1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, Here are the stats...

Elevation: 4-6K feet
Temp: 33
Conditions- 6-12" new snow...fantastic base, 30" in last week...could ride ANYWHERE!!!
Sled: Summit Rev 800 Stock (except Joes kit)
EGT readings: WOT 1090...Qtr Throttle- 800-900
Clickers Set at 4
Weights- 19.3 (or whatever the full weight is)
RPM's @ 8200 WOT
Jetting= 380 mains
Rider = 250+ with gear etc.
Engagement at 4700 +/-

Ok, as said above...I am a TOTAL newby on this...This is my first sled, and I know NOTHING about tuning...that is till ttabs mod shop opened up

Sled CLEARLY had more grunt, was not the right kind of base to notice if it had rip your arms off pull, but it maintained power in climbs...never did this before...

Never got stuck today, which is another surprise

everyone talks about backshifting, but as a newby I know NOTHING about that till today...now I CLEARLY know what they mean...when I rev up and then let off...the sled did not lag to engage at all...it was right there when you wanted it... engaged, and off we go...

let another guy ride it and he immediately noticed that my sled did not engaged like it should, real hard (I thought was normal) but after we adjusted, could tell it was easier to start off...(remember newby learning)

going down hills, sled would clearly engine brake whereas before I would have to rev engine to make it engage....was really neat...

CLEARLY better on fuel consumption too, this was a WELCOME event!!!!

now going to try and switch from the stock gearing (19/45) to maybe 19/47...

Still have a 1/4 throttle bog? dont know anythign about jetting, but seemed to help wiht the changing of the belt deflection...

Joe,

THANKS!!!! and APPRECIATE the patience with the AOL email...you have a GREAT product!!!!!!!!!!!! Have told our lame skidoo shop here, and HIGHLY encouraged them to QUIT the TEAM thing, and give Joey a call!!!! Joey, you need to start marketing this stuff to dealerships!!!!

MTdream

·
Metalhead
9,149 Posts
Hi and thanks for the kind words....

Re: Bog
How is your belt deflection?
Have a look at this little video...
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...04&#entry381004

Can you try to set it like this or as close as possible?

Another thing...some guys crank the rave caps in and reduces or eliminates bog.
Some tuners go up in pilot size about 5 sizes [1/2 a full pilot jet]

THANKS
Joey

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Didn't get stuck once?!? Hmmmmm......

I had to roll my sled on 5 different occasions .... before noon!

Joey!! ... what the hells the matter with my clutch!!!!

BTW ... fingers (amongst everything else) are too stiff to type today

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dynamo^Joe said:
Hi and thanks for the kind words....

Re: Bog
How is your belt deflection?
Have a look at this little video...
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...04&#entry381004

Can you try to set it like this or as close as possible?

Another thing...some guys crank the rave caps in and reduces or eliminates bog.
Some tuners go up in pilot size about 5 sizes [1/2 a full pilot jet]

THANKS
Joey
[snapback]687690[/snapback]​
Think I got the belt deflection thing...

Ok, where is the link showing how to change pilots...HELLO TTABS...HELP!!!!

RAV adjustment..not sure how much...just a little then experiement? What do they really do?

MAN soooooo much to learn!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ttabs said:
Didn't get stuck once?!? Hmmmmm......

I had to roll my sled on 5 different occasions .... before noon!

Joey!! ... what the hells the matter with my clutch!!!!

BTW ... fingers (amongst everything else) are too stiff to type today

[snapback]687805[/snapback]​
As to getting stuck...well conditions were amazing, and well ok, I should clarify...there was this one chute that we had to pull, and well I kind of ummm got a little off kilter and ummm got a little stuck, but was able to pull it back around and head down and try again, so no one noticed...

didnt roll my sled though, but one of our crew did in the parking lot...this is why we call him "our Stupid Friend" truly a badge of honor!!!

TTAbs, take meds, we cannot afford for you to be too sore to type or tune!!! BTW, have to come out the Spokane to trade a mountain horse, need to get you out here hunting in MT sometime....

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dynamo^Joe said:
ttabs]...Joey!! ... what the hells the matter with my clutch!!!!

Joe]...I dunno. Im over here, you're over there. What did the clutch say?

[snapback]687972[/snapback]​
think he was teasing...my clutch equaled no stucks....his equaled all those rolls....

course he got a pretty white spring and I got a red one....maybe the white ones have mexican jumping bean in them?

·
Metalhead
9,149 Posts
The PTEK engines take a white 230/360
The non-ptek engines take a red 230/390

The ptek engine has more schnozz in the midrange rpms between 4700 & 7500 rpms and usually overrev with the /390 finish.

Any engine that has Big John's trail torquer kit would required the /360...most economical improvement and bang for buck to produce better power. That s4it works darn good man!!!!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
That's nice Jozeriza! But when I ride, it's either all on or all off. What's a "mid range" anyway?!?

MT - you've got my #. I'm very easy to find/get to off I-90.

·
Sponsors
3,965 Posts
MTdreamRev cool I was going to run 380's nice to see your egt temps wish I had some, I ride 6000 to 9000 lately cause there is such great snow 20 min away 6 to 8FT. I am going to run 19/47, gears 380 mains, and the rave caps in all the way Removed button kit on track and ported closed windows. Keep you posted after next ride

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Idahodoo said:
MTdreamRev cool I was going to run 380's nice to see your egt temps wish I had some, I ride 6000 to 9000 lately cause there is such great snow 20 min away 6 to 8FT. I am going to run 19/47, gears 380 mains, and the rave caps in all the way Removed button kit on track and ported closed windows. Keep you posted after next ride

[snapback]689489[/snapback]​
yeah temps are great...wil try the RAV things all the way in...not sure what they do...anyone care to share in dork terms?If I put them in all the way, will I have to adjust them? and if so when?

Oh and TTabs...here is a pic of us looking at two bulls fighting in the distance...we had JUST finished calling in three other bulls, the guy with me has never shot a bull but has the third highest scoring Muley in MT...So on a mission to get him a bull....this trip we saw a huge main frame four that would go easy 190-200....yes not kidding...crap pic is on other computer, will edit and post tomorrow...

MTdream (who trades hunting for sled help
)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I'd be interested in them pics.

RAV valve adjustment .... in my opinion ... is a waste of time. I played around with my red caps last year and one of them vibrated loose. I lost both the spring and cap ..... never noticed the diff. Then, after spending the $ for replacements, I screwed them both in tight, and again could not feel a diff.

BJ's torquer kit comes with stiffer springs to keep the RAV closed a little longer in the mid range. If your runn'n stock, just keep'em cranked all the way on for the simple reason that they're a PITA to have to replace. Look else where for more HP.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ttabs said:
I'd be interested in them pics.

RAV valve adjustment .... in my opinion ... is a waste of time. I played around with my red caps last year and one of them vibrated loose. I lost both the spring and cap ..... never noticed the diff. Then, after spending the $ for replacements, I screwed them both in tight, and again could not feel a diff.

BJ's torquer kit comes with stiffer springs to keep the RAV closed a little longer in the mid range. If your runn'n stock, just keep'em cranked all the way on for the simple reason that they're a PITA to have to replace. Look else where for more HP.
[snapback]689743[/snapback]​
I just need ot drop my sled off at your place for a week,and you can do the RKT it etc
then I will take you on an elk hunting trip that I can assure you, you will see atleaset 3 bulls well over 350....
(and yes legal to shoot) Had a VERY close friend of mine literally pee his pants when we had big daddy come in at 12 yards...and yes I mean he actually peed his pants!!!!!! did nto shoot the bull either...and I was pinned down by a little rag horn right behind me serving as cover while my buddy sat there and "edit for bad language" himself.... Oh well, it makes for great fun and tease him LIBERALLY about it....

·
Registered
468 Posts
OK guys, all this talk about RAV valves has got me confused

it sounds like the general idea is to keep them tightened down.
Thats all fine and good to know, but I don't even know where they are on my sled ( 05 800 REV ), when it comes to gas I'm pretty much in the dark
.but if you got any questions about Diesel I can most likely help, not that it will doo anybody on this forum any good

·
Ski-doo's poster boy
2,128 Posts
Turbo said:
OK guys, all this talk about RAV valves has got me confused

it sounds like the general idea is to keep them tightened down.
Thats all fine and good to know, but I don't even know where they are on my sled ( 05 800 REV ), when it comes to gas I'm pretty much in the dark
.but if you got any questions about Diesel I can most likely help, not that it will doo anybody on this forum any good

[snapback]690775[/snapback]​
They are the 2 black plastic covers with red inserts that are about the size of a quarter, that are located above your exhaust manifold on the exhaust side of your cylinders.Man,now that I read back over that,it sounds dumb, but thats my dumb description.

What type of diesels do you work on.Duramax's maybe.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Well, ya may not believe it BUT ..... Here's the cougar I hit with my sled this past weekend ...

Carnivore Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Dog breed
doo'in about 80

bent my A-arm a little and I had to replace my bumper. Otherwise, no big deal. darn things are everywhere out by me!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ttabs said:
Well, ya may not believe it BUT ..... Here's the cougar I hit with my sled this past weekend ...

View attachment 45959 doo'in about 80

bent my A-arm a little and I had to replace my bumper. Otherwise, no big deal. darn things are everywhere out by me!!!!!
[snapback]691727[/snapback]​
UMMMM Doood....you might not want to post that pic...

THAT IS A HUGE kitty....you just had to take kiling and arctic cat literally didnt you.....

that is one of the bigger cats I have seen....

you literally hit it with your sled? and dooing 80? WOW!!!!! what were you doing??? there is clearly more to the story.... CANNOT wait to hear...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'd have something "not so politically correct" to say...but seriously, that's a big cat! A large predator at that. Not to mention being a big hunk of meat to encounter at 80 mph! At least our bears are snoozin' and the moose are pretty conspicuous (hard to miss).
Jeez!
Be careful out there!
hickster

1 - 20 of 26 Posts