Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought myself a 2012 600 RS that is fully set-up to race. I'm looking to trail convert it somewhat to make it a more fun ride on the trails, yet keep it in shape that I can race it a couple times a year.

Any suggestions on what to do/ what not to do?

Thanks.

·
I picked a stupid name...
1,537 Posts
The stock clutching sucks. Putting a DJ clutch kit in mine totally the way it behaves for the better. Also, the shocks are super stiff, I sent mine to Ian @ Monster Performance and had them re-valved and the rears re-sprung. Other than that, cut the hot start and throw some 290-310 mains in it unless you want to run race fuel. I have 300s in mine and I still mix my gas to about 94-95 octane.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The stock clutching sucks. Putting a DJ clutch kit in mine totally the way it behaves for the better. Also, the shocks are super stiff, I sent mine to Ian @ Monster Performance and had them re-valved and the rears re-sprung. Other than that, cut the hot start and throw some 290-310 mains in it unless you want to run race fuel. I have 300s in mine and I still mix my gas to about 94-95 octane.
Dooguymn is right on!! Also a 10.5 gallon tank and I moved my needle jets clips to 3

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard a lot of people mention cutting the hot start, what exactly does that do?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Changes the ECM from Race to Cross Country mode. It's a lot nicer than the old way of sending the ECM to the race dept at BRP and having them re-program it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Changes the ECM from Race to Cross Country mode. It's a lot nicer than the old way of sending the ECM to the race dept at BRP and having them re-program it.
So different shift points? What kind of changes are we taking about?

·
I picked a stupid name...
1,537 Posts
Not as hot of a timing curve. If you leave it alone and leave the wire hooked up and pin it for about 10 seconds the computer pulls some timing and goes into the XC curve to safeguard the motor. If you cut the wire, it stays in that XC curve 100% of the time. It's not a huge difference and will make the motor last longer unless you want to run race gas.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just took the sled out for the first ride. Given that the conditions were mostly hard pack, I over heated the motor twice in the first 5 miles. Any suggestions on why this might be happening or what I can do to fix the issue?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Start searching for trail convert threads on here and also looks at the faqs section. Lots to learn before going out and rippin it up

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
def finitely put a 2014 consumer sled flap on it. best flap yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts