Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 800 rev. Last year after about 1600 miles i pulled the cord and bam the recoil broke! I took it apart and seen its made of plastic. I asked purchased one at the dealer and he said hes sold 9 just in that month. I rode the sled 3 times since ( about 900 miles tops ) And it broke again!!!! Is there an after market one they sell? If so id appreciate the info. And please no smart A#$ replys on telling me to get one with electric start.

·
Registered
983 Posts
They are a cheep design but there are ways to make it last, When cold pull very slowly 4 or 5 full times before trying a full hard pull. Make sure cam is engaged before pulling hard and put some reflective heat tape over the plastic cover.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have an 03 800sdi motor in my Rev and blew out the recoil within the first 200 miles, I bought the replacemnet assembly from my dealer and it appears to be more thought out and the parts are refined a bit compared to the 03 one, I have run flawlessly sice then. I did buy 2 when I bought it because I though I was going to be in for a few changes and didn't want to be caught short.

I have not seen an aftermarket one out there but I do know that if you have to replace the spring or the rope that the design of the plastic cover does not lend itself well to removal of the retainer clip on the center post. They chould be a steel or aluminum insert with a snap ring instead of that crap push on clip.

Good luck.

03rev800 said:
I have a 03 800 rev. Last year after about 1600 miles i pulled the cord and bam the recoil broke! I took it apart and seen its made of plastic. I asked purchased one at the dealer and he said hes sold 9 just in that month. I rode the sled 3 times since ( about 900 miles tops ) And it broke again!!!! Is there an after market one they sell? If so id appreciate the info. And please no smart A#$ replys on telling me to get one with electric start.
[snapback]725073[/snapback]​

·
Registered
662 Posts
03rev800 said:
[snapback]725073[/snapback]​
Do you have an aftermarket can on your sled. There is some preventative measures to get them to last longer, but the bottom line is the recoils are junk.
They make a tape that you can put on the outside cover of the recoil to help reflect the heat from your can away from it. If you have an aftermarket can I can guarantee that is why the recoil is breaking (plastic is getting way too hot). If you have a stock can I would still put the tape on, but you are at the mercy of a cheap product. I won't bring up the electric start on your end, but after going through three recoils myself on my 01' mxz 800x my next two sled purchases have both had electric start on them.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Has anyone ever had the metal pully come apart? I'm talking about the part that bolts to the flywheel that has the slots where the recoil engages to. For some reason mine decided to come apart. It broke free from all three bolts and a 3 inch chunk actually came off it and shot through the recoil housing. It sounded like one of those industrial wood shredders when they send a tree though it. Thats kinda what the recoil parts looked like they came out of too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My solution for an '03 recoil:
The newer recoils have an aluminum insert from the outside that extends into the plastic spindle that the recoil eccentric mounts on. That aluminum piece was available as a separate piece from my dealer. I also found that I had to assemble the recoil, push the locking clip in place, drill some tiny holes in the spindle across the end, and thread some safety wire through the clip (a tiny cotter pin would probably also work). Self destructed three times before, after that, no more problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
aaronj said:
The newer recoils have an aluminum insert from the outside that extends into the plastic spindle that the recoil eccentric mounts on. That aluminum piece was available as a separate piece from my dealer. I also found that I had to assemble the recoil, push the locking clip in place, drill some tiny holes in the spindle across the end, and thread some safety wire through the clip (a tiny cotter pin would probably also work). Self destructed three times before, after that, no more problems.
[snapback]725871[/snapback]​
My buddy just had his break on an 03. Had the dealer repair it- broken spring. Took it up north on the 8th pull somthing broke. So he started it with the supplied rope from ski doo and 20 miles later it stalled. $900 later, the plastic gear the spins the fly broke and took out his stator and other parts. This is weak on doo's part, I guess if mine ever breaks I guess I will tow and not try to start it. Has any one had this happen before?

·
Registered
78 Posts
dant said:
aaronj said:
My buddy just had his break on an 03. Had the dealer repair it- broken spring. Took it up north on the 8th pull somthing broke. So he started it with the supplied rope from ski doo and 20 miles later it stalled. $900 later, the plastic gear the spins the fly broke and took out his stator and other parts. This is weak on doo's part, I guess if mine ever breaks I guess I will tow and not try to start it. Has any one had this happen before?
[snapback]745798[/snapback]​
My 03 800 recoil broke last week. I was lucky cause it happened on the trail in town next to Poo dealer. I had them pull the can and recoil cover. There is a retaining clip and a metal collar that was behind the flywheel. If I kept running it would have been bad. It is best to get the two metal objects out then use the rope.

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
Sledneck36 said:
I have never had a problem with mine... no.. wait... I have never used it. Gotta love electric start
[snapback]746000[/snapback]​
Exactly what i was going to post, Electric start kicks arse!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I had gone through 3 when a dealer discovered that the plate the recoil fastens to was cracked and allowing it to move. Check it out. Good luck, PCB

·
Registered
31 Posts
06MXZXRenegade800 said:
Sledneck36 said:
I have never had a problem with mine... no.. wait... I have never used it. Gotta love electric start
[snapback]746005[/snapback]​
Electric start won't help you witht he plastic gear breaking. The electric start turns the gear that broke on my buddies sled. That was the first thing I was going to do was to add elec start but the tech said it turns the same gear that the recoil does. He said it was quite common an elec starts to. Just food for though!

·
Registered
127 Posts
dant said:
aaronj said:
[snapback]745798[/snapback]​
Yep,mine broke on my 03 rev also but my buddy happened to hear a peice of it clanging around in there when we started it,so we shut it off and we see a peice of that junk recoil asembly in there and we fished it out,or it would have gotten in the stator and #*&% it up..Get a peice of that 1/2" insulated sheathing you put on your house and put it between outer recoil housing and the frame,just trim it to size.
Especially if you have an aftermarket silencer...

·
Registered
127 Posts
06MXZXRenegade800 said:
Sledneck36 said:
DICKS........ Can't you read ? No smart "edit for bad language" posts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
06MXZXRenegade800 said:
Sledneck36 said:
Electric start won't help you witht he plastic gear breaking. The electric start turns the gear that broke on my buddies sled. That was the first thing I was going to do was to add elec start but the tech said it turns the same gear that the recoil does. He said it was quite common an elec starts to. Just food for though!
No it doesn't.

E-Start turns a ring gear that bolts onto the back of the primary clutch. No engagement of the recoil in any way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts