Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
quote name="KnappAttack" post="23039215" timestamp="1570983165"]

Nice looking machine! Red accents and all, really sets it off. Only way to improve on it is to build an all orange one next season, and of course bump it up to just over 200 HP and improve the front end ride and handling. Oh I almost forgot, fix the god awful throttle and go back to a simple mechanical cable for the butterfly. The lag on and off the throttle is uncalled for.

I've always thought the G4 looked ugly and rubber duck like, but this machine IMO is the best looking out there and not at all rubber duck like.[/quote]

--------------------------------------------
Opened this up here because I didn't want to hijack the O/P.

Knapp on the throttle. I never had any real issue with it. With that said I just got my ECU back from Olivier at Boost engineering and I am amazed at how he improved it.(BRP you reading this? You need this guy to set up your itc mapping)

No matter what mode I have my sled in i can move it forward with full control and not have that sudden full on surge of power that would break the track free when in gas stations or loading into the trailer when in sport mode. I always used eco mode because of this.

It's difficult to explain but the travel of the throttle is now consist and responds with how far you push the flipper rather than pushing it halfway in and then it suddenly rockets ahead at half throttle.

Also gone is the pointless increase in rpm when at idle when you switch into sport mode.

Eco and standard are at factory hp,timing and boost. Good for those days when you're not able to get premium or questionable fuel.

Sport mode increase hp,timing,fuel and boost ECT.

Looking forward to this season.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Nice looking machine! Red accents and all, really sets it off. Only way to improve on it is to build an all orange one next season, and of course bump it up to just over 200 HP and improve the front end ride and handling. Oh I almost forgot, fix the god awful throttle and go back to a simple mechanical cable for the butterfly. The lag on and off the throttle is uncalled for.

I've always thought the G4 looked ugly and rubber duck like, but this machine IMO is the best looking out there and not at all rubber duck like.
Knapp on the throttle. I never had any real issue with it. With that said I just got my ECU back from Olivier at Boost engineering and I am amazed at how he improved it.(BRP you reading this? You need this guy to set up your itc mapping)

No matter what mode I have my sled in i can move it forward with full control and not have that sudden full on surge of power that would break the track free when in gas stations or loading into the trailer when in sport mode. I always used eco mode because of this.

It's difficult to explain but the travel of the throttle is now consist and responds with how far you push the flipper rather than pushing it halfway in and then it suddenly rockets ahead at half throttle.

Also gone is the pointless increase in rpm when at idle when you switch into sport mode.

Eco and standard are at factory hp,timing and boost. Good for those days when you're not able to get premium or questionable fuel.

Sport mode increase hp,timing,fuel and boost ECT.

Looking forward to this season.[/quote]

Am I reading this right that Mike has a 900T now ?

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No he doesn't. He was commenting on the 2020 900T in another post and mentioned the handling and throttle. I didn't want to hijack the original posters thread so I replied to him here.

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,820 Posts
That's really good to know Oliver has the throttle figured out. I believe he is the furthest along as far as tuning these things goes. I have my doubts the others in the tuning game have access to as much as he does.

Please repost once you get some seat time. The throttle is my absolute biggest complaint of the sled.

PS toss some snow trackers on and they handle excellent ;)

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Have been running this setup since my 1200 days.

Jamie i will post as soon as I can get some seat time.
I have had these 6.9's on my last 2 1200's and now my 900T. I've had these for about 4years now and the funny thing is that I actually bought them used from KnappAttack.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
As far as the throttle goes, it needs help, and lots of it. I rode one buddies 900t last season and it was so irritating. Hit it and it wouldn't respond right away, let off and it wouldn't let off right away. Pretty crazy!

I had another buddy that crashed his 900t first ride of the season last winter and it sent him in to the trees when the throttle wouldn't let off when it was supposed to. He has hundreds of thousands of miles on Hi-Perf sleds and I'd consider him a Expert rider. Was not a good day for him, he's hoping he will be healed enough to ride at a decent clip this winter again. Not what should happen on a good machine, the throttle needs reworked bad!

I'd love to be back on a Doo again for my next machine, but the way the 900t sits right now It's not going to happen. They have some work to do to get me back on a new Doo, my Winder is working pretty good after some re-working of the shortcomings. None of them are perfect for sure and I LOVED my 1200's, but the Winder has more going for it handling, comfort and ride wise right now. The Doo needs a re-worked front end and a bunch more power potential. I'd like to see 200 HP stock with a Cat front end on it with good shocks. A re-worked throttle system is a must!

The Manta Green looks great, I'd love to have a Orange one just like it with the re-work as above.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
As far as the throttle goes, it needs help, and lots of it. I rode one buddies 900t last season and it was so irritating. Hit it and it wouldn't respond right away, let off and it wouldn't let off right away. Pretty crazy!

I had another buddy that crashed his 900t first ride of the season last winter and it sent him in to the trees when the throttle wouldn't let off when it was supposed to. He has hundreds of thousands of miles on Hi-Perf sleds and I'd consider him a Expert rider. Was not a good day for him, he's hoping he will be healed enough to ride at a decent clip this winter again. Not what should happen on a good machine, the throttle needs reworked bad!

I'd love to be back on a Doo again for my next machine, but the way the 900t sits right now It's not going to happen. They have some work to do to get me back on a new Doo, my Winder is working pretty good after some re-working of the shortcomings. None of them are perfect for sure and I LOVED my 1200's, but the Winder has more going for it handling, comfort and ride wise right now. The Doo needs a re-worked front end and a bunch more power potential. I'd like to see 200 HP stock with a Cat front end on it with good shocks. A re-worked throttle system is a must!

The Manta Green looks great, I'd love to have a Orange one just like it with the re-work as above.
Mike just listening to Super sled online right now and am wondering where is that bad VMax 4 that couldn't be caught

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Wow not good for your buddy. Hope everything work's out for him this season.

I did hear of a few report's similar to this where the sled would not decelerate immediately after letting off the gas. I even believe there was a recall for affected sleds such as this.

Fortunately mine or none of the other 2 in our group ever had this problem.

As for the hp I think most coming off a boosted cat or s/w will find it difficult going down in power.

I'm interested to see what my sled will perform like after the Boost engineering tune. If ever you can get to try a 900T tune from Olivier take that opportunity, just to experience what he has been able to do to the throttle. It truly is impressive.

Obviously I can't speak to the hp improvement until we get some snow but I know it will never be anything like a tuned s/w.

The handling of the front end. I am surprised that you feel it is so bad. Was it an x pkg that you rode? The x pkg of today is nothing like it was when I had my x pkg 1200.

Mine is the XRS and I could not be happier with it. As the trail gets bumpier and the faster I go, it soaks up the biggest bumps and holes with no problem.
It's certainly far,far better than the 2010 and 2018 1200 I had.

After experiencing what Olivier is able to do with the throttle i can not understand why doo would send it out like it was.

I understand the 2020 throttle was remapped. It will be interesting to see if it's more like mine is now. We will have 2 2020 xrs in the group. Looking forward to comparing them to my 2019.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I hear that the cat a arm hight is the difference maker but to me it seems to be the laid back set up or rake of the shocks in relation to the front chassis framing . There just seems to be a different feel to the steering and ride in rough stuff

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Wow not good for your buddy. Hope everything work's out for him this season.

I did hear of a few report's similar to this where the sled would not decelerate immediately after letting off the gas. I even believe there was a recall for affected sleds such as this.

Fortunately mine or none of the other 2 in our group ever had this problem.

As for the hp I think most coming off a boosted cat or s/w will find it difficult going down in power.

I'm interested to see what my sled will perform like after the Boost engineering tune. If ever you can get to try a 900T tune from Olivier take that opportunity, just to experience what he has been able to do to the throttle. It truly is impressive.

Obviously I can't speak to the hp improvement until we get some snow but I know it will never be anything like a tuned s/w.

The handling of the front end. I am surprised that you feel it is so bad. Was it an x pkg that you rode? The x pkg of today is nothing like it was when I had my x pkg 1200.

Mine is the XRS and I could not be happier with it. As the trail gets bumpier and the faster I go, it soaks up the biggest bumps and holes with no problem.
It's certainly far,far better than the 2010 and 2018 1200 I had.

After experiencing what Olivier is able to do with the throttle i can not understand why doo would send it out like it was.

I understand the 2020 throttle was remapped. It will be interesting to see if it's more like mine is now. We will have 2 2020 xrs in the group. Looking forward to comparing them to my 2019.
The machine I rode was a XRS 900t. I found it to be too harsh up front as I have with all Doos front ends, just can't beat the Cat front end with QS3's on it that's for sure, Cat an Polaris seems to have nailed the front end. Surprisingly my Winder with QS'3s is amazing in the ride department and steers so easy as well, also the bump steer on the Cat is ZERO. The Doos transmit a lot of the front end jolt right into the bars and is pretty twitchy with bump steer, I also like the "swing" of the steering post better on the Cat chassis over the Doo. The Doo needs the post a bit more upright like the post forward mods, just moving the bars forward doesn't give you that swing.

Don't get me wrong, there are things I could live with on the Doo like the twitchy and more harsh front end and the steering post angle, but why should I have to "live with it"? These are little things that could be engineered out with a new front end. The turbo Doo needs some some more tweaks for me to pull the trigger. If I was buying new right now, it would be a new Thundercat, I really like that black with green 2020 and its just like my Winder.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Throttle is terrible.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I agree with Knapp with all the short comings of the 900T and the front end. I feel there is a issue with the chassis/suspension in general and is more pronounced with the heavier 900 engine over the 850. As far as the chassis/suspension, they do ride good at slower speeds, seems when you start to bring the pace up all the flaws come out with the chassis/suspension. I am on a new 900T XRS this year with hopes to sort this out, if not I will jump ship to a different manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I agree with Knapp with all the short comings of the 900T and the front end. I feel there is a issue with the chassis/suspension in general and is more pronounced with the heavier 900 engine over the 850. As far as the chassis/suspension, they do ride good at slower speeds, seems when you start to bring the pace up all the flaws come out with the chassis/suspension. I am on a new 900T XRS this year with hopes to sort this out, if not I will jump ship to a different manufacturer.
I run snowtrackers. I have no darting, no twitching or that feeling of where is this thing going when at high speeds. I don't think it is because of the additional weight vs the 850. I think you hit the nail on the head. It's all in the set up. The 2 850's in our group give me that very feeling of this thing has a mind of it's own at high speed.

When I first had my 900 i started off with the suspension settings front and back set close to what my 2018 1200 was. Like Mike has said it was less than confidence building. After days of messing with it. I decided to back every thing off to the softest settings.(I'm 195lbs)
I was amazed at how well it worked from this point. I did make a few small adjustments to compression and rebound but not by much. I would have to look at my notes to see how many clicks for each.

I even found it handles better with slightly more rider sag then suggested in the book.

Obviously suspension setup plays a major role in how it handles but I also believe that the DS 2 ski and snowtrackers make a huge difference in the 900's steering characteristics.

I think too many people run with the suspension set way to stiff. And when it gives you a bad ride we tend to stiffen it more. When in fact we are going the wrong way, I was that guy.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Hurricane instaglide tunes focuses on fixing the throttle delay with a smooth delivery of power from the instant that the throttle lever is moved
"The Hurricane instaglide tunes focuses on fixing the throttle delay"

Is this a separate tune all of it's own? Vs 195 or 205 tune.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I run snowtrackers. I have no darting, no twitching or that feeling of where is this thing going when at high speeds. I don't think it is because of the additional weight vs the 850. I think you hit the nail on the head. It's all in the set up. The 2 850's in our group give me that very feeling of this thing has a mind of it's own at high speed.

When I first had my 900 i started off with the suspension settings front and back set close to what my 2018 1200 was. Like Mike has said it was less than confidence building. After days of messing with it. I decided to back every thing off to the softest settings.(I'm 195lbs)
I was amazed at how well it worked from this point. I did make a few small adjustments to compression and rebound but not by much. I would have to look at my notes to see how many clicks for each.

I even found it handles better with slightly less rider sag then suggested in the book.

Obviously suspension setup plays a major role in how it handles but I also believe that the DS 2 ski and snowtrackers make a huge difference in the 900's steering characteristics.

I think too many people run with the suspension set way to stiff. And when it gives you a bad ride we tend to stiffen it more. When in fact we are going the wrong way, I was that guy.
Exactly what I have found. Most people that I sled with and talk to never even look at their sag. I'm a former motocross racer and it was drilled into my head for years that the sag was probably the most important setting to dial in if you wanted handling. I'm set close to the minimum on my sag front and back and this sled is the most predictable sled I've ridden. I'm running an Adrenaline as well so I have the cheapest shocks you can get. I'm 235 or so and the sled is pretty soft for me at this sag setting but it only bottoms once in a while when hitting G outs.

The 850 Doo's I've ridden were horrible, twitchy sleds that I had zero confidence in. I have no idea if they were setup but I didn't like them at all. I'd like to set one up and try it as I'm sure it would be great.

Bottom line for me is set your sag. If your weight or riding style take you out of the sag specs you need to get the proper springs and or valving to correct it.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exactly what I have found. Most people that I sled with and talk to never even look at their sag. I'm a former motocross racer and it was drilled into my head for years that the sag was probably the most important setting to dial in if you wanted handling. I'm set close to the minimum on my sag front and back and this sled is the most predictable sled I've ridden. I'm running an Adrenaline as well so I have the cheapest shocks you can get. I'm 235 or so and the sled is pretty soft for me at this sag setting but it only bottoms once in a while when hitting G outs.
The 850 Doo's I've ridden were horrible, twitchy sleds that I had zero confidence in. I have no idea if they were setup but I didn't like them at all. I'd like to set one up and try it as I'm sure it would be great.
Bottom line for me is set your sag. If your weight or riding style take you out of the sag specs you need to get the proper springs and or valving to correct it.
Motocross background as well. 1982 to 2010. Did mainly the AMA in the early years. Been to Gary Bailey's school several times. Rode and practice with Jeff Sutherland, Ronnie Tichenor and a few other old timers.

Good times. Now I don't heal like i used to. Keep my seat time for my sled.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts