Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an (04) 440 and most of the jetting specs I have gotten have been way rich and I was wondering if there is a web site that posts jettings for different sleds for different temps? OR what has everyone else come up with for good jetting? I have the LC heads, stock base gasket, and I just got the pump needles the other day. Havent had enough snow to ride now. Well I ran 330's with 40 pilots when it was 10F. That was WAY too rich. But it was getting down to -20 so I put in 340's and dropped to 35's. Still very rich. Now I dropped to 320's and 25 pilots and it runs a lot better, but still feels like it is running rich! Really sluggish off start, and top end isnt very good. Plugs are black and a little wet. I have gotten help from many people but I think a lot of it is not from the "04" though. Which I am thinking is jetting differently. So any help would be appreciated. I am thinking about putting the Tempaflow in if I can figure out where to drill the darn hole in the carb as well. Thanks. Justin

·
Registered
37 Posts
We were having the same problem with my son's 04 440 last week... Tried 35,30 now have the 25 pilot in it and its better... Clip on #1... Had 350s then 340s in it...Going to try 330s and 320s... Ours also seems too rich on the bottom... Was going to try 20 pilots, but Dynamo Joe wanted to know what oil I was using... One night it was -4, tried amsoil that day and the sled screamed with 360 mains, #3 on the needle, and 25 pilots... We usually use Bombi syn... We are going to stick with amsoil at 38 to 1... I use Fowler oil in my 800 and 600ho revs, tried it in the 440 and wouldn't run at all, constantly fouled plugs even when we went to 310 mains... Joe said that he has seen people having trouble with Klotz,Blue Marble, any Castrol... Maybe try a different oil...

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Before you can even start comparing jetting to other people you have to make sure you have clean carbs (no leaking inlet needle), 32:1 oil mixture (if you run less oil, your sled will run RICH), solid compression, all the vent lines hooked up and working on the carbs, reeds that are not warped or broken, RAVES that are clean and installed correctly and clutching that is at least in the ball park (including a good belt).

Oh, and one other thing, make sure your belt deflection isn't too tight. This will make your low end seem rich and idle low. Make sure your carbs are synched too. One slide moving before the other will cause all kinds of rich symptoms.

Check if your primer is leaking too. If your sled is pulling fuel through the primer, you will run rich all the time. A quick check would be to clamp some small vise grips on the line (once the machine is warmed up) and carefully ride around.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Yes, the 04's are alittle more tricky to tune than previous years because they took off the boost bottle. You should be in the 300-320 range, stock pilots and clip on 2 air screw out 2 turns...

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Being to rich because of less oil??? So my mixing at 40:1 would casue it too run rich all the time. I wouldnt think that that amount would casue it too run diffrent especially rich. Becasue i have been having problems with mine running rich all the time and i have gone down to 290 mains and 22.5 pilots and clips at 2 and 1 and it still has black plugs all the time. Would mixing at 32:1 let it run properly and not be rich all the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts