Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just talked to my dad about riding this weekend with his 05 GSX 600 SDI. He has been having the fouling issues. I told him to call the dealer (very good guys) and ask to see if his sled has the latest update. They said it did. We had discussed the fouling issue with them earlier, and his advice was to run the br9es plugs until the break-in period was finished.

Apparently the dealer has talked with BRP about this, and now they are suggesting all SDI engines (incl. Mach Z) use the BR8ECS plugs. they have told all mach Z owners to do this and have had no problem. So my dad picked up 3 sets of br8ecs plugs and i'll let you know how they work out this weekend.

I'm pretty sure this is new news, i haven't read it on here, yet.

Dave

·
Registered
100 Posts
BR8ECS's are a slightly hotter plug, correct? I think that is how NGK rates their plugs. Lower numbers hot, higher numbers cold. I'll check with my dealer too to see if they have heard of this.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I READ THIS ON THE MACH Z SITE EARLIER THIS WEEK BUT I THOUGHT SOMEONE HAD TRIED THEM AND STILL HAD ISSUES.I WILL TRY TO FIND IT

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's unbelievable that for how many of these SDI sleds they have sold that Doo still can't figure out the correct plug to run.

I wonder what plug they are going to suggest next week.

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
Shortbus said:
It's unbelievable that for how many of these SDI sleds they have sold that Doo still can't figure out the correct plug to run.

I wonder what plug they are going to suggest next week.

[snapback]285864[/snapback]​
Seems like more of the 04s are having the problem than the new 05s, so you would think that the updates to the 05 software would fix it.

The other thing I wonder about it starting procedures. Does everyone use the same procedures.....nope. Never touch the throttle when starting.. most people have this part down. Then the grey area starts, how long to let it warm up, my dealer says start it put on your gloves and ride, no real warm up needed, others on here say let it warm up for up to 5 minutes or until temp guage rises a bit.

All I can say is I have not fouled one plug yet, still original, 800km.

·
Registered
549 Posts
PLUGS AREN'T THE ISSUE, THE SDI TECHNOLOGY IS!

These things only foul on start-up. Once their warmed up and moving its no problem. My wife and i put on 2300 miles on two of these machines and never once fouled a plug once it was warmed up and running.

THEY OBVIOUSLY STILL HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT WHAT TO DO AT START-UP.

Way too much gas is pumping while its warming up!

Another 2 cents for the jar.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
doo rider said:
The other thing I wonder about it starting procedures. Does everyone use the same procedures.....nope. Never touch the throttle when starting.. most people have this part down....
[snapback]285872[/snapback]​
My brother's SDI will not run at cold start up without throttle. It has fouled plugs twice just idling, but we've been able to clean it out without having to replace them. Every SDI is different...

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Personally, I've about had it with the SDI Technology. The batteryless EFI AC uses works. If Doo can't resolve this issue after two seasons, furthermore letting their consumers be the test media of a product that should have been completley tested by BRP. I guess it is time to move on. These round trips back and forth to their dealerships, and the dealers themselfs looking at you with a blank look on there faces is aggervation that I no longer need.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHICH OTHER SLEDS ARE SUPPOSE TO USE BR8ECS.I THOUGHT I READ SOME WHERE THAT SOME SUMMITS DO BUT COULD NOT FIND IT AGAIN. IS IT ALREADY A SKIDOO ITEM

·
Registered
100 Posts
my wifes started this after a full year of riding, my dealer says and this is straight from Ski-doo start it on a stand, which is supposedly in the manuel let put your gloves on as was said before, run it on the stand and go. They foul at idle.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
As mentioned before. We're not installing boxes of bad plugs, fuel mapping or a mechanical adjustment could be the problem. Some have the problem, some don't. Some of us that have had the 2005-3 update performed have the trouble, others don't???

·
Registered
42 Posts
The problem is not the plugs, the problem as already been stated a bazillion times is the ECU programming. I had no problems last season, now this season after the fall service updates I have issues!!!! Software programming

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
winter_rules said:
doo rider said:
The other thing I wonder about it starting procedures. Does everyone use the same procedures.....nope. Never touch the throttle when starting.. most people have this part down....
[snapback]285872[/snapback]​
My brother's SDI will not run at cold start up without throttle. It has fouled plugs twice just idling, but we've been able to clean it out without having to replace them. Every SDI is different...

[snapback]286001[/snapback]​
Procedure is all over the map...it shouldn't be this complicated BUT I think someone with electric start on their SDI fouls less than someone without electric start on their SDI because the motor is rotating more effeciently at start up compared to using a pull cord and I think that very first crank that these SDI's go through is key to this problem. You've got to get it right off the bat or all hell breaks loose and you have to start over again with new plugs...by the time you put the new plugs in the engine is loose and circumstances are different. If the SDI needs throttle at start-up when the engine is cold I think that is because the compression is going on it.

Bodacious said:
Personally, I've about had it with the SDI Technology. The batteryless EFI AC uses works. If Doo can't resolve this issue after two seasons, furthermore letting their consumers be the test media of a product that should have been completley tested by BRP. I guess it is time to move on. These round trips back and forth to their dealerships, and the dealers themselfs looking at you with a blank look on there faces is aggervation that I no longer need.

[snapback]286009[/snapback]​
I agree with Bodacious completely.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have an 05 sdi 600 and I have gone through four sets of plugs in less than 1,000 miles. All four sets fouled while the sled was warming up. Once you get it going, it is fine.

I called my dealer and he said yes there is a bulletin around the oil adjustment, but no to Ski Doo warrantying the plugs. He said that they will warranty them on the Mach's, but not the other SDI's.

Does anyone have any info. on their dealer warrantying the 600 sdi plugs? I would like to send it to my dealer.

Thanks,

MMM Gade

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
I own a 05 Mach Z and have compiled some info on NGK spark plugs used in SDI snowmobiles. The NGK BR9ECS and BR8ECS were designed specifically for high performance 2 cycle engines operating at high RPMS. The plug problem with, IMHO, SDI engines is they use less fuel than carbed or other EFI systems. For instance, an Arctic Cat F7 uses more fuel than a Mach Z which can be seen by looking at Dynotech dyno sheets. A F7 has 140 HP and the Mach Z has 170 HP. The additional fuel in the Arctic Cat actually helps cool the engines combustion chamber. This hotter combustion chamber puts greater importance in the spark plug design. At start up the engine is cold and there are different issues that are addressed in the spark plug design. The bottom line is the SDI engines are fuel efficient and hence more environmentally friendly. By the way, this design also puts different requirements on the injection oil that is used. But, this is a whole other topic. The link below shows the design changes made to the NGK spark plugs.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36009

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
After talking with NGK (US) technical service, they stated that the BR8ECS is so new that it is only available through snowmobile dealers. There is no aftermarket distribution of this plug in the US yet.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i have 1500 miles on mine and have gone through 26 plugs. not one of them during warm up. i seem to foul them when going down a tight twisty trail and let off the gas to slow down.its at a diff dealer right now, hopefully they will fix soon,going on a trip in 1 week. love the sled but this is getting old.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I must have a good one, knock on wood
, 4000 miles on my 05 600 gade early release and the only plug that I have ever fouled was when I was doing multiple compression checks. Almost always starts second pull, I let it sit in the garage and idle for a couple of minutes because as soon as I leave my driveway I am going uphill for about half a mile and I don't want to take a chance on a cold seizure. Why can cat have efi that starts on the first pull but Doo can't? Last ride 6.2 gallons of gas to go 80 miles, NO complaints about that!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts