Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there Doo-talkers! I just made the move up to Wasilla, Alaska this past summer. I am just wondering where good spots to ride are. I am not looking for anyones "secret spots" just a good idea of where to go. I love riding in the mountains, hence the move from Minnesota. If anyone around has any ideas or I could buy you a beer and we can chat (I'm married and not trying to pick anyone up)! Now that it is awkward! Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Best way to meet new riders and support the local snowmobiling community is to join a snowmobile club. There's ASSA (Alaska State Snowmobile Assoc.) Curry Ridge Riders (they're North of Wasilla - Peteresville area), and AK Motor Mushers.

Another way is to attend an avalanche class or seminar. AMDS has an Avalanche & Snowmobile Safety Seminar coming up this month, Friday Oct. 18th from 6-8 pm. There will be lots of local riders there. I'm sure CC ski-doo in Wasilla will also have the same seminar at their shop.

If you search some of the older posts in this forum you'll find lots of info on riding areas and people to hook up with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thanks Irondog. I am actually set up for the CC avy class. I will do some poking around! I will look into those clubs as well!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Don't be offended being cheechocko, learn from it. We have some things that can kill you just as easily as an avalanche. A few examples: moose on a trail, highways or anywhere. Brown bears coming out of their dens in the spring(like to chew on just about anything or anyone within reach). Traps n trappers, they can be friends or enemies. I like knowing where there gear is likely to be , some get real testy if you run off the game, might even shoot at you. Gold minors and their claims, know one ole codger who will shoot at you. Big state, don't assume emergency evac equipment is available, varies depending on where you are, find out. There are more, but this is already windy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome to Alaska, be safe and pay attention to your surroundings. AK is huge, I would not pretend to know anything about riding in the interior mainly becasue I live in SE. One thing I would say is do not be afraid to ask questions. Best of luck up there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts