Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Who has been using them for any length of time? I'd like to hear your experience with them, in your snowmobiles track, with some stats like how many miles on them, what track, and what screw size combination, and have you lost any, etc. etc..

I would like to add just a little extra traction for braking, and acceleration, and I think a 1" KK stud, with the low profile .190" head will fit the bill. They are cheap, and they don't add alot of rotating weight. These in particular...
[

I've read a few archived threads on here about them, and for the most part, they seem to be liked by the users.

I have zero interest in installing actual studs in my track. Only looking for Kold Kutter info, from actual users of that product.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Use them all the time for messing on the lake , cheap grip and they work

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I have only ran them in atv and dirtbike tires. They work great!! Not sure if i would want them in a sled track tho.. on bikes and quads there is no risk of chucking one thru a cooler...

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
Had a friend that had the screw in type studs (not sure of the brand). They worked well for about four years or so. Then one night one came out and and put a hole in his heat exchanger.

You said you did not want to install studs. Have you considered an Ice Ripper or an Ice Attack with the factory impregnated studs ?

Don~

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a friend that had the screw in type studs (not sure of the brand). They worked well for about four years or so. Then one night one came out and and put a hole in his heat exchanger.

You said you did not want to install studs. Have you considered an Ice Ripper or an Ice Attack with the factory impregnated studs ?

Don~
Same thing can happen with traditional studs too right?

I am always considering a new track, I'm pretty sure I won't be too happy with the Ripsaw that came OEM. The Ice Storm is at the top of my list, for when I do upgrade. It's just not in the cards right now.

I appreciate all the replies.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've used them for two different applications. First application was a utility quad with a plow for pushing snow at the place we rode out of.....low speed and only concrete was the apron to the garage. They lasted about 3 years before needing to be replaced..... and the struggle was real then. The heads were either misshaped or ground down to where a nut driver wouldn't grab it.... and the flat head groove is just about worthless.
Second application was in a 60hp two stroke atv. For goofing off on the lake. 20 minutes and about 100 of the 200 were missing. 10 minutes later I could count what was left with two hands. Waste of money for that.

True a regular stud CAN pull through.... but the head size on it really keeps them in good. But with the kold kutters you're relying only on the thread to hold it in.

I would say if you're ice fishing or using it as a work sled then sure go for it. But if you're going to be running trails even REMOTELY quick... don't count on them being there after the first hard braking on a hard base.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too have been looking at the I-Grip studs also, I wonder if you still need the heat exchanger protectors, mine doesn't have any...............

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only use them for motorcycle ice racing. Keep them wrapped and dry they last 5-7 years. Never thought about them in a sled track.

attachicon.gif
IMG_20170104_093559454.jpg
I'm not an ice racer, but that is where I got the idea. I know they have a good reputation in that area of motorsports.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the looks of i-GRIP design a lot better, but no idea how they hold up. My buddy just installed them in his and his girls tracks, have to wait a month or so for a formal review.
Curious what it is that you like about them better?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Stud boys hill climb ice screws in my 2019 Grand Touring 900T w/ silent track. Installed last year, they have about 500 miles on them at this point. During my 2020 pre-season tuning and prep, I found 2 bent screws, 3 broken screws and a few that were screwing in deeper than originally set while others were unscrewing.

The screws were installed at the beginning of last season. No glue was used during the initial install. This year I am opting to put a dab of shoe goo rubber cement on the back side of the head of each screw that was backing out or screwing in. I am hoping this helps to address the screwing in/out problem, while still allowing me to remove/replace them without damaging the track.

Overall, I am pleased with the performance of the screws. They have made a notable difference on the lake riding and northern NH icy conditions.

If I were to do it again, I would look for screws that are pointed, or that do not have a slot, with the idea these would not screw in/out.

2019-2020 mid season update.

The screws with the shoe goo rubber cement are holding up nicely after a couple hundred miles. That said, the screws that were not glued in place have started to back-out or in some cases come out all together. I have installed new screws for the missing ones and have glued them in with shoe goo rubber cement.

I may opt for gorilla glue on my next season inspection.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Off topic, but since it was mentioned...
We raced sport quads on ice for 10 years. The secret to keeping the screws in the tires was to only use new tires, and long enough screws so they screwed all the way thru to inside the tire. The last set I did had 1.25 inch screws, and each had a flat washer under the head. We'd use over 500 per rear tire. Never had them leak air, never lost a single screw. Only rode them on ice.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Off topic, but since it was mentioned...
We raced sport quads on ice for 10 years. The secret to keeping the screws in the tires was to only use new tires, and long enough screws so they screwed all the way thru to inside the tire. The last set I did had 1.25 inch screws, and each had a flat washer under the head. We'd use over 500 per rear tire. Never had them leak air, never lost a single screw. Only rode them on ice.
That Kenda ice tire has a tire inside with the sidewalls cut off to use a longer screw.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts