1 of the tabs rotating the 1st bulb hoping that it would snug up. I ended up 'Gooping' it in place.

I ordered a pair of 880s from SuperBrightLED, but then remembered I'm using Beamtechs on my snowmobile, so I ordered a pair from them. The Beamtechs arrived 1st. Installed them & they are nice & snug in the housing.

I see the Beamtechs have 4 LEDs per side vs the 3 per side on the AK bulbs. I also noticed that the heat sink is smaller on the Beamtechs which may help those with Sportsman ATVs (we had to file down the heat sink to fit the Sportsman). Looking @ the bulbs after installation from the front & they were vertical, no 'clocking' necessary.

The SuperBright LEDs arrived & look identical to the AK bulbs (even the packaging) except for the branding.
In hindsight I should've just went w/ the Beamtechs.

For those that have swapped the OEM bulbs for LEDs, what are your experiences, good or bad? In the future I would have no issue recommending the Beamtechs.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Seeing a post elsewhere on DooTalk today, got me to thinking about LEDs. The following is a post I made on a Ranger forum after a recent experience:

For those that have swapped the OEM bulbs for LEDs, what are your experiences? In the future I would have no issue recommending the Beamtechs.
I've used the Eagle Diamondvision ones from motojungle on my last two sleds and have had no complaints. They were super easy to install and have excellent brightness. At the time of ordering some for my first sled, they seemed to be well reviewed and recommended by others.

·
Registered
314 Posts

For those that have swapped the OEM bulbs for LEDs, what are your experiences, good or bad? In the future I would have no issue recommending the Beamtechs.
My experience is good with LEDs, but honestly, you need to buy good bulbs, it's not so much about the brightness of the bulb but more so the beam pattern, some of the cheap Chinese bulbs are night and intense but they scatter light all over the place and really don't give you a good view when you need them.

I ended up buying Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0s they are brighter then halogens but have the same beam pattern. They really are a great upgrade, I loved them so much I got a set for my truck. But I think they've gone up nearly 30% since I bought them, so they're pretty close to $300 cdn for the pair. GTR lighting are good too as well as Xenon depot or diode dynamics

For XS models

For G4 models

Black Friday sale, should probably jump on this price if you think you like them, they're my personal preference

·
Registered
2023 Skidoo MXZ Blizzard 850
310 Posts
My experience is good with LEDs, but honestly, you need to buy good bulbs, it's not so much about the brightness of the bulb but more so the beam pattern, some of the cheap Chinese bulbs are night and intense but they scatter light all over the place and really don't give you a good view when you need them.

I ended up buying Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0s they are brighter then halogens but have the same beam pattern. They really are a great upgrade, I loved them so much I got a set for my truck. But I think they've gone up nearly 30% since I bought them, so they're pretty close to $300 cdn for the pair. GTR lighting are good too as well as Xenon depot or diode dynamics

For XS models

For G4 models

Black Friday sale, should probably jump on this price if you think you like them, they're my personal preference
These bulbs are likely much brighter, but if I am going to spend $300, I would rather spend it on the auxiliary Doo lights, which offer much better projection of the lighting. From what I have seen, aftermarket bulbs do not improve the projection (enough) further down the trail, as they are limited by the projection capabilities of the light housing. Don't get me wrong, I believe in LEDs for the bulbs, just not $300 worth.

·
Registered
314 Posts
These bulbs are likely much brighter, but if I am going to spend $300, I would rather spend it on the auxiliary Doo lights, which offer much better projection of the lighting. From what I have seen, aftermarket bulbs do not improve the projection (enough) further down the trail, as they are limited by the projection capabilities of the light housing. Don't get me wrong, I believe in LEDs for the bulbs, just not $300 worth.
These ones do there's a much better beam pattern them my buddies sled with his BRP light bar, in the forest trails it lights up everything, in fields i don't think anything helps that much, but they do a much better job

But yeah 285 is a tough pill to swallow for bulb replacements. But like i said they're alot better then the cheaper brand LED bulbs and give you a nice beam pattern. They're 225 for Black Friday which is much more reasonable compared to 285, they're closer in price to the cheaper ones mentioned

·
Registered
78 Posts
My two cents,

The good: LED lamps consume less power and generally produce more light per unit

The bad: Replacement LED lamps in general don't have as good a beam pattern as in incandescent lamps the headlight assembly was designed for. Any of the 3 sided LED lamps are horrible. The harsh white light produced by the LED lamps is harder on the eyes, especially so when riding while snowing or blowing snow. There is a reason fog lights are yellow. I also find meeting sleds with LED lamps coming the opposite way harder on the eyes/more distracting.

I have Beamtechs in my sled but ride very little at night.

·
Premium Member
2022 Expy 600R SE 2023 Expy 850 SE (Waiting)
4,816 Posts
I vote for Beam Tech. Have run in 4 sleds now and buy the High Beam Aux Lights also from Skidoo/ Ya I know they are expensive but well worth it for the high beam Aux Lights.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My two cents,

The good: LED lamps consume less power and generally produce more light per unit

The bad: Replacement LED lamps in general don't have as good a beam pattern as in incandescent lamps the headlight assembly was designed for. Any of the 3 sided LED lamps are horrible. The harsh white light produced by the LED lamps is harder on the eyes, especially so when riding while snowing or blowing snow. There is a reason fog lights are yellow. I also find meeting sleds with LED lamps coming the opposite way harder on the eyes/more distracting.

I have Beamtechs in my sled but ride very little at night.
this is why i was hoping to find some Yellow LED replacements, but they put out half the lux at the hotspots that the standard bulbs do.

another thing i found when installing my Morimoto lamps on backwards, if the cup on the bulb is not below the LED panel on the H4 lamps it blocks out the beam pattern, also if there is no cup on the H4, they won't reflect the light higher, the also need to be placed as straight up and down as possible the LED panels shoulf be shining parallel with ground, if not the pattern will be skewed

·
Registered
184 Posts
My experience- I put Beamtechs in my’19 Renegade very soon after buying it new. With stock bulbs, the nighttime lighting was very bad.

The Beamtechs help as they are much brighter. However, in blowing snow they are not great. And I suspect oncoming riders hate them. They have held up fine and they were pretty cheap, about $40 back then.

But the reality is, we’re just trying to make up for a poor reflector design. Even with brighter aftermarket lamps, the beam pattern is not as good as it should be. I’ve said it before, my 2002 Polaris with stock bulbs was much better at night. Whether it’s due to styling, lack of care by the designers at BRP, or deliberate to try to sell accessory lighting we will never know. But it sucks.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts