Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding around the other day everything is running good , then on my way back up to park it , it dies about 25' from the shelter. Darn , try to start it again and it only will sputtersputter, ..... Lost compression on the PTO side, plug color looks good and there is no aluminum chunks on it , top of the piston looks OK, from what I can see throughthrough the plug hole. Looks like I will have to do a bit of exploratory surgery.
Blizzard 6500 type 345, I'm super bummed because there is snow drags coming up next month and I wanted to show these new school brats how us old guys can flatten our eyeballs with a sled that is almost 40 years old.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plenty of time to get that thing back on the starting line! Oh how my 14 year old heart lusted after one when they were new. Guess that one is on my bucket list.
I loved it when these sleds came into our dealership for service, we had gas pumps out front and a race track out back and I really had to make sure that all the performance sleds got the proper "test ride" that they deserved. I wanted to make sure that the customers had the best. "Wink wink"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aww shucks, piston broke and I haven't had a drink all day.
Looks like I be needing a new piston and rings
Cylinder isn't scored at all, dome looks salvageable.
What do you guys think? Do both sides while its apart? How about the head, what should I do with it? Can I run a hone on these jugs to scoff them up a bit or what?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If it was mine....If the cylinders and crank are within spec I'd give the bores a lite hone, two new piston/rings, wrist pin bearings. Check side play on the big end of the rods and call it good. I'd also knock down the high spots on the damaged head with coarse sandpaper.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's just the 1 side, the other side is really good just a bad pic , has a bit of carbon that's all, and yes rv340lc-1977 I will need parts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Definitely need to do both. Doing just one is asking for more trouble and it will probably happen soon. This is a good opportunity to upgrade your motor a little. Especially if you are going to drag race your sled. In that case you could make sure the two new pistons and rings are balanced ( weigh exactly the same). I would also clean up the heads to a good polish. Would make a sweet motor. And I agree with TheBearAK , something was off and making you run lean, better check out your carb settings and make sure the jets are clean and the correct size. The plugs look ok but make sure they are the right heat range , as that is easy and cheap to fix. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts