Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
chaincase oil on disc, oil on jack shaft, oil on adjuster screw and oil on my boot. opened up th chain case and bearing look good. anyone have any ideas???
 

·
Just doo it.
Joined
·
690 Posts
DRZAP said:
Its not your injection oil? My 04 did same just blowing by cap. Made a mess.
[snapback]712565[/snapback]​
While you have the chaincase cover off, check the black seal that goes around the inside of the cover... if its ruined it might be leaking oil. Also, when you put it back on, tighten each screw a little at a time to ensure that it is sealed good, Thats all I can think of. Oh, and if you know what chaincase oil smells like, next time you take it for a ride and you see oil, wipe some up and take a whiff, if you can identify the smell of the oil you will know where its coming from. Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
SONIC said:
chaincase oil on disc, oil on jack shaft, oil on adjuster screw and oil on my boot. opened up th chain case and bearing look good. anyone have any ideas???
[snapback]712530[/snapback]​
yea mine to, its wierd but if you look at the dipstick, where your finger goes, you will see a hole, like the dip stick is hollow that is were mine was leaking from.
 

·
Just doo it.
Joined
·
690 Posts
04 ren x sdi said:
SONIC said:
chaincase oil on disc, oil on jack shaft, oil on adjuster screw and oil on my boot. opened up th chain case and bearing look good. anyone have any ideas???
[snapback]712530[/snapback]​
yea mine to, its wierd but if you look at the dipstick, where your finger goes, you will see a hole, like the dip stick is hollow that is were mine was leaking from.
[snapback]712605[/snapback]​
Weird, Mine doesnt do that, Or atleast I havent noticed it.
 

·
ITs WINTER!
Joined
·
7,497 Posts
mine hasnt had anything spurting out of it yet.

But with oil all over the motor. i would say its oil leaking from our lovely designed caps dripping onto the rotor and spraying everything.
 

·
Just doo it.
Joined
·
690 Posts
I still stand by the sniff test... try it see what it smells like! You might be able to identify what oil it is... wether its chaincase oil or the synthetic oil for the motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,324 Posts
check the recoil rope, it may be soaked with oil and dripping from the inj oil. I get chaincase oil out my breather hole in the dipstick. It makes a mess, I am ready to plug it, what king of preasure can this build, unless it is to vent moisture when it heats up, this would be the only source for moisture as far as I can tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
It may be the upper seal. I had to change mine last week. Oil on boot and brake rotor. The upper bearing and seal are pressed in. I didn't have a press but I made one with a bolt, piece of 2x4, and a 37mm socket. Worked like a charm. Leak is gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,254 Posts
Check your chaincase level , if it's over filled it will come out of the dipstick vent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IT'S NOT INJECTOR OIL. DEFINATLEY GEAR OIL. LOOKS LIKE IT COULD BE COMMING FROM THE TOP SEAL BUT ALSO THE CHAIN ADJ. BOLT LOOKED REALY DIRTY. DOESN'T LEACK MUCH AND BEARING SEALS LOOK GOOD. PROBABLY JUST CHANGE EVERYTHING!!!!
 
G

·
I take pride in making sure my sled is well oiled and greased and all the fluids are topped up and in good condition. I regeared my sled about a month or so ago and refilled the chain case. Checked the level and chain tension before every ride. Went to swap tracks on Friday and I pulled the bottom plug out and I got less then a table spoon of oil out of it. *%@. Pulled the cover off and the chain tension was really loose and the chain and gears are over heated. No visible leakes. Pulled the chain case right off and no signs of any leaks. *%@. I just can't seem to find anything wrong with any seals or the gasket. Nothing on the rotor, nothing in the belly pan. Wierd.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,324 Posts
My chaincase had a brown wartery oil in it and it was new this season, I changed it and have been ok but oil comes out the vent, I bet water is sucked in there too. Thats it, I am plugging that hole and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,756 Posts
REV_X_MAN said:
Check your chaincase level , if it's over filled it will come out of the dipstick vent.
[snapback]712951[/snapback]​
SONIC said:
IT'S NOT INJECTOR OIL. DEFINATLEY GEAR OIL. LOOKS LIKE IT COULD BE COMMING FROM THE TOP SEAL BUT ALSO THE CHAIN ADJ. BOLT LOOKED REALY DIRTY. DOESN'T LEACK MUCH AND BEARING SEALS LOOK GOOD. PROBABLY JUST CHANGE EVERYTHING!!!!
[snapback]713407[/snapback]​
If you recently changed your chain case oil and refilled it, there is a good chance you put too much fluid in it. They call for 8.5 oz. I have found that 8.5 oz is too much. I had 8.5 oz in mysled and would spit out and make a mess. I now backed it off to 7 oz and have had a clean area ever since.

-Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
Team scream let us know how much oil you take out the next time you change it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,756 Posts
The Duke said:
Team scream let us know how much oil you take out the next time you change it.
[snapback]713693[/snapback]​
7 oz. works best IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
799 Posts
I second the fact that over-filling a chaincase will cause leaking through the dip stick. My dealer turned me on to reducing the amount of lube last season and it hasn't leaked since.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top