Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a stupid question, but how is the bearing removed from the shaft? Is it pressed on with a slight interference fit. Can I just tap it off with a hammer? I have the jack shaft and secondary sitting on my bench, I'm going to replace the spring and rollers so figured I should do the bearing as well. The bearing is not bad but certainly not like new. Sled is a 2011 MXZ 1200.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 MXZ TNT 500SS
61 Posts
The bearing needs to be pressed off and on. If you are going to cut it off just be careful so you don't damage your jackshaft.

C&T Powersports makes the puller for the bearing. You can also press it on with the tool as well. Just need to buy the threaded rod as it doesn't come with that. I'd recommend buying this if you want to do it yourself or just bring it to a local dealer to have them replace the bearing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I could cut it off but I'll get the bearing first, then decide how I'm going to remove it. Looks like it would be easy to make that tool. I probably have some aluminum or steel plate that I can use. And the threaded rod would be cheap enough.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If you have a hydraulic press you can press it on and off, just get creative with your set up, the puller also works well to, remove it with a impact gun.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
The tool for pulling it off works well, but as mentioned many have cut them off with ease. Take your time with the zip disc and it will come off. The bearing races are so hard that they are brittle and if you get 99% through and then give it a hit with a punch and hammer it will break.
As for the install of the new bearing.....I cool the shaft in the freezer or outside (if it’s the right season!) for 15-20 minutes and warm the bearing in the oven at 200F. I then take a piece of 1.5” ABS pipe (approx. 20” long) as it’s the same size as the inner race on a 6008 bearing. Slip the bearing on the jackshaft, then place the pipe on the shaft and hit the top of the pipe until you feel the bearing seat on the lip of the shaft.
The entire time I am hitting the pipe the jackshaft is standing vertical on my shop floor and I have a piece of wood/rubber on the concrete slab to avoid damaging the shaft. Did I mention that my wife usually helps me and she is steading the shaft while I’m hitting the bearing in place. She’s a keeper!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
My son had his jackshaft bearing replaced (just for maintenance) last rear and the dealer charged him $20 plus the price of the bearing. We just upgraded his track to a 1.75 Hurricane, which we did ourselves. While the drive axle was out he had the bearing replaced (again for maintenance) and they charged him only for the price of the bearing. I guess it depends on the price of the puller or to make vs the cost for having someone else doing it.

On a side note, I thought that Chris (C&T Powersports) no longer had the puller available (could be wrong). Guess it's up to everyone to decided for themselves.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Repackaging is always an option but for the cost of the bearing my preference is to replace. Overpacking the bearing can be as detrimental on bearing life as running it dry, just something to be cautious of.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Repackaging is always an option but for the cost of the bearing my preference is to replace. Overpacking the bearing can be as detrimental on bearing life as running it dry, just something to be cautious of.
What percentage of fill is over packing? What does over packing cause that is detrimental to the bearing ? Besides possibly blowing the seals out, what else.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
The two biggest concerns with overpacking is that the bearing can run hotter and secondaly ......as you mentioned the seals can pop out.
If you pop the seal on a new bearing you'd be shocked how little grease is considere spec. I know that I was.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
I was able to use some blocking and a big open end wrench (1 5/16 I think, but anything big would work) to strategically pound the old bearing off. It wasn't stuck on too terribly hard. Just had to get creative to hold the jackshaft, get the open end wrench on the bearing, the box end of the wrench on something hard and a largish hammer to tap on the big wrench. Took a few hits but it came right off.

I used the old bearing to tap the new one on, then finished with a punch very carefully to make sure it was fully seated.

It wasn't overly difficult. Just gotta get a little creative.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
i replaced this bearing on a few months ago on my 2016 i can show you a picture of the tool i made to pull it off.

i had a metal fabricating neighbour press the new bearing on with an arbour press, i didnt trust Mcivering a tool to put it back on, i thought about using a piece of pipe to get er back

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I opted to repack for now. I'll give it one more season. I retire next June so I can spend next summer getting the machine all fixed up. I did make a puller out of some material I had sitting around.

i replaced this bearing on a few months ago on my 2016 i can show you a picture of the tool i made to pull it off.

i had a metal fabricating neighbour press the new bearing on with an arbour press, i didnt trust Mcivering a tool to put it back on, i thought about using a piece of pipe to get er back

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I opted to repack for now. I'll give it one more season. I retire next June so I can spend next summer getting the machine all fixed up. I did make a puller out of some material I had sitting around.
The seal on this bearing is very easy to pop out, clean with varsol & repack. This bearing doesn't live in a harsh environment like the skid bearings do so if you do slightly nick the seal it's not a big deal. I think most of the time these bearing just run out of grease & then get in trouble. Anytime I have my jackshaft out I usually pop one seal out & see how the grease looks, only once did I need to replace this bearing as it had gone to long with very little grease.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What percentage of fill is over packing? What does over packing cause that is detrimental to the bearing ? Besides possibly blowing the seals out, what else.
Here is an article on the effects of over greasing. The Dangers of Overgreasing.

If a bearing is run without sufficient lubrication, even for a relatively short time in a high speed/load application, microscopic degradation of the races & rolling elements begins and the bearing begins a path to failure. Re-greasing may help but it will not stop this process.

So be careful with the re-greasing of bearings and "if in doubt, change it out" using proper installation/removal procedure.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Here is an article on the effects of over greasing. The Dangers of Overgreasing.

If a bearing is run without sufficient lubrication, even for a relatively short time in a high speed/load application, microscopic degradation of the races & rolling elements begins and the bearing begins a path to failure. Re-greasing may help but it will not stop this process.

So be careful with the re-greasing of bearings and "if in doubt, change it out" using proper installation/removal procedure.
This was a good article but, it read like it pertained to using a grease gun. I'm applying new grease in the jackshaft bearing with my finger...

Not claiming it doesn't apply, but applying grease under pressure into a sealed bearing doesn't sound like the same thing we're doing here.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts

Do not believe every thing posted. Extra grease will get pushed out when run and never had any issues 50+ years (Blown Seals, Failed Bearings, ETC.)! It is surprising how little grease is required to keep bearings lubed.

Bob

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
95% of people unfortunately have no clue how much grease is supposed to be in a bearing. For the cost of the bearing, just replace it.
Too much grease will cause the brg temp to spike.
That article is very accurate about greasing bearings, and a open mind needs to be present reading it. There are lots of different bearing and seal applications out there.
FYI you cannot grease a sealed lip seal AKA A RS style bearing with a grease gun like the one on the jackshaft of a sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts