Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought it would be cool to see the opposite of the other thread not to be negative or anything.

old 1980 vamaha srx 440

new 1999 arctic cat zr 700

·
Registered
191 Posts
least favorite

vintage anything but doo

new anything but doo

·
Registered
764 Posts
I hate my buddy's 94 or 96? Indy Xlt, that thing sucks! It never runs worth a hoot, doesn't start when its colder than like 20 degrees, and its a pain in the but to get out when its stuck, and its stuck often...

·
What's snow? It's been so long I can't
3,598 Posts
I hate my buddy's 94 or 96? Indy Xlt, that thing sucks! It never runs worth a hoot, doesn't start when its colder than like 20 degrees, and its a pain in the but to get out when its stuck, and its stuck often...
That's weird. My dad has a 95 XLT Special. Never ever have problems with it. Always starts up on 1 pull. Even after sitting all summer. Runs really well, and gets GREAT gas mileage.

·
Registered
245 Posts
worst old sled: 1993 ski doo grand touring 580. Weighed a ton, battery was always dead and took two guys to pull it over, no choke but a primer, ran like (edit for bad language) terrible handling, worst suspension ever and very unreliable.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
This is a tough one. Even my favorites have been frustrating.

This is a cop out but I have not had a least favorite old or new.

I'm starting to sound like a politician.........

·
Registered
368 Posts
old: Yamaha Exciter(Long Story)
new: Yamaha Phazer

·
Registered
764 Posts
That's weird. My dad has a 95 XLT Special. Never ever have problems with it. Always starts up on 1 pull. Even after sitting all summer. Runs really well, and gets GREAT gas mileage.
Haha that reminded me of his gas situation, 20 miles on a tank and he would have to turn around and head home, it was bad, I didnt even like riding with him because of it.

·
Directional Driller
974 Posts
My least favorite old would have to be my old 96 ZR 580 and my old 97 ZRT 600. The 580 had lots of demons, kept eating pistons but it flew. The ZRT was a power house that was a screamer. It was so nose heavy that you didn't even want to take it off trail even after I instelled a 1 3/4 paddle on it. The other problem was I couldn't keep motor mounts in it or enough gas!

My least favorite newer sled would have to be the Polaris 900 Fusion. It's a friends sled and we were switching on and off alot because he wanted to ride in comfort and I wanted to put this 900 beast to the test. It was heavy, doggy and just not what I expected out of a 900. Even after he modded it up. Now it sits in his garage with the motor torn out of it needing a jug, pistons and a new crank.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
any sled that starts with an A, P, Y or has a primer lol. our 98 mxz 500's were the worst 2 machines i have never had the pleasure to work on. both blew up, ad flooded very easily. steve

·
7,754 Posts
Can't understand all the primer hate here. Once you take the time to learn how to use it, it was an excellent way to quickly start a sled, especially when the temperatures really dip. I'm in the north, so I suppose I'm partial... I do recognize the benefit of the "just enough" nature of the choke, especially for kids, wife, new drivers, etc.

Anyway, my picks:

Least fav old sled: 1993 Safari Deluxe. POS. Terrible suspension, ridiculous weight & poor handling.
Least fav new sled: Unknown. All of my newer sleds have been excellent mounts.

·
Shortbus member
1,026 Posts
all sleds are good sleds, some are just a lot better than others.
I want to switch my rev over to a primmer, once u get it down they are the best, my 990 Polaris has a primmer also.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Worst sled....period.... 1997 Arctic Cat Panther 550

I have always been a SkiDoo guy, but I bought into the BS (propoganda) that all the sled magazines were publishing about how great overall sled was, especially the IFS front suspension. I bought this for my wife to get into the sport.

This AC chassis and engine were complete GARBAGE. Fit and finish was disguising. Handlebar vibration was unbearable. Steering and ride was scary bad.

Now, every time I read anything about sleds (except Skidoo), I scream "B..S..." then turn the page.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Worst Old I'd say 94 Arctic Cat Puma 340, that thing never ran good.

Worst New I'd have to say 09 (I think that's the year) Polaris Assault, I know too many people that had motor problems.

On the other side of the coin I'd say best old would be 91 Yamaha Bravo, couldn't kill that thing, I sold it when it was 16 years old with 17000km on it, right now it is 19 years old with over 20k on it and it has only had minor work done to it. Best new is a hard one, I never had an issue with my 07 Apex, only thing I wasn't keen on was the weight for in the pow, however it was a 121 so it wasn't going to be the best anyway. My 2010 M8 has been a dream, probably the best sled I have owned, I was iffy about it before I bought it. I also liked the Doo I had, however it did have its down sides, I wouldn't consider it near the worst, but I wouldn't consider it for the best either.

·
Registered
2018 MXZX 850 / 2011 MXZX 800 etec
1,536 Posts
All my old sleds (72 TNT,80 blizzard 5500,85 formula MX,87 Formula Plus,97 MXZ 670) had their share of problems but that added to their character. I was slightly disappointed in 97 MXZ 670 being my first brand new sled and reading all the magazine hype. I set the sled up to handle pretty good but engine performance was ok. My brothers 97 MXZ 583 always gave my sled a very close run. Now my 2001 MXZ 700 did every thing I expected.I hope my 2011 MXZX 800 etec doesn't disappoint

·
Registered
477 Posts
All my old sleds (72 TNT,80 blizzard 5500,85 formula MX,87 Formula Plus,97 MXZ 670) had their share of problems but that added to their character. I was slightly disappointed in 97 MXZ 670 being my first brand new sled and reading all the magazine hype. I set the sled up to handle pretty good but engine performance was ok. My brothers 97 MXZ 583 always gave my sled a very close run. Now my 2001 MXZ 700 did every thing I expected.I hope my 2011 MXZX 800 etec doesn't disappoint
WORST old 89 650 wildcat worst new 1998 f-z 670

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My first Doo was back in 68 and can't say I have had a bad one but may be the one that did not meet my expectations would have been the orignal Mach 1. Heavy and not as fast as I was hoping for. I think it was my 95 or 96 MXZ 440 L/C might be one of the best. The little sled was a runner. could run with all the 600 and gave some 700 fits. Just a fun ridding sled!!!!
I just sold a 01MXZ 700 9,000 miles and no brake downs. I must admit I have never been looking forward to a new sled as much as my 2011x 600 Renegade . Just hope I am not disappointed and don't believe I will be.

·
Registered
906 Posts
X2, can't agree more. I've had a 95 Polaris XLT special as a sled for my GF, family, and friends to ride. Don't get me wrong, it's not a sled I enjoy riding, I would much rather be on my new Doo's, but the XLT has been bullet proof reliable, and always starts on first or second pull for the 4K miles we've had it. My XLT does have reverse. I couldn't Imagine trying to move a XLT around by hand with out reverse if you get one stuck. As matter of fact, If anyone is lookin for a relitivily cheap, bullet proof reliable, super clean in near new condition older sled, I have our XLT for-sale on HCS'er for $1500 or B/O. It's was mostly rode by my GF, and my 60 year old uncle for the last 4 years. Before that it was my buddy's wifes sled. Never been beat or abused. The link on HCS'er is
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...p;#entry5325984

By the way, my favorite older sled is a 97 Arctic Cat 440 snopro, and favorite newer sled is my 09 600 E-tec TNT. I can't wait for my 2011 800 E-tec XRS to get here!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts