Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so your thinking that will all of the heat of summer you can't wait to get on your sled again. I'm hoping I can talk you into along with other people on here to join a club. If you think that you can just buy a sled and go riding your very mistaken. Theres lots of work people do so you and your buddies can ride. Instead of thinking about joining a club do it. If there is one close to where you ride or where you ride the most. Oh ya just don't join the club,work a little bit for them too. If you can give up a day to clear brush or help at a money making function for the club, do it they need all the help they can get.
Please if your a club member help out and post here why others need to become members too. I don't want it to come down to you will get a cheaper rate on your registration if your a club member. I don't think that those people will help out if they are made to do it.
Lets see where this goes to from here?

·
Registered
270 Posts
OK so your thinking that will all of the heat of summer you can't wait to get on your sled again. I'm hoping I can talk you into along with other people on here to join a club. If you think that you can just buy a sled and go riding your very mistaken. Theres lots of work people do so you and your buddies can ride. Instead of thinking about joining a club do it. If there is one close to where you ride or where you ride the most. Oh ya just don't join the club,work a little bit for them too. If you can give up a day to clear brush or help at a money making function for the club, do it they need all the help they can get.
Please if your a club member help out and post here why others need to become members too. I don't want it to come down to you will get a cheaper rate on your registration if your a club member. I don't think that those people will help out if they are made to do it.
Lets see where this goes to from here?
Right now I belong to two clubs Elcho snow Devils and CP riders, we live in Cross Plains I have a section of trail I put in with my daughter and have done some grooming for the club. I own land it norther WI with trails on most all of it. Belonging to a club is a great way to have fun with the family. Pic's club ride and
me on some of my land.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
I agree, don't just join a club, help out. Most don't understand how much work is involved with keeping our trails open. I have been working with my local club for for 30 years, been on the board for 20. My Father made me go out and clear trails with them starting at the age of 10, wish more would do that. Mine is 5, he is starting this year. I ride in 3 different states and always join at least one club and try to put money in the groomer jug.

·
Please join a club, respect landowners, and prote
2,245 Posts
I'm the V.P. of Interstate Snow Goers of Fryeburg Maine. Seems to me that getting people "under" the age of say thirty to fourty is dang near impossible. surrounding clubs and ours have been trying for years show them why it's in their best interests to volunteer a little time back in order to keep their sport/recreational play time going. These people would rather complain about how rough the trails were "after" a very busy weekend and then demand that the clubs get out there and doo their "jobs" more often and groom them. If the trails are always there and all the work is done for them (by a very few "older an wiser" volunteers) then why should they contribute anything back to a sport they supposedly love?
Just like getting cross-country skiers to appreciate who makes and maintains the trails. Will they ever "pay" for the use and upkeep of the trail systems like we doo? It's not going to happen. These people say they don't have any time to help with the trails yet they can be out there 24/7 in the Fall and Winter riding their four-wheelers and snowmobiles. Then they talk about how many miles they got in.
The "entitled" generation will be the death for so many things in this country, possibly even the country itself.

·
Registered
77 Posts
belong to two clubs in two states which both are a 5hr drive.have multiple sleds reg with each.would love to go and help out with trail work but with to kids work ect its tough but by tickets to every event and donate when ever the club needs it.these people spend countless hours every year to make the trails the best that they can be.we should all say THANK YOU TO ALL

·
Registered
463 Posts
[quote name='Maine Blizzard' date='Jul 9 2010, 06:24 AM' post='2928740']
I'm the V.P. of Interstate Snow Goers of Fryeburg Maine. Seems to me that getting people "under" the age of say thirty to fourty is dang near impossible. surrounding clubs and ours have been trying for years show them why it's in their best interests to volunteer a little time back in order to keep their sport/recreational play time going. These people would rather complain about how rough the trails were "after" a very busy weekend and then demand that the clubs get out there and doo their "jobs" more often and groom them. If the trails are always there and all the work is done for them (by a very few "older an wiser" volunteers) then why should they contribute anything back to a sport they supposedly love?
Just like getting cross-country skiers to appreciate who makes and maintains the trails. Will they ever "pay" for the use and upkeep of the trail systems like we doo? It's not going to happen. These people say they don't have any time to help with the trails yet they can be out there 24/7 in the Fall and Winter riding their four-wheelers and snowmobiles. Then they talk about how many miles they got in.
The "entitled" generation will be the death for so many things in this country, possibly even the country itself.
[/q

I agree. Although, we do have some landowners that cross country ski. They like us keeping up the trails on their land. We also have a few skier that join just t help out. We need the younger kids to start helping or this sport we all love will be gone.

·
2,245 Posts
I appreciate anyone and everyone who shows their appreciation for having access to what this (or any other) area has to offer. There are so many different groups that use the trails who benefit from the hard work of so few causing club members to get burned out. Repairing or rebuilding vandelized bridges and gates, filling in rutted out trails caused by 4x4 trucks and ATV's. Picking up truck loads of trash in the Fall. Rerouting trails due to off season abuses of the landowner's property and goodwill is getting real old. When trails get closed, it seems that we are the only ones who understand and honor that the trail is CLOSED! We are always quite busy in the off season. There are far too many people today who just can't understand why we volunteer our time and equipment for this? Thank God our wives understand LOL!

Another thing, just imagine if the non-motorized crowd was finally required to pay for access to the same lakes and trails that the motorized crowd has to. All that money going to protect and maintain these wonderful and priceless assets to our areas. What kind of stink doo you think they would make if they had to pay to play just like us? Of course all that money is still useless without those of us who will actually doo the work. I'll never stop volunteering my time, and I will always remember why I doo it.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I'm a member of a club in the U.P. that is 430 miles from where I live. I have a buddy near me that is also a member. For the last 4 years we have been going up 1 weekend in the fall to help brush and sign the trails. Last year we went up 2 weekends. I actually enjoy getting out in the woods for the weekend. Being with some other 'bilers and giving something back to the sport gives one a great feeling of accomplishment and the satisfaction of being a part of a "Team". Later, during the season, it's kind of neat to be out riding and come to a spot and think "I cleared out this corner this fall". I definitely recommend getting out there and "DOOing it".

St. Ignace Snowmobile Club

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
My whole family is part of our local club which does a ton of the eup. It's worth joining a club, because not only does it benefit you it benefits all the other riders that ride in your area.

·
2,245 Posts
I'm a member of a club in the U.P. that is 430 miles from where I live. I have a buddy near me that is also a member. For the last 4 years we have been going up 1 weekend in the fall to help brush and sign the trails. Last year we went up 2 weekends. I actually enjoy getting out in the woods for the weekend. Being with some other 'bilers and giving something back to the sport gives one a great feeling of accomplishment and the satisfaction of being a part of a "Team". Later, during the season, it's kind of neat to be out riding and come to a spot and think "I cleared out this corner this fall". I definitely recommend getting out there and "DOOing it".

St. Ignace Snowmobile Club

·
Registered
819 Posts
Just got back from a club work day here. Feels good to get around the club house and make it ready for the snow !!!

·
Where's the winter?
19,659 Posts
Great topic! I joined 5+ years ago when I was 25. I dragged 2 buds along and they dropped a big chunk of trail on us. But that is why we joined, to ensure we can ride from home to the network of trails leading anywhere. 3 of us combined accumulate close to 200 hrs yearly, not including grooming. Hardest part is making town meetings, lobbying an PR with land owners. All pays off! I have gained a lot of repect for landowners and private land since joining. 6yrs ago I could really care less about off trail riding and upsetting people. Now I am enforcing it. About 8 out of our 50 members work trails. The rest drink the free Beer and talk stupid. Frustrating. Uneducated non-members even more frustrating.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Joined a club two years ago when I made the switch from vintage to modern sleds. I brought my the 7yrold to the first meeting. His exact word when we walked out " Dad, those guys were nice. Can we go to the next meeting?"

My Dad has a place in WI on the Mississippi. I plan on joining the 'Snowtrailers' out of Chaseburg this year and riding the trails in that area.

Cross Plains ??? do those trails connect to the lacrosse/Praire Du Shane trails? I take it that is a main trail running on the south side of 14?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I've been and active club member since the 80's . Both of my boys grew being active in all aspects of trail work. When my youngest enrolled in college he applied for, and and was awarded a scholarship from VAST. His essay about real life experience wrenching on sleds and spring and fall trail work I'm sure weighed heavily. My point is what goes around comes around. Take care of your home turf and ride proudly wherever you go.
Pictured is my newest helper in the neighborhood. he is only 8 but he is always eager to lend a hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I look and see that there was almost 400 viewers to this post. I see that everyone who replied to this post is a club member. I'm wondering why the non members are not replying?
I hope that you read this post and DOO something more than just think Oh ya I'll get around to that sometime. It might just be to late then. Clubs always need your help no matter what the time of year it is. I DOO hope you get off of Dootalk and join a club.
If you don't I'd also like to hear why you don't join a club?

·
2,245 Posts
I look and see that there was almost 400 viewers to this post. I see that everyone who replied to this post is a club member. I'm wondering why the non members are not replying?
I hope that you read this post and DOO something more than just think Oh ya I'll get around to that sometime. It might just be to late then. Clubs always need your help no matter what the time of year it is. I DOO hope you get off of Dootalk and join a club.
If you don't I'd also like to hear why you don't join a club?
Good point! There are so many obvious reasons why one should give back to something that they "say" they love and/or benefit from. Just what could possibly be their reasons for not giving something back? I've read some people's stories stated that they offered to help but the clubs turned them away. Hard to believe but if the clubs don't want the extra help one could always bypass the clubs and talk directly to the landowners (crazy idea, I know). Try to see if there is anything you can doo for them to show your appreciation for them opening up "their" property to you and others for you recreational pleasure(s). It might not directly involve working on the the trail but if the landowner sees that we truley doo appreciate "them", it goes a long way IMHO.

To everyone, doo what you can for our sport and always remember what you shouldn't be doing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Spud you are correct about that and I'll be the first I don't belong to a club. I started really riding two years. There's trails about 30 mins from my house. In all seriousness I have no idea who does it or where to go to help. I'm 21 and have a little one of my own 2 yrs yes still a baby. But I'd like to join now. That way he knows what really goes into all of that. Any one know where I can get that info?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Good point! There are so many obvious reasons why one should give back to something that they "say" they love and/or benefit from. Just what could possibly be their reasons for not giving something back? I've read some people's stories stated that they offered to help but the clubs turned them away. Hard to believe but if the clubs don't want the extra help one could always bypass the clubs and talk directly to the landowners (crazy idea, I know). Try to see if there is anything you can doo for them to show your appreciation for them opening up "their" property to you and others for you recreational pleasure(s). It might not directly involve working on the the trail but if the landowner sees that we truley doo appreciate "them", it goes a long way IMHO.

To everyone, doo what you can for our sport and always remember what you shouldn't be doing.
Can't believe any club turning away help. We never have and I have not been turned away by a club yet. There always seems to be 5 or 6 people doing everything, everyone else complaining about somthing. I work year round for my local club and try to spend at least 1 weekend a year helping the club in the area we travel to. Most do not realize this is a year round effort, and it is ALOT of work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts